• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

leaving for Camino del norte on Sunday June 28, few last minute questions...

jesben1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Del Norte 2015
Hello, I'm starting the journey to Spain this Sunday and plan to start walking from Irun next Wednesday. I have a few last minute thoughts/questions

First me and my travel partners are on a budget and plan on cooking meals, staying in hostels etc. What are some things you would suggest splurging on? Like food or drink special in a region, your favorite restaurant or albergue etc. Think of something's that were really worth splurging on...

Next I've read from several sources that we should come across the occasional beach, this is what I've been dreaming of! ;)... Can you think of a beach or two that were off the trail, worth walking to, your favorite etc.. I would hate to miss one because I didn't know to take that turn... I would be more into a more secluded beach vs touristy area.

Third, if we find we are running behind and need to take a bus to skip ahead (worst case scenario) we would rather skip an ugly highway section than rush through the end, can you think of a day that the walking was pretty dull that would be worth skipping if you had to?

Fourth, trekking poles or no? I feel pike I've read mixed reviews, we never used them before until the last year or so on some more difficult hikes and LOVE them, however do you think they are needed/helpful? Just looking for anything to decrease weight...

Alright thanks for any suggestions! I'm so excited!!

Jessica

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Regional specialities ? Ask yourself "Am I in Galicia ?" If the answer is yes, drink Estrella.
If the answer is no, pick up your pace !

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To give a serious reply on the food / drink front, look at what the locals are drinking eating.
My Camino was in the company of a Spaniard called Cristobal. A mountain of a man. When
I walked into the bar at O'Cebreiro he had a small glass of white wine in his hand. A speciality
of the region he said. I ordered us both one and ..... it was excellent. Wouldn't be seen dead
drinking white wine in a bar at home but, when in Rome.

You've got Galician soup and pulpo to look forward to.

You will come across plenty of beaches in the first couple of weeks, when you walk to Santander from Guemes be sure to take the coastal option, it has several kilometers on the beach.

If you have to hop a bus, then take one from Santander to Santilla del Mar, this was a long day of road hiking, also from Gijon to Aviles.

If you love using trekking poles, then take them with you, the argument is that they take the pressure of your knees when going downhill. I acquired a bamboo staff at the start in Irun and loved it, my companion used trekking poles which she found very helpful.

Food and drink? Just enjoy the local specialties, particularly wine and cider and be sure to try some orojo con herbas, the local after dinner drink.

The Norte is a great hike, you will have a wonderful time. Buen Camino!

Drink Txacoli is Basque country, their sparkling wine. Splurge on pinxos in San Sebastian at Fuego negro or La cuchara de San Telmo. In Llanes you must have carbayones, a gorgeous pastry. Cider of course, fabada asturiana.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cabrales cheese and Cidre in Asturias. It's delicious with a crusty piece of bread. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. The cheese may not be to everyone's taste due to how strong it is, but I think its the best blue cheese I have ever tasted.

The industrial stretch between Santander and Barreda is worth missing, take a FEVE cercania (very cheap). It also avoids the long walk round or (prohibited) railway bridge crossing at Mogro.
Terry likes Mahou (Cantabria and Asturias) more than Estrella.
If you eat menu del día you get to try local food and it is better than menu del peregrino. 'Platos combinados' can be shared so if you want less buy one between two, or 3 between 4 etc. Raciones are served at almost any time so eating at mid-day and then raciones or self catering at night can work well.

Hello, I'm starting the journey to Spain this Sunday and plan to start walking from Irun next Wednesday. I have a few last minute thoughts/questions

First me and my travel partners are on a budget and plan on cooking meals, staying in hostels etc. What are some things you would suggest splurging on? Like food or drink special in a region, your favorite restaurant or albergue etc. Think of something's that were really worth splurging on...

Next I've read from several sources that we should come across the occasional beach, this is what I've been dreaming of! ;)... Can you think of a beach or two that were off the trail, worth walking to, your favorite etc.. I would hate to miss one because I didn't know to take that turn... I would be more into a more secluded beach vs touristy area.

Third, if we find we are running behind and need to take a bus to skip ahead (worst case scenario) we would rather skip an ugly highway section than rush through the end, can you think of a day that the walking was pretty dull that would be worth skipping if you had to?

Fourth, trekking poles or no? I feel pike I've read mixed reviews, we never used them before until the last year or so on some more difficult hikes and LOVE them, however do you think they are needed/helpful? Just looking for anything to decrease weight...

Alright thanks for any suggestions! I'm so excited!!

Jessica

You are in for treat swimming wise. Irun to San Sebastián . San Sebastián has best beach of any camino and you walk it, swim it and sleep on it. Playa de la Arena you walk on beach to foot bridge to pobena. That's first day out of Bilbao. You walk on 3 km of beach as you enter Noja. You also use ferries 3 or 4 times. As you approach San Sebastián. Santo a and Santander. Take coastal paths and lovely small beaches but you need to scramble down to beach sometimes. Local wines and real cider to die for. Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To give a serious reply on the food / drink front, look at what the locals are drinking eating.
My Camino was in the company of a Spaniard called Cristobal. A mountain of a man. When
I walked into the bar at O'Cebreiro he had a small glass of white wine in his hand. A speciality
of the region he said. I ordered us both one and ..... it was excellent. Wouldn't be seen dead
drinking white wine in a bar at home but, when in Rome.

You've got Galician soup and pulpo to look forward to.

Yes, Pulpo also you might try that Arujo. A potent drink made from the fermented remains of the wine press.
It's killer and the yellow stuff is smooth.
RicksRicks

Jessica

Los días que cojas un autobús o tren, no duermas en albergues. No dejes a peregrinos que hayan caminado ese día sin cama.

The days you take a bus or train, or sleep in albergues. Do not let pilgrims who have walked that day without bed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Los días que cojas un autobús o tren, no duermas en albergues. No dejes a peregrinos que hayan caminado ese día sin cama.

The days you take a bus or train, or sleep in albergues. Do not let pilgrims who have walked that day without bed.
We hope to not have to skip walking any day! But if we do that sounds fair :)

Taking the FEVE out from Santander to Barreda means that you do walk that day - to Santillana del Mar where there is plenty of accomodation for pilgrims, just before the village, on the way into and also out of the village, plus hotels so there should not be a problem there. We spent 3 nights in Santillana (hotel) so as to visit the museum and Altamira.

(just back last night) Gijon to Avilés is industrial park and highway and entirely busable or FEVE-able. Angulero's prescription should be followed if you do so. West of Avilés, there are beaches every day. Take the detour from Muros de Nalon to the Playa de Anguilar which is spectacular. The Asturian tourism folks have a costal walk map which will outline beaches and their access points from the Camino. I took a very indulgent Club Med Camino 11-k day from Tapia de Casiarego to Ribadeo with three swims. For food in Asturias, chipirones and, for drink, sidra natural. And when you get into Galicia, pulpo every day, of course.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
(just back last night) Gijon to Avilés is industrial park and highway and entirely busable or FEVE-able. Angulero's prescription should be followed if you do so. West of Avilés, there are beaches every day. Take the detour from Muros de Nalon to the Playa de Anguilar (Aguilar ;)) which is spectacular. The Asturian tourism folks have a costal walk map which will outline beaches and their access points from the Camino. I took a very indulgent Club Med Camino 11-k day from Tapia de Casiarego to Ribadeo with three swims. For food in Asturias, chipirones and, for drink, sidra natural. And when you get into Galicia, pulpo every day, of course.

Supongo que hables de la senda costera que va desde San Esteban de Pravia hasta la playa de Aguilar, en Muros de Nalón. Para hacerla, yo os recomiendo que dividáis la etapa que va desde Avilés hasta Soto de Luiña en dos etapas y durmaís en el albergue de San Esteban. En el vídeo que pongo, hacen la ruta a la inversa de como lo haría un peregrino.

También os recomiendo que los que bajéis a conocer Cudillero, lo hagáis por una ruta que baja desde un un pueblo de la parte alta que se llama La Atalaya. Os evitaréis bajar por la carretera, y las vistas son mucho mejores.

I guess talk about the coastal path that runs from San Estebande Pravia to Aguilar Beach in Muros de Nalón. To make it, I recommend doing the stage that goes from Aviles to Soto de Luiña in two stages and sleep in the hostel San Esteban. In the video that I put, do the route in reverse of how you would a pilgrim.

I also recommend that you go down to meet Cudillero, rather to do a route that descends from a village in the high part called La Atalaya. Will you escape down the road, and the views are much better.

Most read last week in this forum

My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.