• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

John Elsewhere.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Um, I’m in Bilbao and I’m half thinking about walking to Santander to catch the Wednesday night ferry to my hometown of Plymouth.

Any thoughts/ suggestions on that?

Um, I’m in Bilbao and I’m half thinking about walking to Santander to catch the Wednesday night ferry to my hometown of Plymouth.

Any thoughts/ suggestions on that?

It sounds exactly like one of those off the bat ideas that I can come up with, but almost never follow through. Most of the time I regret not doing it afterwards. So if all you need is a little confirmation, I'd say go fo it! It's just over 100 km, so you need to get moving (or take a bus or train somewhere in between).

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m going to give it a good go.

It might also smooth out the transition to your re-entry back home. You know, you'll still be walking, but now you have sort of a deadline and need to do some planning ahead.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Congratulations, John! I've really enjoyed following your blog, and your photos have been beautiful! Lots of memories brought back. It sounds as though you have had a good time in lovely San Sebastian too, and now I see you're thinking of a final bit of walking before going home! Great idea! Go for it, what a lovely way to end your time in Spain.

Buen Camino

Thank you John for sharing. Two weeks from today our flight leaves and we begin our way to SJPP. Your blog wetted the lips and motivated us that much more. May you continue your journey.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A lovely final post John. I've so enjoyed following along, rather sad to see you finish! Now you'll just have to start planning your next...! :D
I seem to have signed out of the Wordpress site, so let me say here what a delight it has been to follow you. Do let us know when the next one comes along. And also, how was the trip back by ferry?
It was serene, smooth and very peaceful.

Just the way to re-enter ordinary life.

How long did i take to reach Plymouth by Ferry? Was it a reasonable price?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
£130 for a two berth cabin (comfortable bed and bathroom with shower), taking 17 hours to get to Plymouth across the Bay of Biscay.

The weather and sea conditions were practically perfect.

Just what I hoped for.

I love Brittany Ferries.
Our preference is for their smaller ferries, Cap Finistere on Santander to Portsmouth crossing 24hrs and The Britannia on the Portsmouth St. Malo route.
The staff are all French speaking and after time in Spain that's always a great relief for me as my French is pretty fluent but my Spanish is sadly minimal.

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Crazy! That is what we were told by others when we decided to walk 500+ miles with two of our children across the top of Spain. We got a little nervous in the weeks leading up to the flight that...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back