• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introductions and whatnot

HallOfFreedom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés April 26, 2016
Hello all, my name is Michael. I first heard about the Camino de Santiago almost 2 years ago and it simmered in my imagination. The idea of backpacking through Europe has appealed to me since college, but was always as a "when finances are solid" kind of thought. Now, ten years later, I seem no closer to that dream.

I am 30 years old, unattached, and attempting to get traction towards a filmmaking career. I've recently come to realize that I probably won't achieve much without taking a risk and going out on faith, so I've decided to start squirreling away whatever I can and head to Camino Frances in the fall of 2016.

I've seen folks talking about their reasons for taking the pilgrimage. I suppose the biggest reason for me right now is just being somewhere else for a while, somewhere completely different than Ohio, USA. I've spent my whole life here, and it is starting to feel like quicksand. The thought of being immersed in a different culture, forced to mingle with and get to know people I otherwise would never meet, the idea of it is exhilarating!

I also think that it will give me an opportunity to do some soul-searching and learn something about the kind of person I really am when I step out of my life. I hope to discover that I really can be an interesting and proactive person, not just a dreamer going nowhere.

So that's me, that's why I'm here.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome.

Isnt it amazing this feeling....this calling to walk the Camino.

Best wishes for your planning.
I miss that part of my camino so much some times.

Thank you. I just read a post about starting in Ireland. I really wish that was possible financially for me at this point lol. Always wanted to go there

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I too will be making a pilgrimage in September 2016, God willing of course. As far as saving for it I opened a savings account specifically for the camino and deposit $40 per week. There are approximately 80 weeks until September 1st so if you do something similar you will have about $3200 saved which should be adequate for the camino expenses and gear. Might have some towards airfare but that depends on the rates at that time. Good luck in your preparation and remember your camino starts as soon as you say you're gonna do it. Preparation is physical, spiritual, emotional, and financial. Need to focus on all of them. Good luck in your prep!:)

Blessings and Buen Camino!
Jen

Thank you very much, and buen camino to you as well. Will this be your first too?

Thank you very much, and buen camino to you as well. Will this be your first too?
Yes, it will be my first camino. So psyched for it!! There are a whole lot of books written by people who have walked the way. I enjoy reading them, for the most part, as they kind of take me there and I am walking with them! Look them up!

Blessings and Buen Camino!
Jen

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very cool. I haven't read any books yet, but I have bookmarked "Hiking the Camino: 500 Miles With Jesus" by Fr Dave Pivonka and "A Village to Village Guide to Hiking the Camino De Santiago" by Anna Dintamin. I am certainly open to suggestions if you have any

Very cool. I haven't read any books yet, but I have bookmarked "Hiking the Camino: 500 Miles With Jesus" by Fr Dave Pivonka and "A Village to Village Guide to Hiking the Camino De Santiago" by Anna Dintamin. I am certainly open to suggestions if you have any
Hi! I just finished "Field of Stars" by Kevin Codd (written by a priest, pretty good, some good spirituality); "Walk in a relxed manner" by Joyce Rupp (written by a nun, very good, very spiritual); "Walking home" by Sonia Choquette (didn't like it much because she cheated the whole way I thought - had her backpack transported from village to vilage and had reservations to stay at hostels booked in advance. I might be wrong, but she wasn't a true pilgrim in my eyes); "The long road home" (forgot author, not good at all, complained about her blisters and aches and pains ad nauseum, no spirituality); "Off the road" Jack Hitt (OK, the movie The Way is based on this book); "The Camino" by Shirley Maclaine (Stay far away from this book - it was ridiculous! She is just way too out there for me. Sorry SM)

So, I've read a few. Haven't found one I've fallen in love with yet. Really seeking a spiritually rich one. I'll look up the one you mentioned.

Blesssings and Buen Camino!

Welcome HallofFreedom this title should suit you pilgrim :
To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela Paperback – 10 Jan 2008
by Kevin A. Codd (Author) Little expensive but worth every penny IMHO

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So, Michael, hello. That niggling, the persistent itch .... no choice really, you have been called and it will not give you rest until you go.

Here's a thing - if you start that new career there never ever will be time in the future to take five weeks or so off ... here's another thing - the Camino is such an extraordinary experience, for many people their lives are changed forever ... so ... why not squirrel fast and go now!! - now!! and then start the new careeer upon your return .... if you still want to do that after Camino, you may not you know

Buen Camino

Hello all, my name is Michael. I first heard about the Camino de Santiago almost 2 years ago and it simmered in my imagination. The idea of backpacking through Europe has appealed to me since college, but was always as a "when finances are solid" kind of thought. Now, ten years later, I seem no closer to that dream.

I am 30 years old, unattached, and attempting to get traction towards a filmmaking career. I've recently come to realize that I probably won't achieve much without taking a risk and going out on faith, so I've decided to start squirreling away whatever I can and head to Camino Frances in the fall of 2016.

I've seen folks talking about their reasons for taking the pilgrimage. I suppose the biggest reason for me right now is just being somewhere else for a while, somewhere completely different than Ohio, USA. I've spent my whole life here, and it is starting to feel like quicksand. The thought of being immersed in a different culture, forced to mingle with and get to know people I otherwise would never meet, the idea of it is exhilarating!

I also think that it will give me an opportunity to do some soul-searching and learn something about the kind of person I really am when I step out of my life. I hope to discover that I really can be an interesting and proactive person, not just a dreamer going nowhere.

So that's me, that's why I'm here.

Welcome to the forum Michael
You'll be on the Camino before you know it. :)
Happy planning!!

Welcome Michael!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome HallofFreedom this title should suit you pilgrim :
To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela Paperback – 10 Jan 2008
by Kevin A. Codd (Author) Little expensive but worth every penny IMHO

I'm reading his book now, and am enjoying it : )

Thank you all for the welcomes and suggested reading list! @JenD, you had me laughing with your mini-reviews. If you get that book soon, you will have to tell me if it is any good.

@David, thank you for the encouragement. I am already semi-involved in my film career, just not sure what will come next. My current lack of income and savings prevents me from packing and leaving with the thaw (that, plus I'd like to go in the fall for my first Camino). I haven't dismissed the possibility of going this year instead of next, but that would require several serendipitous factors to line up. If it is God's will, and if I came manage to be faithful to His will, then I would be glad to go in 2015

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you all for the welcomes and suggested reading list! @JenD, you had me laughing with your mini-reviews. If you get that book soon, you will have to tell me if it is any good.

@David, thank you for the encouragement. I am already semi-involved in my film career, just not sure what will come next. My current lack of income and savings prevents me from packing and leaving with the thaw (that, plus I'd like to go in the fall for my first Camino). I haven't dismissed the possibility of going this year instead of next, but that would require several serendipitous factors to line up. If it is God's will, and if I came manage to be faithful to His will, then I would be glad to go in 2015

If it is God's Will, and if the stars line up and create serendipity for you, I hope that you depart around the first of October! I will be your friend if that's the case, but in any case--I am most certainly very glad for you. It's nice to meet you, and remember that doing what you love will create prosperity and freedom, and happiness beyond measure.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.