• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route advice for Newbie

KBM

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,
First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat!
I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2 nights in Porto and two rest days)
I will be travelling mainly alone and would love any advice!
I plan to start with litoral/coastal for 5 days, have a day off in Caminha and then cross over from Caminha to Vila Nova and join the Central. At Pontevede I was going to take another rest day and then onto the Spiritual walk to Padron ( over four days) before finishing in Santiago
I’d really appreciate any comments on that route
( overnights in Porto / Labruge /Agucadoura /Castelodo do Neira /Carreco / Caminha /Caminha / Vila Nova de Cerveira / Tui / Porrino / Redondela / Ponteveda / Pontevede / Combarro / Armenteira / Villanova / Padron / Milladora / Santiago
This is an amazingly helpful and encouraging forum , I’m so pleased to have found it!
Many thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Central route north of Porto and last year the Variante from Valenca, but your plan for combining the Litoral, Costal, Central and Variante sounds pretty good. My only question is whether you are contemplating catching the boat into Padron. I think that is well worth doing, albeit walking that section from Vilanova to Padron is clearly an option.

I also like stopping somewhere closer to Santiago on the night before walking a short stage into the cathedral, although I have normally stayed a little further away than Milladora. I find that it avoids the rush that develops with people walking from the Padron area who want to get into SDC in one day.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Doug. Your stages seem very reasonable. I've not walked the Spiritual Variant or that hop from Caminha to Valenca/Tui, but and you seem to allowing yourself plenty of time. If you're taking the boat from Vilanova to Pedron you could walk closer to SdC that day. The Milladoiro Albergue is nice, large, and relatively new. Hostel Casa do Sardão in Carreco is very nice. While Caminha is a nice place, I'd be tempted to take a rest day in Valenca instead. I think the Agucadoura Albergue is also relatively new as well.

Hope this helps, Buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Your stages seem very reasonable. I walked a similar route as you last year (except the Spiritual). I loved that Camino <3 I started with two night in Porto, where I walked and then took the metro back, and than the bus out to start walking again. That way I got a slow start without my backpack. I loved staying Caminha - they had an amazing massage at Bom Caminha albergue. I also had my last night in O Milladoiro and than had a short walk in to Santiago in the morning.

If you are interested, I have put my stages on Instagram (in my signature), with a relive video of each stage as well.

I added the Spiritual Variant to the Central route and was so happy I did. The boat/ferry ride it offers was amazing and a definite highlight for me. Thankfully I was fortunate to have a warm, sunny day.
Screenshot_20240413-163448~2.pngScreenshot_20240413-163459~2.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.