• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Leaving in 1wk!

kat323

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on Camino July-August 2014! Can't wait!
Hello!

I'll be heading out for the Camino Frances by next Friday (and hopefully continuing on to Finisterre from Santiago). I'm having so many emotions/thoughts - excited, nervous, happy, do I have enough underwear, and so forth.

Any last minute mental advice for a newbie pilgrim?

Also, along the way, is there wifi in some cafés?...just so I can let family/friends know I'm okay.

What's the weather like right now? Shall I go ahead and permethrin treat all my belongings to ward off bedbugs?

Sorry, lots of questions. I've found answers to some on this forum, but most a big dated.

I'll also be traveling solo, so if there's anyone that is departing from SJPP next Friday morning, let me know! Or if there are any Americans from the southeast region heading out there - let me know, too!

Looking forward to this journey...it's been a couple years in the making.

Cheers,

Kat

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
WIFI is not everywhere. Couple times we did 4 days without wifi. Don't rush. It's not a very hard walk, but 30+ days wears some people down while others just get stronger. If Neil Armstrong could walk to the moon, you can walk up these hills.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola

Get yourself to your starting point with an open mind and take it a day at the time.
Go slow the first week and adjust to what your body is telling you.
Have a great walk.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Thank you for all these great tips and advice!

I have found myself breaking down miles and numbers and days on paper just to make sure I cover the whole Camino Frances in my time frame...trying to make an itinerary for this walk was stressing me out. Letting go is good advice (and hard to do).

Will do my best! Just soaking up some quality time with my brand new niece before I go. :)

Kat

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Kat Having just completed The Camino in 30 days my advice would be to take each day as it comes , I actually according to my gps,walked 508 miles in total,I just walked each distance every day and never thought about the end goal as it seems so far off at the beginning.
What I would say is I never felt alone and had a wonderful time and met some great free spirited people along the way.
Keep an eye on your feet ,the minute you feel rubbing burning or a change in them deal with it immediately,it will more than likely be a blister which if not dealt with could become a real issue as thousands of people who walk The Camino will testify.I never got one as took appropriate action by covering the sore area with a compeed or plaster before it became a blister.You will soon get to know what I mean.
Lastly take your boots off each time you stop to give your feet and socks a chance to dry off you will be amazed the difference it makes trust me,as damp socks cause friction within your boot as you walk ,which in turn causes blisters
Good luck.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
" I'm having so many emotions/thoughts - excited, nervous, happy, do I have enough underwear, and so forth."

Hello Kat - yes, completely normal mind activity - that trying to be prepared for everything, that trying to predict what will be happening and control it - perfectly normal!
But here is the thing, the 'mental advice' - the Camino, your Camino ... it is not controllable, it is out of your control! It will just happen, unfold ... so, the mental thing? Let go, don't try to control it, don't try to predict it - just go with it. Take care of your body (especially your feet), take care of your equipment, carry some food and water and just sort of amble along wondering what will happen next.

You will see many pilgrims out there who are not living the moment but living the future - how far will I walk, where will I stay, should I book a room, will there be a bed ... and this is fear, fear of not being able to control things ... so they get up in the dark and rush along and their Camino can turn into torture (though they most likely won't know this) ...
then there are the other pilgrims, who amble along, enjoying things as they happen, regularly stopping to take their boots and socks off and look at the view, look back to where they were hours ago and marvel at how far they have come. Those who stop for ages just to watch some ponies moving along the skyline, to play with a village cat .... they cover the same distances, they find a bed - the difference is that they are in the Now - be that sort of pilgrim ;)

Buen Camino!!!

p.s. - yes, you have too much underwear - take only what you need, not what you think you might need.

" I'm having so many emotions/thoughts - excited, nervous, happy, do I have enough underwear, and so forth."

Hello Kat - yes, completely normal mind activity - that trying to be prepared for everything, that trying to predict what will be happening and control it - perfectly normal!
But here is the thing, the 'mental advice' - the Camino, your Camino ... it is not controllable, it is out of your control! It will just happen, unfold ... so, the mental thing? Let go, don't try to control it, don't try to predict it - just go with it. Take care of your body (especially your feet), take care of your equipment, carry some food and water and just sort of amble along wondering what will happen next.

You will see many pilgrims out there who are not living the moment but living the future - how far will I walk, where will I stay, should I book a room, will there be a bed ... and this is fear, fear of not being able to control things ... so they get up in the dark and rush along and their Camino can turn into torture (though they most likely won't know this) ...
then there are the other pilgrims, who amble along, enjoying things as they happen, regularly stopping to take their boots and socks off and look at the view, look back to where they were hours ago and marvel at how far they have come. Those who stop for ages just to watch some ponies moving along the skyline, to play with a village cat .... they cover the same distances, they find a bed - the difference is that they are in the Now - be that sort of pilgrim
Buen Camino!!
p.s. - yes, you have too much underwear - take only what you need, not what you think you might need

[/QUOTE
Thanks David, wonderful reminder of how to leave the desire to control and the burden of fear behind. May we be so blessed as to walk the Way and to stroll through Life with such awareness.
p.s. - and underwear is highly overrated!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back