• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Latest start time from St Jean Pied De Port?

Caitlyn Staples

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances [2015]
Hi Everyone.

This is my first post, what a wonderful forum.
I am walking my first Camino from St Jean Pied De Port on the 27th of April. However the train from Bayonne won't get me there until about 12:30, is this too late to start the first day? I'd prefer to start on the 27th rather than wait another day just in case I need a bit of a rest further along The Way.

Thank you in advance for your advice. Have a lovely day.
xx
Caity

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's a bit late. It would be better to spend the first night in Orisson. When I was getting my credencial at 11 am a couple of years ago in SJPdP, I was strongly advised not to attempt to walk to Roncesvalles that day, so I went to Valcarlos instead.

You need time to savour the lovely SJPdP and relax / spend some time contemplating at the church or the top of the citadel a bit anyway. It's a marvelous little town and it would be a shame to rush it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends I think, altho I have not yet walked myself but I am sure others will chime in as well. How far are you walking? I am fairly certain if you were stopping at Orrison you could definitely start around then but I suspect that is much too late to make a safe crossing in late April if your final destination were Roncesvalles ...

If stopping in Orrison (or Kayola 800m before Orrison) you would need reservations ... call or email ahead

Better to stay in SJPP and enjoy the town. I hear some of the alburges/hostals are a fabulous way to start your Camino and meet new friends prior to walking in the morning. It looks like a pretty town and would be an excellent opportunity to settle in, maybe buy a few supplies for the next days walk ... (food for the day)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
12:30, is this too late to start the first day?
Fit pilgrims take 7 to 8 hours to get to Roncesvalles. That will get you there before the sun is gone, but the albergues may be full. It is two hours to Hounto, and another hour after it to Orisson, so it would be a short day. Valcarlos is about halfway on the Valcarlos route, so breaks up the day a bit more. Unfortunately, there are no other stopping choices along either route.

Welcome to the Forum.

My companion and I were planning to get a late morning start early April intending just to go to Orisson where we had reservations. When the Pilgrim Office advised against the Route Napoleon due to too much snow, and we learned that Orisson was also closed, we had to divert to Valcarlos. We must have left SJPP around 11:30 and got to Valcarlos before dark. You say your train arrives in SJPP at 12:30? If your plan is just to go to Orisson, and the weather is good, I'd think it's doable. Getting to Valcarlos would be iffy, but others might disagree. I would not attempt Roncesvalles with such a late start especially at that time of year, but that's just me. Buen Camino :)

Hi Everyone.

I am walking my first Camino from St Jean Pied De Port on the 27th of April. However the train from Bayonne won't get me there until about 12:30, is this too late to start the first day? I'd prefer to start on the 27th rather than wait another day just in case I need a bit of a rest further along The Way.

xx
Caity
Hi Caity, the best thing to do is stay in Sjpdp. (thats my opinion ).I walk my first day til albergue Orisson. I do this because I arrive the day before at about 19.30 in Sjpdp. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Everyone.

xx
Caity

Hello Caity,
You will be starting out as one of the shoulder seasons comes to end (at least what I call a shoulder season). Whilst we can never be absolutely sure of the weather, there is a strong chance of rain, mud and sleet at that time of the year.

If it were me, I would wait that extra day and have an early enough start to let me take my own sweet time to Roncesvalles in one hop.

If you do decide to go the same day you arrive, be prepared for about 3 hours walking in dying light, most of it downhill on potentially very slippy footing?

Buen Camino

Yeah, that's a bit late to start the walk even if you are only going as far as Orisson or ValCarlos (depending on the weather).
If you arrive around 12:30 pm in SJPdP, by the time you get your credential, and supplies you need and generally get situated to start walking it will probably be after 1:00 pm. A bit late to start the walking day.
Personally I would spend the night in SJPdP and start early the next morning and walk to Roncesvalles, which weather permitting you will probably reach by 3:00 pm. It ain't that hard. The great majority of pilgrims walk all the way to Roncesvalles the first day. Pilgrims of all ages.
Pack a lunch and snacks for the hump over the Pyrenees and some extra water.
Cheers.

Hi Caity, welcome to the forum!

Maybe I'm unusual, but for me there is a huge difference between walking 20+ kms starting off bright and early in the morning and starting off in the afternoon. It's hotter, the body is less rested, I find I am dragging a lot sooner if I start in the afternoon. But it all depends on how your body works and what you are used to.

As Mark says, it will take you 15 minutes to get to the pilgrims office, and then time to get credential, etc. So if you're on the road by 1 pm, you've got a long haul to get to Roncesvalles. I wouldn't do that. If you are pressed for time, and depending on your fitness level, I think the other two options are better -- either walk to Orisson for the first day (make reservation, though), or just stay in SJPP and walk to Roncesvalles the next day. Either way you will arrive in Roncesvalles on the 28th.

Many have noted how the SJPP-Roncesvalles walk can result in an untimely end to the Camino. But you're the only one who knows whether the distance and elevation gain are within your comfort zone, so just pay attention to your body and stop if needed. At some point, whatever plans you have are likely to go out the window anyway, so don't push it in the beginning. Good luck and buen caminoi, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Be aware the pilgrim office is closed at lunch time for about 2 hours, bummer!

Hi Everyone.

xx
Caity
Hey Caity,
Im going to start the Camino from Saint Jean Pied de Port exactly the same day as you. I booked accommodation in Refuge Orrison. I come to Saint Jean around 9 am, then I go to the Orisson. I hope that the weather will be good for a short walk.
See you on the way.

Peter

Hi Everyone.

xx
Caity

It takes the average pilgrim (whatever that is) about 9 hours to get from SJPdP to Roncesvalle via Route Napoleon.

So the answer to your question about latest start time is Sunset minus 9 hours.

You really don't want be walking after dark. The part downhill from Col Lepoeder is under trees making it hard to find the path even with a light. At that time of year it gets cold in the mountains. A night in the woods would be a bad start to things.

If you think you are a slow walker ... add more time.

I guess the other factor is how late can one get a meal in Roncesvalle.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Caitlan - I'm in the same boat as you in that I'll arrive at SJPdP around mid-day... on this saturday coming (the 18th April).

I've booked a bed at Orisson and told them I'll be arriving around 5:00pm as I am starting late - he has confirmed my reservation and says if I'm later than 6:00pm I should call to confirm the booking.

I have such a short timescale that I wanted to make the very most of my time. Also, I thought it was a good idea to break the first day and ease me in gently. I live in France so I can call ahead easily and check conditions... and I already have my credentials (maybe this is a good idea for you too... would save you having to visit the pilgrim office?)

Having said that SJ is a very pretty town but if you are limited on time and want to get moving then maybe going as far as Orisson is a good option?

What time do most pilgrims leave St Jean Pied de Port for the long day to Roncesvalle? Is Roncesvalle a big town I'm thinking I'd be fit enough but id need stops so I'd probably be thinking if I left at 8am I'd be there for 5 maybe , not booking ahead so I'm hoping there is a lot of albergues?!
Buen Camino

Sunrise is almost too late, you are going to be walking 27km up a steep hill and then down a steep hill. Roncesvalles is not a town it is two hotel/bars and a giant albergue.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sunrise is almost too late, you are going to be walking 27km up a steep hill and then down a steep hill. Roncesvalles is not a town it is two hotel/bars and a giant albergue.

Okay would set off at 7am be more reasonable? I'm taking it that the Giant Alberque won't be full on the 31st of May, I had it in my head that it was a big town, I'm learning something new every day on this forum :).

What time do most pilgrims leave St Jean Pied de Port for the long day to Roncesvalle? Is Roncesvalle a big town I'm thinking I'd be fit enough but id need stops so I'd probably be thinking if I left at 8am I'd be there for 5 maybe , not booking ahead so I'm hoping there is a lot of albergues?!
Buen Camino
Usually on the first few days I am totally amped to start walking, so like leaving between 7 and 8 am is what I will do on that first day. You shouldn't have a problem finding a bed in Roncesvalles as has been said before the alburgue there is massive. The first day to Ronces is tough, but totally doable in the the amount of time you are planning.

Usually on the first few days I am totally amped to start walking, so like leaving between 7 and 8 am is what I will do on that first day. You shouldn't have a problem finding a bed in Roncesvalles as has been said before the alburgue there is massive. The first day to Ronces is tough, but totally doable in the the amount of time you are planning.
Thanks Damien, I think I might try leaving closer to 7am and avoid some more of the sun. Really looking forward to this trip.
Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Damien, I think I might try leaving closer to 7am and avoid some more of the sun.
Yah if you are like me you should have no trouble waking up in the morning to start walking on that first day. The more time you give yourself the better.

NOTE: by about the 7th or 8th day I tend to become a lazygrino and am stoked if I'm out by 9:30!

Yah if you are like me you should have no trouble waking up in the morning to start walking on that first day. The more time you give yourself the better.

NOTE: by about the 7th or 8th day I tend to become a lazygrino and am stoked if I'm out by 9:30!
Lazygrino - Love it!!

Okay would set off at 7am be more reasonable? I'm taking it that the Giant Alberque won't be full on the 31st of May, I had it in my head that it was a big town, I'm learning something new every day on this forum :).
Yeah, 7:00 am is a good time to start and should get you there just fine.
It really is a large albergue. Doubt they will be completely filled up when you arrive.
The next town, Burguete is 3 km down the road. No albergues, but has three hotels/hostels and a couple of cafes and restaurants.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yeah, 7:00 am is a good time to start and should get you there just fine.
It really is a large albergue. Doubt they will be completely filled up when you arrive.
The next town, Burguete is 3 km down the road. No albergues, but has three hotels/hostels and a couple of cafes and restaurants.
Thank you for that, it's good to have back up plans :)

I don't know if all the albergues in StJpdP serve a communal breakfast but mine did, so a good time to leave would be just after that?

Buen Camino

Wikipedia says population 30.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked from SJPDP to Roncevalles back in fall, 2011, my friend and I left at 6:30 in the morning, in pitch darkness, we used headlamps until daylight (about 8:AM at end of September). If you arrive in SJPDP at 1:00PM, I would recommend spending the night there. Use your free time to buy provisions (Basque Ham, Cheese, Bread) and leave early morning the next day. You'll be then equipped to do the entire track in one day without stopping in Orisson and risking to find a full house there. Bon Camino!

Actually you can check all the towns and villages and most parts of el Camino itself on Google Street View, where the Google-mobile could pass through, its all online, even the yellow arrows or other road signs. Find where your albergue/hostal/hotel is, where the best coffee is served (obviously - where most pilgrims sit by the tables), post offices, etc, etc. When you don't have to worry how to find your way, you can enjoy it all better.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And don't forget the old church where, if one wishes, one can attend the evening service and get the pilgrim's blessing. :)
What time do you know is this at, it's something I would like to attend, I will be there on a Saturday.
Thanks for this snippet of information :)

Caitlyn, please believe this is not a rant at you. Rather you are last in a line of people this week who have asked if they can squeeze a pint into a quart. You THINK that the train will get you there at 12,30. It may not because of illness, accident, strike etc etc. I was on a bus making perfect time last month and we were stopped by French police and held for 2,5 hours as the drug squad went through every case, piece of clothing etc. Lots of people missed connections, flights etc The French police had NO interest that people had tight connections on SNCF or for flights.

Today, for reasons known to nobody my regional bus in Valencia did not arrive. According to the timetable it should have run and the 20 people waiting at the bus stop thought it should run but.....60 minutes later the next bus arrived and the first person who got on was immediately told, "Don't ask me why the 2,30 did not run" as he struggled to get on an already full bus. #lifehappensInSpain&FranceToo

To start the very first day with a millstone round your neck is folly to me.

Buen camino

What time do you know is this at, it's something I would like to attend, I will be there on a Saturday.
Don't recall the exact time, but I know we were having dinner in the hotel restaurant and someone mentioned that there was a sign on the church door indicating there would be a Mass starting soon, so we finished dinner and went across. I just checked my notes and we were in Roncesvalles on a Sunday, so I must confess I don't know if Mass there is a daily occurrence. We also managed to attend Mass in Viana, but that was also on a Sunday.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/mass-at-roncesvalles.30883/ I just found this thread, which may be more helpful. Buen Camino :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

You usually have supper first, you have to book it aheadwhen you arrive, get a ticket. T here are several seatings.
Then there is a Mass, i can't remember the times I 'm sorry. But don't worry, I didn't know any of this before I set off... It all happens, buen camino and don't worry about it too much

SERVICIOS RELIGIOSOS
"BENDICIÓN DEL PEREGRINO"
Se imparte al final de la última misa del día, todo el año, siempre que sea solicitada por parte del caminante.

CONFESIONES
Tienen lugar media hora antes de la celebración de la eucaristía.
Permanentemente, hay en la iglesia un Consultorio Religioso. Horario: lunes, jueves, viernes, sábado y domingo, de 11:30 a 13:30, y de 17:30 a 19:30

MISAS
Domingos y fiestas

8.30h.; Se suprime durante el invierno, desde Todos los Santos (1 de Noviembre) hasta el Domingo de Pascua; 12.00h.; 18.00h.; (de Noviembre a Junio)
18.00 h. (todo el año)

Sábados

18.00 h. (todo el año)

Días laborables (de lunes a viernes) y vísperas de fiesta

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
SERVICIOS RELIGIOSOS
"BENDICIÓN DEL PEREGRINO"
Se imparte al final de la última misa del día, todo el año, siempre que sea solicitada por parte del caminante.

CONFESIONES
Tienen lugar media hora antes de la celebración de la eucaristía.
Permanentemente, hay en la iglesia un Consultorio Religioso. Horario: lunes, jueves, viernes, sábado y domingo, de 11:30 a 13:30, y de 17:30 a 19:30

MISAS
Domingos y fiestas

8.30h.; Se suprime durante el invierno, desde Todos los Santos (1 de Noviembre) hasta el Domingo de Pascua; 12.00h.; 18.00h.; (de Noviembre a Junio)
18.00 h. (todo el año)

Sábados

18.00 h. (todo el año)

Días laborables (de lunes a viernes) y vísperas de fiesta
Thank You :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Th
Don't recall the exact time, but I know we were having dinner in the hotel restaurant and someone mentioned that there was a sign on the church door indicating there would be a Mass starting soon, so we finished dinner and went across. I just checked my notes and we were in Roncesvalles on a Sunday, so I must confess I don't know if Mass there is a daily occurrence. We also managed to attend Mass in Viana, but that was also on a Sunday.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/mass-at-roncesvalles.30883/ I just found this thread, which may be more helpful. Buen Camino :)
Thank You, I really can't wait 8 weeks and counting :)

I walked in October 2013. There was one woman that became notorious for various reasons, who left SJPdP at 2pm, and made it to Roncesvalles after 10pm. She and her companion banged on the doors of the albergue until they were let in.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Everyone.

xx
Caity
Hi Caity,
I walked the "Camino Francés" in 2012, like you I came to SJPP in the middle of the day so I decided to walk only 8 kms to Orisson where I stayed for the night because I found the distance between SJPP and Roncevalles(about 27kms) too much to achieve in one afternoon. It was perfect for me to start my camino in that way! It was quite exhausting to walk those few kilometres on the pyrenees anyway.
But of course it's a question of physical capacity!!
Buen Camino!
Nice day from Anne

I walked in October 2013. There was one woman that became notorious for various reasons, who left SJPdP at 2pm, and made it to Roncesvalles after 10pm. She and her companion banged on the doors of the albergue until they were let in.
You have to love it. Why did they open the door after 10pm?

Ronceevalles consists of the monastery where the refugio is situated and two hotels close by and nothing else noteworthy. You eat dinner at one of the hotels (not the albergue) and it is necessary to book this when you arrive. The albergue consists of two parts - the new one has about 140 beds, and if necessary the old albergue will be opened (120 beds in one room). Incidentally the meal at the hotel always includes trout in the main course and I am surprised that by now that there are still some trout left alive in Europe. There must have been hundreds of thousands of trout eaten at the hotel.

Ronceevalles consists of the monastery where the refugio is situated and two hotels close by and nothing else noteworthy. You eat dinner at one of the hotels (not the albergue) and it is necessary to book this when you arrive. The albergue consists of two parts - the new one has about 140 beds, and if necessary the old albergue will be opened (120 beds in one room). Incidentally the meal at the hotel always includes trout in the main course and I am surprised that by now that there are still some trout left alive in Europe. There must have been hundreds of thousands of trout eaten at the hotel.
You need to book the dinner is it?

You book yer meal at reception when booking yer bed,i for one would spend the night in Orisson,the evening communal meal is such great craic :)

I only have 5 full days to walk and I don't think I'd get to Orrison on the day I arrive in St Jean Pied De Port in time for the communal meal so although I've been pondering stopping there I think it will have to be for another time :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you leave Rosc early in the morning be sure to stop at the little cafe in Burguete,it's on the left as you enter the little hamlet,wonderful coffee and cake,set's you up for the day.

If you leave Rosc early in the morning be sure to stop at the little cafe in Burguete,it's on the left as you enter the little hamlet,wonderful coffee and cake,set's you up for the day.
Cool I must make that place off, I'd definitely avail of coffee and cake!! :) just wondering have you ever climbed Mt Brandon, I know it's about 400m less than day 1 but climb wise is there any comparisons or poles apart?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Everyone.
I am walking my first Camino from St Jean Pied De Port on the 27th of April. However the train from Bayonne won't get me there until about 12:30, is this too late to start the first day?

I walked from SJPdP two years ago, starting on 12th May. We made it all the way to Roncesvalle via the Route Napoleon starting early and finishing late afternoon. It was cold and misty, sometimes with rain.

The next day, as we walked to Zubiri in warm sunshine, the Route Napoleon was closed due to snow and bad weather.

In other words, the weather can be unpredictable in spring, so don't make plans that can't be flexible!

My advice would be to stay in SJPdP on your arrival day, spend the day looking round (it's quite nice) relax, rest up and prepare, including checking the weather/route you want to take, buying food, etc, so you are ready and rested to start early the following morning having made the right choice depending on conditions.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back