• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Japan comes to Molinaseca

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Doing a search for another thread, I found these links about a beautiful carving done in the traditional Japanese way into the wood of a living tree near the albergue in Molinaseca:

It was offered to commemorate of the linkage between the pilgrimage routes in Japan and the Camino de Santiago; an image of Kannon (Kwan Yin in Chinese/Avalokitesvara in Sanskrit/Chenrezig in Tibetan). A number of the temples on the Shikoku pilgrimage are dedicated to Kannon, a being of infinite compassion in the face of all the suffering of the world. The lotus in the carving represents purity, and the right hand is extended outward in a gesture of fearlessness, as a blessing offering protection, peace, benevolence and dispelling of fear.

To say I am sorry to have missed this goes without saying!
The first time on the Frances the carving had not yet been done, and the second time I was in an incurious head down mode, on my way to meet a friend in Ponferrada, at that point just wanting to get off my feet after walking from Rabinal - but more because I simply wasn't aware of it. I certainly would have paused if I had known it was there.
Now I do, and now you do!
Next time...whenever that is...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
VNwalking thanks for these great descriptions For those who would like to see this beautiful carving the actual street address is Calle Era, 11, 24413 Molinaseca, León

At least all of us can enjoy your reportage as we continue to dream of better times to come.

Last edited:
Also in Molinaseca - obvious connection!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Geeze. I missed that too.
But on the first day of the nearby Invierno I noticed this:

Attachments

• 20190603_103036.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
VN. Must have had some traffic as you’ll see 3 yellow Camino arrows on the left!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum