• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last spot to catch a taxi after Orrison back to SJPP

Time of past OR future Camino
September, 2023
Short version: What is the last spot I could catch a taxi back to SJPP. If Orisson is full when I'm ready to book, I'd like to walk several km past, but I've never been on the camino, so I don't know the last place a taxi could collect me. Does anyone know that spot? It would suck if Borda is the last chance to call a taxi because I'd like to walk further.

I just want to be prepared in case there's no room at the inn.

The rest of my story so you know why I can't make a reservation yet. I'm an international housesitter currently in England. My plans are to be in Spain for 3 months approximately mid Sept to mid-Dec. I have not booked my flight to Madrid yet, because I won't know until the end of August whether I have to spend an extra day or two in England. Plenty of flights from Heathrow. I'm not concerned with getting to Madrid. I lived there when I was younger. I'd like to spend at least 3 days there visiting beforehand

There's no way until month end that I can start booking flights to Madrid and then Pamplona and accommodation.

Many pilgrims recommend to spend a night in Orisson to rest from the steep climb and to enjoy the scenery and a night in the Pyrenees. I'd like to do that. Borda is booked well into October. Orisson shows full until the 3rd week of September. I can't make a reservation yet because my actual arrival time is unknown. It seems likely Orisson will be fully booked by the time I figure out my arrival date in SJPP, which I roughly estimate September 20 to 22.

I feel like I could walk all the way to Roncesvalles if I have to, but I'd rather not. I'm OK catching a taxi back to SJPP to spend another night there, then catch a taxi back to where I left off. It's that last chance spot for a taxi that I'm wondering about.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Short version: What is the last spot I could catch a taxi back to SJPP.
It's about 7 to 8 km after Orisson where the Camino trail leaves the road. It's called Croix Thibault and it is a regular pick-up point of the Express Bourricot Mountain Shuttle but any taxi can pick you up there. I don't know whether there is mobile phone coverage - you may have to make arrangements beforehand. You would also have to pre-book the Mountain Shuttle. Buen Camino!

Once you know that you can not stay overnight at Orisson perhaps it would be best to telephone when you are at Orisson for a taxi to pick you up. That way you would be certain that you could walk futher to the pick up point suggested above by Kathar1na to meet your booked taxi. Happy planning.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's excellent information - thank you! Just what I might need. I wonder how the cell coverage is up there. I use Airalo and transferred my cell phone to a VOIP provider. I need connection to WiFi for my phone to work.

About 2 km from the Croix Thibault, at the French-Spanish border and on Spanish territory, a WiFi station has been installed to accommodate for the lack of mobile phone coverage in this unpopulated area. However, I know nothing more about it other than it was installed a few years ago.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's excellent information - thank you! Just what I might need. I wonder how the cell coverage is up there. I use Airalo and transferred my cell phone to a VOIP provider. I need connection to WiFi for my phone to work.
I wouldn't rely on being able to connect up there, of course you can always walk back towards Orisson until you get signal.

The wise grandfather in me says, walk to Orisson and wait to see if a bed opens up for you due to a no-show. Walking any farther up the hill is a lot of "boring" paved road. Sit down on the terrace, have beer or wine, enjoy the view and talk to other pilgrims, it will be a lot easy for Jean Jacques's staff to get you a taxi back to SJPdP.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Short version: What is the last spot I could catch a taxi back to SJPP. If Orisson is full when I'm ready to book, I'd like to walk several km past, but I've never been on the camino, so I don't know the last place a taxi could collect me. Does anyone know that spot? It would suck if Borda is the last chance to call a taxi because I'd like to walk further.

I just want to be prepared in case there's no room at the inn.

The rest of my story so you know why I can't make a reservation yet. I'm an international housesitter currently in England. My plans are to be in Spain for 3 months approximately mid Sept to mid-Dec. I have not booked my flight to Madrid yet, because I won't know until the end of August whether I have to spend an extra day or two in England. Plenty of flights from Heathrow. I'm not concerned with getting to Madrid. I lived there when I was younger. I'd like to spend at least 3 days there visiting beforehand

There's no way until month end that I can start booking flights to Madrid and then Pamplona and accommodation.

Many pilgrims recommend to spend a night in Orisson to rest from the steep climb and to enjoy the scenery and a night in the Pyrenees. I'd like to do that. Borda is booked well into October. Orisson shows full until the 3rd week of September. I can't make a reservation yet because my actual arrival time is unknown. It seems likely Orisson will be fully booked by the time I figure out my arrival date in SJPP, which I roughly estimate September 20 to 22.

I feel like I could walk all the way to Roncesvalles if I have to, but I'd rather not. I'm OK catching a taxi back to SJPP to spend another night there, then catch a taxi back to where I left off. It's that last chance spot for a taxi that I'm wondering about.

We used the Express Bourricot Mountain Shuttle last September. We pre-booked our rides before we got to SJPdP. Shuttle picked us up at Croix Thibeault (about 16-17 km walk) mid afternoon. Dropped us off the next morning around 9 AM at the cross. We walked to Burgette on day 2.

High recommend this strategy!

Checkout link below. Scroll down page to Mountain Shuttle.

Jim

We used the Express Bourricot Mountain Shuttle last September. We pre-booked our rides before we got to SJPdP. Shuttle picked us up at Croix Thibeault (about 16-17 km walk) mid afternoon. Dropped us off the next morning around 9 AM at the cross. We walked to Burgette on day 2.

Jim
It seems like that's a pretty good plan. If Orisson is full when I know for sure what date I'll begin, then I could book 2 nights in SJPP, leave my sleeping bag and other things I don't need for the day's walk in my room, and that way my backpack will be a lighter for the uphill climb that day. And the next day just walk past Roncesvalles until I'm done walking, as you said in Burgette or further along. Thanks!

Vintagecowgirl,
Before you go further do consider stopping at Roncesvalles monastery where the evening blessing in the church is a poignant experience for all; don't miss this age-old tradition.
If you choose to attend you will remember it always.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Jim
Just pre-book with Express Bourrricot as MassNative suggests. Next day drop-off will easily allow you to make it 15 kms to Roncesvalles for lunch, rest, and restroom times. Then on to Burguette. If you chose to go to mass at Roncesvalles as recommended by MsPath, take a taxi to and from and get your dinner there also. I believe it is approximately 5 kms each way. I regret not doing that.

Just pre-book with Express Bourrricot as MassNative suggests. Next day drop-off will easily allow you to make it 15 kms to Roncesvalles for lunch, rest, and restroom times. Then on to Burguette. If you chose to go to mass at Roncesvalles as recommended by MsPath, take a taxi to and from and get your dinner there also. I believe it is approximately 5 kms each way. I regret not doing that.
That's an excellent idea! Thanks for sharing!

It seems like that's a pretty good plan. If Orisson is full when I know for sure what date I'll begin, then I could book 2 nights in SJPP, leave my sleeping bag and other things I don't need for the day's walk in my room, and that way my backpack will be a lighter for the uphill climb that day. And the next day just walk past Roncesvalles until I'm done walking, as you said in Burgette or further along. Thanks!
If that is your plan then I would suggest to leave your backpack in SJPP and just use a lightweight day pack for water, snack and your valuables…. Also you really do not need a sleeping bag, a sleeping bag liner is all I used last Sept/Oct… the lighter your backpack is the better… I ran into many pilgrims in Pamplona that where mailing unneeded items ahead to Santiago…..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back