• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flooding in Santiago

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
19 October 2023 - We are walking into Santiago today and seeing a reports on flooding in the town. Does anyone have any reliable updates? Looking for current information only. Thanks!https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/amp/n...aciones-comunidad/00031697651843667755723.htm
Tracy-
I can’t see how to post photo.. but I arrived yesterday and I am staying at San Martin Pinario —Monastery right behind the Cathedral…in fact about 25 feet away… the owner hallways flooded last night… about 3 inches of water-they rallied about 6 employees with buckets and got it under control quick… let me see if I can post a photo—and this is inside…I was going to do a bus tour of Finestra today.. but- I’d rather stay in town. Good luck

Tracy-
I can’t see how to post photo.. but I arrived yesterday and I am staying at San Martin Pinario —Monastery right behind the Cathedral…in fact about 25 feet away… the owner hallways flooded last night… about 3 inches of water-they rallied about 6 employees with buckets and got it under control quick… let me see if I can post a photo—and this is inside…I was going to do a bus tour of Finestra today.. but- I’d rather stay in town. Good luck
Thanks for the update. Stay safe and dry 😉.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tracy-
Use the "Attach files" button under the text box. After you upload the picture insert it as a thumbnail into your post.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It has been some difficult walking. Yesterday pm I nearly got blown off a bridge, was clutching my umbrella and screaming at God to spare me. Was walking west of Padron to find this cool place I booked and the wind and rain were so bad. I couldn’t focus— too stormy. A really nice family pulled over and drove me about 6 km to the place where I was staying. The storm continued through the night, very bad. The woman serving breakfast warned everybody that Santiago was flooding.

This morning walking from Padron so wet. Everyone in rain gear. Heavy rain gear. Plastic sacks on their feet. Anything they could do. Things cleared up around 1 PM. Now the weather is OK, no rain. I am staying 8 km out of Santiago tonight, just loving the Camino one more night.

IMG_6427.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m in SDC now-there was a huge and fast downpour-about 30 minutes ago… just prior to that I was thinking about my sunglasses.. and it’s clear right now… I did hear, thunder and a lot of rain last night too.

Im here too 😇. I’ve never lucked the rain into Santiago before ; so - it’s my turn.
Came in from the invierno … driving rain early this morning. Saturated! even with covers and ponchos etc we stayed 11ks out last night. Rain was expected - but some of the roads coming in had streams coming to meet us.

It's coming down pretty seriously here too, at the Italian/French costal border of the Ways of Saint James to Santiago and Saint Peter to Rome. But it's Alpine mountainside, so if there's any flooding it will be Nice and beyond, else Ventimiglia and so on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lashing rain out here on the Via de la Plata in Cáceres. Made a short hop from Aldea del Cano to Cáceres (20km on bici) today alternating between just rain and howling squalls. Arrived wet but comfortable (wool). Gonna spend a dry day tomorrow in this beautiful city of Cáceres.

We started in Moratinos at 0830 this morning under heavy rain and gale-force winds. We were forced to abandon our walk today at Sahagun as the weather forecast was that it would only worsen around lunchtime. There are still peregrinos walking despite the inclement weather. We're now in El Burgo Ranero and the hotel we're staying in has no wifi, they say because of the strong wind😩. I managed to post this with my hotspot. Stay healthy and safe everyone. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's not flooding, it's just a normal Autumn rainy day in Galicia.
I certainly agree that rain is common in Galicia, especially in autumn. But I'm not so confident that the hallways of San Martín Pinario flood (as reported by someone currently staying there) on a normal autumn rainy day.

A lot of rain falling in Galicia and across northern Spain. The first video was recorded yesterday. It was taken on calle Fray Rosendo Salvado, about 1.1km from Praza Obradoiro, and a block from the Decathalon sporting goods store. Most of the flooding seems to be due to microbursts that overwhelm the drainage systems/gutters.

The second video was taken on calle Arrnal in Vigo earlier today (19/10/23)

And, lastly, the third video was central Madrid earlier today in front of Banco de España (19/10/23)

Video credit: Antena 3 Galicia

Attachments

• Santiago.mp4
    3.2 MB
  • Antena3Galicia-1714972505989873681-20231019_045122-vid1.mp4
    1.8 MB
  • SecretosdeMadri-1715039927581221167-20231019_091917-vid1.mp4
    4 MB
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have been in Finisterra for 3 weeks now - leaving monday, and after beautiful warm weather it has the last 3-4 days turned into unpreditable and very wet. Going down yesterday from the lighthouse there were a group if us that was "attacked" by a fierce rain, that turned the road and hiking path into rivers in seconds. When I reached the church for pilgrim mass at 6 o'clock we were all drenched even though using both poncho and umbrella. At the church I took off my boots to empty them for water. If you plan on going to finisterra - remember solid raingear. The forecast is Not summer. Funny note: you can do as two young men and just walk in sandals and shorts. They were going up laughing while we went down sulking. Note: finisterra has 4-5 large rainfalls every day at the moment.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
two young men and just walk in sandals and shorts
I met two ladies “of a certain age” walking the Pennine way in shorts, vests (and I’m sure other essentials but I did not enquire or look to closely). As I stood there in my poncho and gaiters and other attempts at water proofing they chuckled. To be honest, they mocked. “Skins waterproof, nothing else is!” I recall Bill Bryson reporting a similar encounter. I’ve occasionally wondered if it was the same pair of bloody lunatics but have never tried to compare dates

It's coming down pretty seriously here too, at the Italian/French costal border of the Ways of Saint James to Santiago and Saint Peter to Rome. But it's Alpine mountainside, so if there's any flooding it will be Nice and beyond, else Ventimiglia and so on.
There was actually a red alert here, which ended about an hour ago.

The mayor of Nice wants a state of natural disaster to be declared. Not so bad right here, as I predicted, but schools and some other public venues are closed today.

Not so bad in Italy, though they've shut down the trains and some schools and whatnot, but there's a weather alert on what looks like the whole coastal section of the Via Romea & Provençal Way between what looks like Le Muy or thereabouts in the Var and La Spezia.
A lot of rain falling in Galicia and across northern Spain. The first video was recorded yesterday. It was taken on calle Fray Rosendo Salvado, about 1.1km from Praza Obradoiro, and a block from the Decathalon sporting goods store. Most of the flooding seems to be due to microbursts that overwhelm the drainage systems/gutters.
The last point is fairly normal in heavy Galician rain, but yeah that overflow does look significantly worse than usual.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I met two ladies “of a certain age” walking the Pennine way in shorts, vests (and I’m sure other essentials but I did not enquire or look to closely). As I stood there in my poncho and gaiters and other attempts at water proofing they chuckled. To be honest, they mocked. “Skins waterproof, nothing else is!” I recall Bill Bryson reporting a similar encounter. I’ve occasionally wondered if it was the same pair of bloody lunatics but have never tried to compare dates
I walked in tee shirt and shorts too, when everyone else was dressed to the hilt in waterproof gear and carrying umbrellas. I, like the two ladies am of the opinion that my skin is the best waterproofing you can have. Why get all your kit wet when you only have to dry the tee shirt and shorts with a quick 10 mins in the dryer. Maybe I’m a lunatic as well? But I’m a very happy one🤣

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Must have been a significant storm front as it has coincided with flooding in the north of England and Scotland. Things normal 'down under', high 30's and bush fires 🔥 through eastern Australia. You might be better off being wet OzAnnie!

In the OPs video and in one of Ivar's pics you can see many businesses have flood barriers. This suggests it is not uncommon as most people/businesses do not have them as standard.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Saw this a couple of weeks ago, the winemaker at the top of the hill did not deny responsibility!

Attachments

• Wine flood.mp4
    6.8 MB

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.