• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introducing myself, planning Frances May-June 2015

SeaHorse

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015 (SJPDP-Finisterre), planning Norte
Hi, everybody, :)

I'm not a catholic, not even a christian, I'm hereditary heathen and wasn't looking for el Camino, el Camino found me and I'm going. You have to do what you have to do. As the Codex Callista says pagans, jews and vagabonds may go too.

After long planning period everything seems to be ready for launch on May 2015: vacation days saved, health updated, bag almost packed, etc, etc. Average fitness level including walks, cycling, slacklining, and gym. And hip replacement. Among other irrelevant languages I speak Spanish, English (as seen), some crippled French.

Start in a forgotten kingdom just across France, thats where I live after moved out of the woods. By plane to Biarritz, train to SJPDP and walk to Finisterre/Muxia. My 50th birthday will be on el Camino, initially wanted to celebrate on the place of Roland's battle, but will start earlier, still close enough. The idea is to keep more or less to the guidebook stages plus in biggest cities take a day off for sightseeing (read: blister care). This way I may meet summer Solstice by the ocean. And by plane back.

Found this forum a long time ago and really looking forward to meet you all wonderful people. I'm tall blonde female walking on my own but I'm friendly so hopefully not totally alone all the way.
:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sounds like you have a good plan there and have done your homework and are ready to go.
Some will probably come on here and go into the pros and cons of doing the "stages" in the guidebook. Whatever. Yada, yada, yada. You got a good plan and stick with it.
Buen Camino.

Thanks, Mark. About the "stages" - I'm either flexible or chaotic, but the stages will be very approximate. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
.... The idea is to keep more or less to the guidebook stages plus in biggest cities take a day off for sightseeing ....

...Some will probably come on here and go into the pros and cons of doing the "stages" in the guidebook. Whatever. Yada, yada, yada. ...

That would be me ;-) Sticking to the guidebook stages has a couple of disadvantages: A lot of guidebooks have the same stages, a lot of people stick to them = a lot of people in the same places/overcrowding.
Also, by listening to your body, instead of following what somebody else has written on paper, the risk of 'overdoing it', especially in the beginning is lower. Less blisters and less pain in joints and tendons.
Buen Camino! SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I second @SYates
Liaten to your body, take frequent short breaks, let your feet breathe and practice R. I. C. E. regimen for your feet (rest, ice, compression, elevation)
Buen Camino!

Sticking to the guidebook stages has a couple of disadvantages
Guidebooks and their stops vary a bit, but the variations are limited by the authors trying to find stages that are 20-25 km long, and stopping in the major cities. Once you stop "between guidebook towns," you can stay out of synchronization with the standard suggestions. Of course, then you stop at a memorable city, Burgos for example, and you are back with the crowd! Buen camino.

Listen to body - sure, breaks - sure, can't mis cafe con leche or vino tinto, but R.I.C.E.? ok for 3 parts of it, but no ice comes near my feet or any other part of my body. That would be a sure way to stop my Camino altogether or worse. This is how it goes: ice on feet --> infection on glands in throat --> infection in hip replacement --> the end. I can easy stand rain and wind, even snow on bare feet, but no ice. No, no. But then its Spain in spring-summer, I believe there will not be too much unavoidable ice around. :)

Yes, true, I want to see the memorable cities, not just run through them. Planned +/- an extra day for each. Thats one of the reasons I take my photo camera (yes, I know, it ads to the weight of the pack, but I managed to keep the total including "wear" under 10 kg, heaviest being boots, camera and fleece). Other - want to take pics of animals, not necessary wild ones, pigeons, dogs or cows will do too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My experience was that feet get warm and swollen during walking and soaking or showering the feet in ice cold water after a day's walk feels great.
But that worked for me, if you have a medical condition that this treatment could cause harm obviously avoid it

I'm not a catholic, not even a christian, I'm hereditary heathen and wasn't looking for el Camino, el Camino found me and I'm going. You have to do what you have to do. As the Codex Callista says pagans, jews and vagabonds may go too.

After long planning period everything seems to be ready for launch on May 2015: vacation days saved, health updated, bag almost packed, etc, etc. Average fitness level including walks, cycling, slacklining, and gym. And hip replacement. Among other irrelevant languages I speak Spanish, English (as seen), some crippled French.

Start in a forgotten kingdom just across France, thats where I live after moved out of the woods. By plane to Biarritz, train to SJPDP and walk to Finisterre/Muxia. My 50th birthday will be on el Camino, initially wanted to celebrate on the place of Roland's battle, but will start earlier, still close enough. The idea is to keep more or less to the guidebook stages plus in biggest cities take a day off for sightseeing (read: blister care). This way I may meet summer Solstice by the ocean. And by plane back.

Found this forum a long time ago and really looking forward to meet you all wonderful people. I'm tall blonde female walking on my own but I'm friendly so hopefully not totally alone all the way.

Will also spend my 50th birthday on the camino! And what a wonderful place to be!
Buen Camino :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great! Three is a company, right? I shall be 50 on 17th May and geographically be around Santo Domingo de Calzada. Possibly a friend will join me on that stretch (arriving on Ascension and staying the weekend at least). I'll have my birthday copa on Pyrenees, Rolands battle site, if possible.

Aww..I will be there in a month's time. My birthday is March 21st. But it gives me a good reason to turn around and come right back!! lol. Have a vino for me! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have spent the last two birthdays on the Camino, unfortunately I had not discovered the Camino all those years ago when I was merely 50! :((x>50)

Had my birthday on the camino last year too, and thanks to an awesome pilgrim who remembered it was my birthday, and told me about the Parador in Santo Domingo, guess where I had an awesome spoiled, relaxing stay for my last forty something bday? ;)

I just realised I too will be on the Camino for my Birthday.

I stopped celebrating birthdays when I reached 40. Don't ask! Some kind of 'fight back' or refusal to acknowledge that I was getting older. Who knows....

I wonder if I'll remember this one? I think I might.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just realised I too will be on the Camino for my Birthday.

I stopped celebrating birthdays when I reached 40. Don't ask! Some kind of 'fight back' or refusal to acknowledge that I was getting older. Who knows....

I wonder if I'll remember this one? I think I might.

Aww..I wanna ask!!!! lol. I actually took my 30th harder than my 40th. Now I just blow out the candles and enjoy the cake! :)
Happy upcoming birthday and Buen Camino :)

Ugh...speaking of cake! Time to add the pack to my training schedule and based upon last years buckling..it won't close!! By a lot!! When I adjust and tighten I get 3 sets of boobs! Sigh..lol. My family thinks it's hilarious! hmmm..very funny! lol :)

A good 3-tier cake with yellow sea shell on top! Will fill up your backpack and you may earn money betting with people if they can guess whats in your bag.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A good 3-tier cake with yellow sea shell on top! Will fill up your backpack and you may earn money betting with people if they can guess whats in your bag.

Mmmm. Tempting! Well it was until I tried to close my pack around my waist anyway!! Lol.

;) The betting and earning scheme doesn't include eating the cake. Well, actually if you eat it, all the fun stops. And then that problem around the waistline. No, beautiful cakes shouldn't be eaten.

;) The betting and earning scheme doesn't include eating the cake. Well, actually if you eat it, all the fun stops. And then that problem around the waistline. No, beautiful cakes shouldn't be eaten.

Aww. So that's where I've been going wrong! Lol

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey, I am also a huge heathen and travelling the Camino Frances for the first time. I've always wanted to do it but never had the balls (so to speak) to actually go for it. I'm starting out around the first week of July, so perhaps I will see you there, I am starting out from St jean port de pied. Good luck ! x

Hey, I am also a huge heathen and travelling the Camino Frances for the first time. I've always wanted to do it but never had the balls (so to speak) to actually go for it. I'm starting out around the first week of July, so perhaps I will see you there, I am starting out from St jean port de pied. Good luck ! x
:) I'll be about a month ahead, with good luck! 13th-14th already in Santiago. Then Finisterre/Muxia and 18th home.
Buen Camino!

Hi Seahorse, Hopefully our paths may cross - My husband and I are starting el Camino from SJPdP on 18 May ( I am tall and blond and a year or 2 older than you)! Buen Camino and Happy Birthday.

Buen Camino @SeaHorse ! The Camino is a wonderful place to celebrate your birthday. My avatar photo was taken on my birthday last year, on the walk to Cruz de Ferro/Acebo. I have very happy memories of that day.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.