• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Intro plus arriving SdeC from London Gatwick April 27~ share taxi?

• Thread starter Deleted member 86334
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 86334

Hello dear friends
My name is Mary, I'm looking forward to my pilgrimage starting 27 April 2019.
It's my 1st time and as I'm late 60's with a "fantastic" health issue, I am walking the last leg from Sarria to SdeC.
I am fit having taught yoga for the last 20+ years yet, was shocked to find I had Osteoporosis 2 years ago.
Broke my pelvis! I healed very quickly and have walked at every opportunity. I live in Scotland.
My reason for walking The Camino is my great friend died last year, same age, so I asked myself:
What do I want to do before I die? Hence, The Camino called me ...
Question 1: Is there anyone arriving from London Gatwick around 09:45 in Santiago who would share a taxi
to Sarria? I believe it's around the 100 euro mark but please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Question 2: Does anyone know El Malecon In Sarria and if so, is it convenient for my start on 28th or would you suggest an alternative?
Question 3: I've got John Brierley's book, are these small maps sufficient for a sole traveller?
Thank you in anticipation.
Blessings, Mary

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@YogaMary68 welcome to the forum. If you're landing Santiago at 9:45 I dread to think what your departure time is from the Devil's Field. Enjoy that sunrise!

1: I won't be landing anytime around then but if I was I'd probably just take the bus from the airport to Lugo and pick-up the connection to Sarria from there. There is a regular service, here is the posted timetable http://www.empresafreire.com/html/ingles/seccion3a.php

2: Never been near the place, other than to walk through Sarria. Everywhere in Sarria is convenient to the Camino Frances and El Malecon is closer to the route than some.

3: Just follow the yellow arrows, or the Pilgrim in front. Mr Brierley's maps are more than adequate for following the Camino Frances. They are of little use to those who might wonder what is over that hill to left or right, but for getting you to Santiago they are perfect.

Enjoy your camino!!

Taxis are €130 and take about 90 minutes. There are several you can pre-book:
Bus is much cheaper (€15) but takes about 3 hours. You get the Empresa Freire bus from the airport to Lugo bus station where you have to change to get the Monbus bus to Sarria but it is quite easy. The bus timetable for Saturdays is as follows:
SANTIAGO
AIRPORT
ARRIVE LUGO
DEPART LUGO
SARRIA
07:00​
07:15​
09:00​
10:30​
11:00​
11:15​
13:00​
13:45​
14:15​
12:45​
14:45​
17:30​
18:00​
16:00​
16:15​
18:05​
18:35​
19:05​
18:30​
18:45​
20:30​
20:45​
21:15​

The El Malecon is just a few metres away from the Camino. Personally, I prefer the Don Alvaro or the DP Cristal. If you are interested I have a list of places (both albergues and private rooms) to stay when I take a group. Just message me if you would like a copy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bus is much cheaper (€15) but takes about 3 hours. You get the Empresa Freire bus from the airport to Lugo bus station where you have to change to get the Monbus bus to Sarria but it is quite easy. The bus timetable for Saturdays is as follows:
SANTIAGO
AIRPORT
ARRIVE LUGO
DEPART LUGO
SARRIA

The El Malecon is just a few metres away from the Camino. Personally, I prefer the Don Alvaro or the DP Cristal. If you are interested I have a list of places (both albergues and private rooms) to stay when I take a group. Just message me if you would like a copy.
Thanks Mark. Yes please I’d like a copy. Do you book directly or through Booking.com? Grateful for your help. Mary

SANTIAGO
AIRPORT
ARRIVE LUGO
DEPART LUGO
SARRIA

There is also a train from Lugo to Sarria that takes less than an hour

I´d personally prefer the bus: much less expensive and I like to travel as locals do...I feel it is part of the experience, and I like the challenge.
Hostal el Malecón does not seem to be an albergue, but a "hostal", a kind of hotel. There are reviews in tripadvisor; take a glance of them. I stayed in albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena, which is in a quiet street, in a magnificent building, out (but not very far) of the downtown noise, exactly where the Camino leaves the city.
Carry a guide if you like the idea, but the path is perfectly signposted, and you will be always with other walkers in sight -it is not a hike in the wilderness, you basically go from village to village.
Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
SANTIAGO
AIRPORT
ARRIVE LUGO
DEPART LUGO
SARRIA

@YogaMary68 welcome to the forum. If you're landing Santiago at 9:45 I dread to think what your departure time is from the Devil's Field. Enjoy that sunrise!

1: I won't be landing anytime around then but if I was I'd probably just take the bus from the airport to Lugo and pick-up the connection to Sarria from there. There is a regular service, here is the posted timetable http://www.empresafreire.com/html/ingles/seccion3a.php

2: Never been near the place, other than to walk through Sarria. Everywhere in Sarria is convenient to the Camino Frances and El Malecon is closer to the route than some.

3: Just follow the yellow arrows, or the Pilgrim in front. Mr Brierley's maps are more than adequate for following the Camino Frances. They are of little use to those who might wonder what is over that hill to left or right, but for getting you to Santiago they are perfect.

Enjoy your camino!!
Thanh you! I noticed that you are a Moderator of the website. Does it take time for the donation to go through? It isn’t showing yet on my post. I think the bus sounds fine and perhaps I’ll see more of the countryside.

Enjoy your camino!!
There is also a train from Lugo to Sarria that takes less than an hour
Thank you, Mark. I appreciate all of that information. Mary

I´d personally prefer the bus: much less expensive and I like to travel as locals do...I feel it is part of the experience, and I like the challenge.
Hostal el Malecón does not seem to be an albergue, but a "hostal", a kind of hotel. There are reviews in tripadvisor; take a glance of them. I stayed in albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena, which is in a quiet street, in a magnificent building, out (but not very far) of the downtown noise, exactly where the Camino leaves the city.
Carry a guide if you like the idea, but the path is perfectly signposted, and you will be always with other walkers in sight -it is not a hike in the wilderness, you basically go from village to village.
Buen camino!
Thank you, Felipe. Yes the bus does seem to be better - and cheaper - and the Monasterio sounds great. Mary

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I seem to be writing my replies in the wrong place ~ apologies. Just learning the ropes! M.

Thanks Mark. Yes please I’d like a copy. Do you book directly or through Booking.com? Grateful for your help. Mary
I prefer to book directly if possible as the hostels and pensions tend to prefer it and it helps build up a relationship.

Mark
I seem to have lost your kind offer of private rooms to stay in. After Palais de Rei I need somewhere before Ribadiso. Then the next night will be May 1st - a holiday - so think it best to book that night too. Any recommendations gratefully received. (I managed a room in DP Cristal thanks). Mary

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back