• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Pontevedra a 'must visit' city?

MauiGail

Time of past OR future Camino
CP, 2024
Bom dia. My friends and I will be starting our first camino, the Portuguese, in mid April. I'm wondering if we should make sure to spend time in Pontevedra or walk on to the Hotel Rural in Campaniola, 5.5 km down the road. My only reason for considering this alternative is because the highly rated Hotel Rural has spa services and I think my friends would be happy to take advantage of those. We can easily resume our walking on the Spiritual Variant the next morning. However, if Pontevedra is a 'must see' city, we'll be happy to miss the spa. Perhaps we'll figure out how to do both. Thank you very much.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bom dia. My friends and I will be starting our first camino, the Portuguese, in mid April. I'm wondering if we should make sure to spend time in Pontevedra or walk on to the Hotel Rural in Campaniola, 5.5 km down the road. My only reason for considering this alternative is because the highly rated Hotel Rural has spa services and I think my friends would be happy to take advantage of those. We can easily resume our walking on the Spiritual Variant the next morning. However, if Pontevedra is a 'must see' city, we'll be happy to miss the spa. Perhaps we'll figure out how to do both. Thank you very much.
Where is the Hotel Rural? The spa sound great!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree with the above......we loved Pontevedra and made an extra day on our second CP to enjoy it.

I'm going to swim the opposite direction here! I did love Pontevedra, but we only spent an afternoon there. The pilgrim's church (Capela da Virxe Peregrina de Pontevedra) is a must see, after you enter town and right along the Camino. It would take less than an hour to see. There are also some other historic squares and buildings that you can see my photos here, at the end of the article. That could take another few hours.

However, since the stage from Redondela to Pontevedra is a shortish one, at 20 km, and if you really would enjoy a spa, I'd get up early, walk the five hours into town, spend the afternoon seeing Pontevedra and having lunch, then walk the 1.5 hour to the Hotel Rural, say around 4-5ish. You will have a reservation anyway, so no need to hurry!

Can you tell I like a good spa??

Last edited:
I'm going to swim the opposite direction here!
Good input, Elle! You are very thorough and your suggestion is a good one. I think most of us were responding to the fact the OP had mentioned possibly having to totally skip Pontevedra completely in order to do the spa, which would then be a shame.
I think you swim very well! 👍

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Personally I would opt for the spa. Unless for some reason you need the services or shopping opportunities that Pontevedra offers. It is a lovely city but not sure I would put it in the 'can't miss' category.

One of my favorite cities on the Portugese.

Pontevedra was a highlight of our time on the Portugues. It had far more than we expected. You may be able to schedule your walk so that you have time to visit it and still make it to the spa.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What would constitute a ‘must see’ city in your view and do you think you can see a ‘must see’ anything in about 24 hours?

Seriously - your day will be determined more by the weather, your present company and serendipity than trying to ‘see’ anything whilst passing through. Just go with it.

I liked Pontevedra, too. Unfortunately, we arrived on a Sunday and most everything was closed. We were able to visit the Pilgrim's Church and walk around a bit.

Seriously - your day will be determined more by the weather, your present company and serendipity than trying to ‘see’ anything whilst passing through. Just go with it.
To me, the question is more "should I spend time soaking up the atmosphere in this Spanish city that I may not get the chance to visit again, or should I go to a spa?"

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I liked Pontevedra. But it depends on what makes a city "must see" to you. I can see wanting to visit the spa, since you'll be missing the spas at Caldas de Reis if you take the Spiritual Variant.

Thanks for all of your replies. I do think it would be a good idea to spend time in Pontevedra. I emailed the Hotel Rural Campaniola and was informed that we can use their spa as day guests. So we’ll spend the afternoon and evening enjoying Pontevedra, then stop at the spa on the way to Combarro. If we want to!
Thanks again.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back