Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Jose Antonio Cimadevila

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Today, I did a moutain route on Sierra de Madrid, Starting in Dehesas de Cercedilla to Puerto de la Fuenfria following the yelow marks and then, out of the Camino, to Cerro Minguete.
In Puerto de la Fuenfria I saw for the first time a plaque in honor of José Antonio Cimadevila Covelo who was the 'creator' of the current Camino de Madrid ( I hadn´t heard of him before). According to the article after an interview with Don Elias Valiña in 1987, he founded the Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Madrid that was decisive in the creation of the Camino de Madrid.
He was born in Santiago de Compostela but was working in Madrid as a public servant.

Last edited:
CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
As an anecdote, on my route of yesterday, at Puerto de la Fuenfria there was a man from the USA with a backpack who was not doing the Camino. In fact he didn't know anything about it. He was a mountaineer who was doing a route on the Sierra. What made me realize that the Camino is not yet so well known as we think it is.

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Today, I did a moutain route on Sierra de Madrid, Starting in Dehesas de Cercedilla to Puerto de la Fuenfria following the yelow marks and then, out of the Camino, to Cerro Minguete.
In Puerto de la Fuenfria I saw for the first time a plaque in honor of José Antonio Cimadevila Covelo who was the 'creator' of the current Camino de Madrid ( I hadn´t heard of him before). According to the article after an interview with Don Elias Valiña in 1987, he founded the Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Madrid that was decisive in the creation of the Camino de Madrid.
He was born in Santiago de Compostela but was working in Madrid as a public servant.

Thanks for this, @Pelegrin. It makes me realize how much we owe to a few individuals like Don Elias, Cuñarro/Ender (Salvador/Olvidado), Aida Menéndez (Invierno) and now Sr. Cimadevila for taking the big steps to get caminos happening. And then the thousands of individuals whose names we’ll never know, but without whose enthusiastic work we would never have the Caminos we now all know and love so well!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads