• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Le Puy...purchase hiking poles

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Since deciding to not bring hiking poles from home, we are hoping to purchase them after arriving in Le Puy...Anyone know if there are any sporting good stores in Le Puy that sell "cheap" hiking poles? We most likely will be leaving them in France, so prefer to go cheap.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all as I was thinking of picking up some poles in Le Puy myself to avoid having to store any luggage on the flight over.

There are 2 shops in the centre of Le Puy. One has pilgrim oriented stuff. It is on the trail just off the area where the market takes place L side of the street. They have basic poles, no choice, not cheap, not expensive. Sport shop has some poles out the back, expensive. I was there last year with friends who bought a set. Better to bring your own if you can. There may be a better shop in the outskirts but we couldn't be bothered researching.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for this ... hmmm, what to do, what to do, said a pilgrim with too much time on my hands.

Thanks for this ... hmmm, what to do, what to do, said a pilgrim with too much time on my hands.
Well you could try putting 'Walking Poles' into the search engine and reading all the threads - that should use up several days. You could try popping into your local hiking gear shop ( in your full camino kit ) and ask them if you can borrow some poles to try out in the local park. Do this every Saturday until they bar you from the shop... You could try whittling your own poles out of a fallen oak and carving it with the names of all your favourite Albergues....

How long do you need?

I bought walking poles in Le Puy. The store off the plaza near the tourist info office had walking poles in a range of prices and quality. I bought a medium priced, medium quality pair. They worked well enough-- until I fell on the switchback trail on my way to Bonneval Abbey and bent one of them.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Love all your suggestions and will begin scouting out a fallen oak in the neighbourhood. Thanks for the chuckles and smiles.

Should you want to try the selection there, the Decathlon store is about 1.5 miles from the center of Le Puy.

Tom
Merci beaucoup .. 1.5 miles is nothing for a pelerin.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You could also email the tourist office we have always found them very helpful, and being on the spot should have up to date info.

If you are travelling through Lyon to Le Puy - there is a very large Decathalon store in the mall right next to the Lyon train station.

I have bought the "Quechua Forclaz 500" model at Decathalon twice for Caminos. Really good quality, fairly light, and inexpensive. It was reliable not to slip/bend when putting my full weight on the poles in steep mud.

Thanks Sara. Checked out the store on Google maps and we will pick up our poles there as it is uber convenient.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum