Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Live from Primitivo

ParistoCapeCod

"Come on mom this 14k isn't going to walk itself."
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese, Primitivo, Norte. Hospitalera
¡hola! We are in San Romao today at the municipal. Just us! Yesterday was beautiful, sunny and warmer than I expected. It rained hard last night and drizzle all day, leaving some major mud and running water on the trail that can't be avoided.

In Lugo a wonderful female guide gave us un unsolicired cathedral tour in perfect English that was second to none.

Tomorrow As Sexias. Buen camino! Lisa and TJ

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Lisa and TJ,

Sounds like you are having a good camino. I remember that lovely municipal albergue in Sao Romao. Sort of like the little hobbit house, with a couple of bedrooms and a kitchen in the middle, if I remember right? I have heard similarly good things about As Seixas, but this means you will miss Juanma at the Albergue Ponte Ferreira. If it's a good stopping point, why not poke your head in and tell him the forum says hi!

Hi Lisa and TJ!
Will be reading your entries with great interest, as my hope is to walk the Primitivo next April/May.
I hope it won't be too difficult for an old-timer ;).
Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
¡hola! We are in San Romao today at the municipal. Just us! Yesterday was beautiful, sunny and warmer than I expected. It rained hard last night and drizzle all day, leaving some major mud and running water on the trail that can't be avoided.

In Lugo a wonderful female guide gave us un unsolicired cathedral tour in perfect English that was second to none.

Tomorrow As Sexias. Buen camino! Lisa and TJ
Not too far behind you....in Castro tonight at a lovely albergue/bar/restaurant run by the lovely Natalia.Highly Recommended.
I almost went on the Frances route after seeing torrential rain in Oviedo on Saturday last,but I have to say,the primitivo is spectacular.Got good weather for the hospitales route yesterday,so lovely.Its raining hard outside as I type,and yes,there is quite a lot of mud on the way,but it's been worth it.

Not too far behind you....in Castro tonight at a lovely albergue/bar/restaurant run by the lovely Natalia.Highly Recommended.
I almost went on the Frances route after seeing torrential rain in Oviedo on Saturday last,but I have to say,the primitivo is spectacular.Got good weather for the hospitales route yesterday,so lovely.Its raining hard outside as I type,and yes,there is quite a lot of mud on the way,but it's been worth it.
Hi, Fledermaus.
Do you remember the name of this albergue/bar/restaurant?
Thank you!

Ultreia!

It is probably the Albergue Juvenil right next to the chapel. Great place, but it is a youth hostel so sometimes has bookings for youth groups. Check before leaving Grandas was the advice given to us. Details on Stage 7 of Gronze's guide to the Primitivo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is probably the Albergue Juvenil right next to the chapel. Great place, but it is a youth hostel so sometimes has bookings for youth groups. Check before leaving Grandas was the advice given to us. Details on Stage 7 of Gronze's guide to the Primitivo
The juvenil is the only albergue in Castro, so that must be it. Beautiful old stome house, delicious home cooked meals and a huge backyard for an afternoon rest. There were three of us when I stayed there, it was perfect.

@Tia Valeria & @Anemone del Camino
Exactly why I was questioning because the only pilgrim-like accommodation I have in my notes is this private albergue juvenil. It would be nice to know if there is another option although staying overnight in Castro isn't on my plan. But you never know ;)
Thanks!

Hi, Fledermaus.
Do you remember the name of this albergue/bar/restaurant?
Thank you!

Ultreia!
Hi,
It's as the others have said,the albergue Juvenil.
I chose it over staying in grandas,and I'm glad I did....there are however just 16 beds,when I arrived,most had been reserved,I got #14.
You are really looking at going back to grandas if it is full,or,walking a further 20k to a fonsagrada...not an option!
Reserve if you ever think you might stay.
It was approx €22 for bed,dinner and breakfast.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
I chose it over staying in grandas,and I'm glad I did....there are however just 16 beds,when I arrived,most had been reserved,I got #14.
You are really looking at going back to grandas if it is full,or,walking a further 20k to a fonsagrada...not an option!
I'm planning previous stage from La Mesa (or Berducedo depending on weather) to Grandas de Salime and next day Grandas to Padron (or Fonsagrada). So I'll skip Castro at this point. But on Camino I just go with the flow :)

As Seixas was phenomenal! There is now a restaurant around the corner, Casa Goriños. In Melide we stayed at Albergue Pereiro, super clean and comfortable. We attended Mass at San Pedro at 20,00.

Tonight in Ribadixo da Baixo, Albergue Los Caminantes, to avoid crowds in Arzua. Then O Pedrouzo.

Superb lunch in Castañeda today at the second restaurant, on the bend.

Weather is still variable, sun, clouds, rain, warm, cool. Galicia.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Hi,
What day do you arrive in SdC @Fledermaus? I'm planning Monday morning.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As Seixas was phenomenal! There is now a restaurant around the corner, Casa Goriños. In Melide we stayed at Albergue Pereiro, super clean and comfortable. We attended Mass at San Pedro at 20,00.

Tonight in Ribadixo da Baixo, Albergue Los Caminantes, to avoid crowds in Arzua. Then O Pedrouzo.

Superb lunch in Castañeda today at the second restaurant, on the bend.

Weather is still variable, sun, clouds, rain, warm, cool. Galicia.
Is Casa Gorino able to operate its albergue or still just the restaurant?

I'm planning previous stage from La Mesa (or Berducedo depending on weather) to Grandas de Salime and next day Grandas to Padron (or Fonsagrada). So I'll skip Castro at this point. But on Camino I just go with the flow :)

Hola amigo irlandés!

I was planning to stay in Grandas too, but it was a lovely day and I decided to move forward a bit, and it was worth it, the tiny town is great, the albergue is fantastic, the whole location is amazing, the ruins of the old celtic village are absolutely worth a visit, and the atmosphere, in the middle of nowhere pouring cider with just a few pilgrims at sunset was just UNIQUE. If you like rural locations, the Castro youth hostel is paradise, I have such fond memories of the place, we drank up all the cider reserves, and I had all Germans, Colombian and Polish pilgrims practise the pouring of cider from a high bottle onto a glass. Such fond memories...

Well, thank you Amancio, although I'm not Irish. But I doubt we are much behind regarding certain behaviour over here :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What day do you arrive in SdC @Fledermaus? I'm planning Monday morning.
Hi,I am in Lugo today,and I have decided to take a day off tomorrow,I am just tired,happy,but tired.My plan now is to walk to As Seixas on Monday,then walk to Melide on Tuesday morning,then a bus to Santiago for my late afternoon flight....cutting it tight,but hey.I've done the France's from there.
Now I've just got to confirm that there actually is a bus from Melide to Santiago.....:)

Hi,I am in Lugo today,and I have decided to take a day off tomorrow,I am just tired,happy,but tired.My plan now is to walk to As Seixas on Monday,then walk to Melide on Tuesday morning,then a bus to Santiago for my late afternoon flight....cutting it tight,but hey.I've done the France's from there.
Now I've just got to confirm that there actually is a bus from Melide to Santiago.....:)
As Sexias municipal was terrific. In Melide we ate at Guarnacha, very good. We are very, very tired.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back