• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

KMZ and iphone

eze

Time of past OR future Camino
Francès 2005/2006
Norte 2007
Plata 2008
Eze (home) Roma
Mozarabe April 2014 (Granada-Cordoba) March 2016 (Córdoba-Merida)
Camino Gironès September 2014 (La Jonquera-Vic)
Good evening to you all,

Back on the Camino, this time, at the end of March, from Granada to walk a few stages of Mozarabe.

Monsieur Peter Robbins shows, on his very useful site, a string of maps that would be very useful to me.

I really cannot transfer the KML information to my iphone. I have read somewhere that, now on, it is possible to make Google earth transfer KML to Apple products but how ?

Anyone to help me there please ? I am equipped with a recent mac book pro and a 4S Iphone.

You ll have easily understood that i am better at walking than IT stuff...

Thanks et bonne année à tous !

Francis

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For me the easiest way is through the app MotionX GPS.

Buy MotionX (A few dollars)

Follow the manual to download the maps you need so they are available offline

Go to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input and convert the file to a .gpx file

Email the file to motion x
They will send you a return email, open in motionx, and you have the track on a base map---always, even with no cell data or wi-fi with a little blue triangle of your position.

There are many other ways, but the best software is the software you know. MotionX is worth learning.

The format you need for the GPS tracks depends on the software you will use on your iPhone. KML will definitely work on your phone -- you can get Google Earth on your phone, for example, and then load a KML file into it. The drawback of Google Earth, of course, is that you need an active Internet connection. Not always desirable if you'll be incurring roaming charges!

If you are looking to use the GPS tracks offline, then you need a different GPS app for your phone. You need to find out what formats are supported by that app. Lots support KML as-is. However, almost all GPS apps support GPX. Thus, if you convert the KML to GPX format you should be able to use the GPS track in almost any app (or on a traditional GPS device, for that matter).

There are lots of free options if all you are trying to do is convert from KML to GPX.

GPSBabel is an excellent option. It's free and works on almost any major OS (including Mac). You can get it here:

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

It supports a massive number of formats and the conversions are very reliable in my experience.

For working with your KML / GPX files, Route Converter is highly recommended. It is free and also available for both Mac and Windows. You can get it at:

www.routeconverter.com

Route Converter is handy because it makes it very easy to tweak the GPS tracks.

I use both of these regularly (almost daily), in addition to Google Earth and various other tools. Well worth looking at.

Have a great Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello and thanks very much for your message. I'll do my best to follow your recomendation since i plan to use my iphone as a gps offline.
Ill try to put Mr Robbins tracks on routeconverter.
Thanks again.

Francis

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.