• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Laundry in Santiago

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
When I was last in Santiago I visited Ivar for a chat, during which he asked if I thought anyone would be interested in him installing a washer and dryer to help them at the end of their caminos. I know he is too reserved to ask us publicly himself, so I am asking. What do people think? For those who have already completed their caminos, what did you do? I am sure such feedback will help him make a decision as well as informing others of the options available.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know the Pilgrim Office's new Consigna will do laundry for pilgrims, and a new shop called The Laundry Shop is dedicated to providing laundry services for pilgrims. When we have the Pilgrim House welcome center open, we, too, will offer laundry services. BUT - the more the pilgrims that can be served, the better! That's our opinion.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is a good idea and always welcome. But Ivar may need to adjust his hours to comport with how long it takes a load of laundry to dry. You cannot lock the office and leave if someone still has laundry going - or can you? I will leave the issue of coin operation, pay per load, donativo, or gratis use to Ivar - but he DOES need to make a living. So, let us all be reasonable and graciously accept his choice of solution. If you do not like it, there are other solutions in town...

Also, in my considerable experience, clothes, even technical fibers, take longer to dry than to wash. The only way to overcome this is to: (1) invest in a washer that has a really high speed spin / extraction cycle to remove as much water as possible (some folks can then opt to take the clean, still damp clothes and hang them elsewhere); and, invest in a dryer with a minimum TRIPLE capacity of the washer. The more the clothes can "fluff" and spread out in a dryer, the faster they will dry - especially as one must use low heat on all synthetic fibers. N.B. - I am the "laundry meister" in out household.

Final point, this is likely to be a very popular notion once the word gets out. The more services Ivar chooses to offer in his tiny office, the sooner he will need to find a larger space. He might need more than one washer and at least one monster dryer. Also, given the volume of pilgrims, I believe that there will be plenty of work to spread around to the Laundry Center and the new Welcome Center, plus the several pay-per-load lavanderias in town

Ivar - Thanks for all you do...we ALL appreciated it very much...even if we do not often express it. Let me know if you need a volunteer laundry manager... ;-) Seriously, I work for room and board...

Buen Camino!

Tom

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
By the way I was only joking about Ivar making himself useful. When I mentioned to him that my phone charger cable wasn't working he took me to a local phone shop and asked if they had a replacement (they didn't). He then directed me to an accessory shop nearby that did, thus solving my problem. So although I only looked him up to introduce myself I realised how lucky we are to have people like him and Johnnie Walker living in Santiago and others on the Camino to provide such a wealth of local knowledge.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I go to the pilgrim office website at the moment I am receiving a warning about the website's security certificates. Same on both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers. And if I disregard...
Hi, I’ve got 3 1/2 days in Santiago at the end of my camino, and I’m thinking to go to Vigo to watch the football on the 15th. It is a 10 pm kick-off, so I am wondering if it is likely to get any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.