• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introduction Note: Virginia J. Pulver - "Ginn"

vjpulver

Crazy Chicken Lady with the Camino on my Mind!
Time of past OR future Camino
Apr-Jun 2009 - I solo walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago. I hope to return as a hospitalera in 2016.
Greetings you Intrepid Pilgrims!

The "seed was planted many years ago - back in the early 1970's when I found myself suddenly (unexpectedly) living near Madrid. I give James Michenir's "Iberia" credit for planting that seed which has laid dormant for all these years. Now circumstances seem to be warming the soil and the tiny seed is sprouting, reaching toward the sun.

A little about me - My spouse and I returned last May from 27 months in Ukraine (Peace Corps) and are currently serving a year in AmeriCorps*VISTA here in sunny Santa Fe, NM. I am retired from the US Air Force (22 years) and also taught Junior ROTC for a few years.

I hope to manage my pilgrimage next spring (Class of 2009 now forming!) in order to accommodate my need to finish my AmeriCorps*VISTA year and then find a responsible, adult job that will help me when I really transition to retirment. I want to sandwich this adventure in before I get locked into a "job". Soooo, perhaps in April-May. Route: I hope to begin from Roncevalles.

FYI: I am very interested in hearing from older women who have made the pilgrimage and also women who have done the pilgrimage alone. I imagine there may be logistics, etc that are unique to people in those categories, but I am also insatiable about reading what others have to say.

Ahhh...I am rambling on a bit...I will close for now.

"Ginn"
Read my Journals: http://www.pulverpages.com

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Ginn and welcome to the Forum :)
From your intro I understand you are at the upper end of pilgrim age,(whatever that may be) but don't be surprised if you meet pilgrims who are a little older than you. In fact that is where I'm a little confused in that you indicate that you are still working - there are many pilgrims who have retired - but you seem to be aiming for another job.
However, to your question re pilgrimage and 'older' women - as a man I can't answer the question except to say that I met many women on the pilgrimage who seemed to have no problems specific to their age group, their courage and determination were as strong as any other. But I hope you get further advice from forum members.
Buen Camino,

Brendan

Hello Ginn,
I had a look at your website and I must say that you don't look anywhere close to the 'upper end' of a pilgrim age!! I guess that if you were in the Air Force for 22 years then you might be late 40s or early 50s which puts you into the age group with the second highest number of pilrims. (The 26 to 35 is the highest with 22 720 in 2006 and 24 885 in 2007),

Here are a few stats of pilgrim numbers from 2006/2007. These do not include all the pilgrims who were walking a camino route in those years, only those who received the certificate in Santiago.

Men 2006 59 416 2007 47 246
Women 2006 40 961 2007 66 780

The age stats are not gender specific:

From 46 to 55 2006 17 681 2007 21 285
From 56 to 65 2006 15 872 2007 18 888
From 66 to 75 2006 4 606 2007 5 975
Over 75 2006 342 2007 468

I don't think there are any logistics that are different for men or women, young or old. On the camino everyone is equal, all walk under the same conditions, all 'endure' the same difficulties.
I would guess that as many, if not more, women walk on their own.
Enjoy your planning!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome, Ginn,

You have come to the right place for information on all things "Camino". Here you will find a wealth of information on virtually any topic related (and occasionally, unrelated!) to the Way.

What an interesting website you have! I perused it briefly and found myself fascinated!

I walked my first Camino last July/Aug (alone!)and will be returning to Spain next month with a group of 15 students. When they have finished their course, I shall decide how I shall spend the latter part of my summer. I'm leaning toward the Camino del Norte - although I'm not sure I want to walk it alone. Perhaps it is the fact of having experienced such remarkable comraderie with other Pilgrims on the Francés, or perhaps it is the fear of not having that companionship on the Norte, I'm not sure.

There are so many parts of the Francés I wish to see and experience again. Now that I actually know what I"m getting myself into! And I would love to begin in Lourdes! Tough choices, here.

On the home page of this site, Ivar has linked to many photos, but if you would like to see mine, here is the link to my webalbum. http://picasaweb.google.com/aStoirin/CaminoDeSantiago

Buen Camino

Hi Ginn! I'm in my 40's (eek) & have made 2 trips to the camino. I started off walking by myself, but each time, I've found a group of people to walk with or meet up with at the end of the day. No troubles at all being a woman travelling by myself.

Kelly

Welcome-

I'll be starting my first Camino from SJPP in 4 weeks and would love to share experiences, once returned as I'm "just down the road" in Las Cruces, NM and certainly make it up to Albuquerque from time to time. I guess that at 58 I qualify for the "older women" category. And OBTW I was also a PCV in Colombia a long time ago!!! Marnie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Greetings Brendan!

Oh I am pushing 60...not so old, compared to my AmeriCorps*VISTA counterpart who is a vigorous 84 year old dynamo!

What I am interested in is hearing about how more mature (physically not mentally) women handle some of the challenges - packing light, toting things, travelling alone...these things seem different as one gains more experience. Somehow, in my experience, everythings seems so much easier atthis stage in life. I understand people who simply set off on the pilgrimage. In my Peace Corps experience, many of the 20-somethings seemed to have a lot of angst about the packing list, the commitment, etc...

Well, more later no doubt! I hope to read more from the archives over the next few months. Thanks to all you veteran posters who share your joys and advise with those of us aspiring wannabe pilgrims!

"Ginn"
In Sunny Santa Fe
http://www.pulverpages.com

brendan nolan said:
Hi Ginn and welcome to the Forum :)
From your intro I understand you are at the upper end of pilgrim age,(whatever that may be) but don't be surprised if you meet pilgrims who are a little older than you. In fact that is where I'm a little confused in that you indicate that you are still working - there are many pilgrims who have retired - but you seem to be aiming for another job....

Brendan

Hello Sil!

Thanks for the stats! Your speculation on age is a bit off - I am pushing 60...a late bloomer starting my Air Force career late and painting all over the canvas of my life.

The logistics may be similar for men and women, for young and old and older, etc, but still I would like to hear about those independent women who have set off on this adventure. As the years passed I feel so much more capable and ,ore free to be myself and I am interested to hear if other women experience that sense of grace. I feel more free to simply do ratherthan to be bogged down in planning and details.

Well, thanks for the kind response. I look forward to getting aquainted and hearing your stories and advice as I patiently wait for my opportunity to head off!

Life is good...

"Ginn"
In Sunny Santa Fe

sillydoll said:
Hello Ginn,
I had a look at your website and I must say that you don't look anywhere close to the 'upper end' of a pilgrim age!! I guess that if you were in the Air Force for 22 years then you might be late 40s or early 50s which puts you into the age group with the second highest number of pilrims. (The 26 to 35 is the highest with 22 720 in 2006 and 24 885 in 2007),....

...I don't think there are any logistics that are different for men or women, young or old. On the camino everyone is equal, all walk under the same conditions, all 'endure' the same difficulties.
I would guess that as many, if not more, women walk on their own.
Enjoy your planning!

Hello Deidre - You are and adventurous one - taking students overseas takes a kind of courage that many of us do not have! (I did a stint as a courier - yikes! What stories I have about that! And my AF JROTC years gave me lots of grey hair on roadtrips with my wild and crazy dcadets!)

I look forward to looking at your website - probably this weekend - my weekdays ar just too packed lately...but it is all good!

More later!

"Ginn"
In Sunny Santa Fe

EXCERPT FOLLOWS:
Deirdre said:
Welcome, Ginn,

...I walked my first Camino last July/Aug (alone!)and will be returning to Spain next month with a group of 15 students. When they have finished their course, I shall decide how I shall spend the latter part of my summer. ... On the home page of this site, Ivar has linked to many photos, but if you would like to see mine, here is the link to my webalbum. http://picasaweb.google.com/aStoirin/CaminoDeSantiago

Buen Camino

Hello Kelly!

Two trips to the Camino - wow ...you probably have some great stories to share! Like you, I expect to meet compatible companions as I walk...

I do not think there are troubles associated with travelling, I am simply interested in hearing from women (especially 50 years plus) who may have some insights into the special joys and freedom that comes with being independent and willing to take a risk.

Life is good - just a little short! :cool:

"Ginn"
Heading off to the Rat Race...

EXCERPT FOLLOWS:
WolverineDG said:
Hi Ginn! I'm in my 40's (eek) & have made 2 trips to the camino. I started off walking by myself, but each time, I've found a group of people to walk with or meet up with at the end of the day. No troubles at all being a woman travelling by myself.

Kelly

Gooooood Morning Marnie!

Wow - I imagine your anticipation level is spiking! I will be eagerly looking forward to hearing about your experience. We have a lot in common...age, PCV, NM, etc...

You know in March 2009 there is a huge gathering of Camino pilgrims gathering in Albuquerque...I plan to be there. It should be a great start to my own pilgrimage.

Well, gotta get dressed and head off to my AmeriCorps*VISTA "job" ... running late! More later I hope!

Life is good...

"Ginn"

marniedent said:
Welcome-

I'll be starting my first Camino from SJPP in 4 weeks and would love to share experiences, once returned as I'm "just down the road" in Las Cruces, NM and certainly make it up to Albuquerque from time to time. I guess that at 58 I qualify for the "older women" category. And OBTW I was also a PCV in Colombia a long time ago!!! Marnie

Hey Lady! You've definitly hit the right spot...I don't know what I would have done w/o this forum and all the amazing discussions and advice and kindnesses! We (my husband, the Reluctant Pilgrim and two friends) in 9 days! We're doing the Camino Portuguese, due to short time. However, my friend Adrianne and I are already planning the next one! Just started a blog for the friends back home, so hopefully we can stay in touch with everyone while we're away! Loved looking at yours, and will probably keep it up after Camino...now that I have some small clue what I'm doing!

Wishing you all the best in your planning!

Buen Camino, Karin :arrow:
http://ksam-caminoportuguese.blogspot.com

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ginn, please feel free to browse my blog. I have an entry there regarding two fantastic women from Norway (who I didn't meet up with again unfortunately). Besta (Grandma in Norway) is in her 70's or 80's & well, read my blog & you'll see what I mean. :)

Kelly

Hi Ginn, :)
I think you are right about people our age finding things easier re planning. I'm not criticising the younger folks but they do seem to worry about the effectiveness of equipment and how many grams it weighs, far more than people our age - I last walked from home in 2005 in my 60th year, 1st pilgrimage was from Le puy when I was 50. The lack of worry maybe down to life experience - when you have worked your way through life and maybe brought up a family, what's the problem with a long hike! :!: :arrow:
On the Pilgrimage some of the older folk are able to approach it in a more tranquil way, but it doesn't apply to all. However the older women I have seen on the Way did not seem to suffer more than younger pilgrims, in fact they maybe suffered less because they were more relaxed and didn't try to go faster than their age allowed, something that young folks often tend to do; the feeling of being invincible crumbles with the blisters, aches in the shins, muscles seizing up!
When working as hospitalero last year our oldest pilgrim was a 74 year old German woman - not her first pilgrimage - she keeps walking the camino because she wants to die with her boots on! :eek:
Buen Camino

Brendan

Hi Ginn-

Do you have any more details on the March 2009 pilgrim gathering in Albuquerque? Dtae, agenda, etc. Sounds like something I'd like to go to and would like to put it on my calendar now!!!

Hello!

Yes, the US gathering will be in Albuquerque, NM, March 10-17 2009. You can get details at http://www.americanpilgrims.com. There will also be training for people who wish to work at the refugios.

It will be a great send off for me! :cool:

I am off to bed soon...sleepy, sleepy, sleepy...

"Ginn"

marniedent said:
Hi Ginn-

Do you have any more details on the March 2009 pilgrim gathering in Albuquerque? Dtae, agenda, etc. Sounds like something I'd like to go to and would like to put it on my calendar now!!!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.