• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WARNING if you're leaving Sarria tomorrow (4th October 2023) ⚠️.

Time of past OR future Camino
Inglès April 2023
Primitivo July 2023
A friendly heads up to anyone leaving Sarria tomorrow:

An Italian friend (with five of her colleagues) is leading a group of 88 teenage students on the Camino from Sarria to Santiago, starting tomorrow! Yes, 94 people in one group.
Anyone who meets a friendly, slightly shorter Italian woman with dark curly hair and an absolutely wonderful personality herding a group of teenagers please greet her from me!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My mind is picturing them trundling along as you see pre-school children, one adult in front, a very, VERY long rope with every student holding it and one adult at the rear holding the end of the rope lol. I realize this will not be the case, but it amuses me.

I'm sure they will have a wonderful time! I hope other pilgrims have earplugs!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

An Italian friend (with five of her colleagues) is leading a group of 88 teenage students on the Camino from Sarria to Santiago, starting tomorrow! Yes, 94 people in one group.
Anyone who meets a friendly, slightly shorter Italian woman with dark curly hair and an absolutely wonderful personality herding a group of teenagers please greet her from me!!
You can always taxi to Morgade or Barbadelo—-closer to the actual 100km start, and let
them be behind you. Hoping they are not also creating a cloud of cig smoke for the rest to experience. Good on’em for doing it!! Glad I won’t be behind them😎🤐😂

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hats off to your friend! Having spent a fair amount of time leading middle school kids on day hikes in US national parks, I am in awe of the time, dedication, and talent it must take to pull off a multi day journey of this nature!

My husband and I arrived in Santiago yesterday, so unfortunately, we will miss the joy of seeing them.

To be honest I don't like those big groups on a Camino or any other walking route. I can understand the motivation to want to walk a Camino with schoolgroups or students. I am afraid though the motivation. comes from the adults most of the time. Young people, certainly in big groups, are as they should be, noisy, joyful and very present. ( perhaps many of them would rather go to an all inclusive beachresort) I. like to walk more in quietness. That is also why I don't want to walk the last 100 km's of the busiest caminos.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hats off to your friend! Having spent a fair amount of time leading middle school kids on day hikes in US national parks, I am in awe of the time, dedication, and talent it must take to pull off a multi day journey of this nature!

My husband and I arrived in Santiago yesterday, so unfortunately, we will miss the joy of seeing them.
Fantastic - well done, @Shells!

Now you can write your own Camino book too!

I am not a fan of the big noisy student groups either @Antonius Vaessen (especially when they are playing loud music, singing, etc.), but I do feel it is an wonderful accomplishment for anyone to walk a Camino (whether they are noisy or not.) My husband loves the big student groups and they usually fall into to step with him to get a little practice with English for a a short way.

They usually quickly pass both of us by. My one very painful memory was when a large school group passed me and arrived before me at a small bar on a very hot day and drank EVERY SINGLE cold drink before I got there. Really, they stripped the place of every last can of anything cold. I was mad about it the rest of the day and still have some resentment... This year we stopped at the same place and they've really spruced the place up now AND they had plenty of drinks to serve so I am trying to let go of that 2016 memory.

Where will they all be sleeping?
Such large groups nearly always nowadays sleep outside of the usual infrastructures for pilgrims and ad hoc Camino Families. They do sometimes reserve an entire Municipal or large Private Albergue, which can be rather unhelpful.

Biggest problem nowadays is that they make traffic jams along the Way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Yes great effort that. Both my daughters are teachers and I know the effort it takes just to manage a 20 mile day trips to London Zoo!

@Shells, congratulations to you both!
Thank you. We’re still at the stage where we’re trying to assimilate, and get ready to return to our everyday lives, and neither of us is very successful yet at expressing what this experience means to us, either individually or collectively. Perhaps my husband has come the closest when he simply reached for my hand yesterday and whispered, “Thank you for asking me to do this.”

My contribution is to start crying for no reason at all, except that all the emotions have to go somewhere…but all the tears are ones of joy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fantastic - well done, @Shells!

Now you can write your own Camino book too!
Hi John—you have no idea how much I have appreciated your support. I am done with this Camino, but as was said at the Pilgrim Mass, “re-entering the Camino of my life.”

In so many ways, this has been like a pause between breaths, or the silence between heartbeats—just a moment for me to slow down time and schedules and appointments and noise…Perhaps the best I can offer right now is to say that this has been a pause in my life, which will last for the rest of my life. I don’t have the words to explain, just the feeling, but maybe you already know what I mean..

To be honest I don't like those big groups on a Camino or any other walking route. ... Young people, certainly in big groups, are as they should be, noisy, joyful and very present. ... I. like to walk more in quietness.
I think that being noisy, joyful and very present is not any less "pilgrim-like", at any age, than walking in quietness. They have as much right to take up space on the Caminos and walking routes as those who like to walk in silence.

(In fact, being very present is what I strive for on all of my Caminos, whether I am loud or quiet at the time.)

I think that being noisy, joyful and very present is not any less "pilgrim-like", at any age, than walking in quietness. They have as much right to take up space on the Caminos and walking routes as those who like to walk in silence.

(In fact, being very present is what I strive for on all of my Caminos, whether I am loud or quiet at the time.)
I don't deny anybody the right to walk the way they want. I have got the right to not like it and go my own way and avoid the crowd. (By the way: For me there is a difference between a crowd formed by individual people or an "organised" crowd)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi John—you have no idea how much I have appreciated your support. I am done with this Camino, but as was said at the Pilgrim Mass, “re-entering the Camino of my life.”

In so many ways, this has been like a pause between breaths, or the silence between heartbeats—just a moment for me to slow down time and schedules and appointments and noise…Perhaps the best I can offer right now is to say that this has been a pause in my life, which will last for the rest of my life. I don’t have the words to explain, just the feeling, but maybe you already know what I mean..
I think I do.

Writing a blog post most days helped me make sense of it at the time, and re-reading those words at different times over the last five years has always been a boon.

Walking the Camino will unlock emotions and thoughts that might be unexpected - it will take time for the full meaning of your experience to reveal itself.

It will come.

I am not a fan of the big noisy student groups either @Antonius Vaessen (especially when they are playing loud music, singing, etc.), but I do feel it is an wonderful accomplishment for anyone to walk a Camino (whether they are noisy or not.) My husband loves the big student groups and they usually fall into to step with him to get a little practice with English for a a short way.

They usually quickly pass both of us by. My one very painful memory was when a large school group passed me and arrived before me at a small bar on a very hot day and drank EVERY SINGLE cold drink before I got there. Really, they stripped the place of every last can of anything cold. I was mad about it the rest of the day and still have some resentment... This year we stopped at the same place and they've really spruced the place up now AND they had plenty of drinks to serve so I am trying to let go of that 2016 memory.
I encountered a group the first time I reached the Cruz de Ferro. They swarmed all over the rock mound throwing rocks at each other, which somewhat changed my plans given I didnt want to be target practice.
Stopped at Acebo and let them pass.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We ran through a similar sized group in June. It was a riot, and just a minor inconvenience. I'd rather see kids on the Way than anywhere else.

Agree 100%!

Yes. I ran into a couple of such groups in 2007. While I had enjoyed my solo walking days very much it was also fun to chat with them and let them practice their English.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

LOL -good to know, I'm skipping to Sarria n Friday. I'll be behind them the whole way.

I totally agree with @Jim Porter that this is a much better way to celebrate graduation than another popular option — a trip to a Spanish beach with a pre-packaged, all-inclusive stay, including alcohol.
Not as much fun though 😉

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've previously encountered large organized groups of young people walking the Frances together from Sarria to Santiago. It never inconvenienced me, slowed me down or affected my walk in any way. They don't stay in albergue enmasse so that's not an issue.
In fact as a whole I've never had any real issues from Sarria onwards on any of my Camino Frances.

Ah, but they are.
I have never encountered or observed that before on the Frances. I can't imagine a group of twenty or so showing up at an albergue reasonably expecting and assuming there'd be beds for all of them.
You've actually seen that happen before, or just heard from someone else it has?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have never encountered or observed that before on the Frances. I can't imagine a group of twenty or so showing up at an albergue reasonably expecting and assuming there'd be beds for all of them.
You've actually seen that happen before, or just heard from someone else it has?
It's what his friend told him they are doing:
Ok, so she's just gotten back to me, they're using Albergues - currently in Porto Marin

To be more specific my friend actually told me that they were all staying "in an Albergue in Portomarin". Singular, not plural. There's at least one that I can think of in Portomarin that could easily cope with a pre-booking of that size.
Let's face it a trip of this size is no small undertaking. You are correct, you most certainly would not just show up at an Albergue expecting them to have places for you. Nor is it something you do at a moment's notice. You have considerable responsibility as the teacher of a school group.
I rather suspect (although I have not bothered to ask) that this has been months if not more than a year in the planning. My friend has walked multiple caminos, two this year alone - and is a very organised individual. (Heck she even organized me a couple of times and that is no small task! ). If even one of her colleagues is even half as good as she is this will be very well planned out.
I'm not bothering to ask further details of her - that will be forthcoming when she's finished. When she's on camino she's rather like I am - the phone gets packed away, and is only used if necessary.

Although I have to admit I cheat - I also like to post on the forum in the evening if the opportunity presents!

Incidentally, from memory tonight they're in Pedrouzo. Which, if correct, means it'll be their last day tomorrow - how I wish I could be there to see them walk in!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I was on the Francés in 2019 there was a group of about 30 teenage boys (and their chaperones) all staying in the same albergues. One of which was the municipal albergue in Azofra, which has 60 beds. This municipal accepts reservations.

how I wish I could be there to see them walk in!
Your post triggered another memory I just have to share (for the umpteenth time, I know), about those exuberant teens. I was volunteering in the pilgrims office, back in the day when you waited outside in the courtyard on Rúa Nova. We heard a huge commotion out there, and those of us at the compostela desk rolled our eyes and groused a bit about another unruly bunch of youngsters. Then they started coming in, all had t-shirts that said “Te queremos Juanjo.” In the group were Juanjo’s parents. The group had walked in memory of their dear friend, who had died very young, and had walked into Santiago on the anniversary of his death. There was a crazy mix of laughter, tears, hugs, jumps, high fives, and it was one of the most amazing tributes to life and love that I’ve ever witnessed.

Incidentally, from memory tonight they're in Pedrouzo. Which, if correct, means it'll be their last day tomorrow - how I wish I could be there to see them walk in!
We r in Arzua tonight, it is hot for all those young people, sad I'll miss them walking into the square by a day!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
They're staying at the old monastery in Santiago, the Seminario Menor, and so am I.

I saw them along the way

And its a joy to see so many young peopme doing tge Camino. What a treat fir them.

They have thoughtful and smart teachers to guide them
I was about to message my friend with your kind words, when I realised it can’t be her lot - they’re scheduled to stay in Pedrouzo tonight.
Unless, of course they had a heck of a long day today- but judging by her comments after yesterday’s 30 km day, I highly doubt it!
Must be two groups of young Italians on the trail.
More, judging by the post from @out2c above!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
An army of Italian lads arrived yesterday. Boisterous and excited but well behaved. The only excursion I ever did at that age was to the local swimming pool. Lucky lads! What an experience this must be for them.
I leave Santiago today. My Camino is over, sad to say. So now I’m thinking about the next one. It’ll have to be in Springtime. Missed all the red poppies and the wildflowers this time.
So, au revoir.
Thank you for your replies. It’s been a pleasure.
Buen Camino fellow pilgrims.

Attachments

• IMG_2412.jpeg
    IMG_2412.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2409.jpeg
    IMG_2409.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2402.jpeg
    IMG_2402.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2396.jpeg
    IMG_2396.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So, as @Lexicos reported, the group walked in yesterday - unlikely there were two Italian armies on the march in one day! @Lexicos , you didn't by any chance get a photo of them did you? Or any one else that was in the square yesterday (Sunday 8th).

Minor correction, @Lexicos , they didn't all walk in together, what you saw was just the advance party! I should have realised when you said "lads" - there was a large percentage of young ladies too...

You can always taxi to Morgade or Barbadelo—-closer to the actual 100km start, and let
them be behind you. Hoping they are not also creating a cloud of cig smoke for the rest to experience. Good on’em for doing it!! Glad I won’t be behind them😎🤐😂
Morgade was a great place to stay and I recommend it as I also stayed there to avoid other large groups, just last week. Avoid the large towns and common stage stops.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Morgade was a great place to stay and I recommend it as I also stayed there to avoid other large groups, just last week. Avoid the large towns and common stage stops.
And start early! Watch the sunrise and leave by 7 or 7:30 and you will avoid mich of the crowds.

I'm going to see if I can take off the "Alert" tag/prefix as this no longer seems a concern for pilgrims leaving Sarria (and we haven't heard concerns from people where they are).

I'm going to see if I can take off the "Alert" tag/prefix as this no longer seems a concern for pilgrims leaving Sarria (and we haven't heard concerns from people where they are).
Appreciate. And bearing in mind that the subjects in question have actually finished the Camino, would it be appropriate to close the thread?

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back