• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long stretch from Carrión to Calzadilla de la Cueza

What should someone do if they need to use the bathroom in a stretch with no privacy?

• Find a thin bush and pretend that’s enough

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Hold it and hope

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Immediately quit the Camino, call a cab, and schedule your flight home

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other??? Please specify

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Sssnek

Time of past OR future Camino
9/20/23 to 10/27/23 (hopefully)
This may be my very most important Camino insight ever, and I want this to be super searchable:

Yes, Carrión to Calzadilla de la Cueza is almost 18km with little to no shade, and not great opportunities for water (there was a little coffee stand about 9km in but idk if that’s a permanent fixture.)

Here is my oh so important addition: no bathrooms, and not really any good bushes either. SO! Absolutely drink enough water to be happy and healthy. But do not be me. Maybe you all have pelvic floors made of steel, but I walked about 6km absolutely certain that I was going to pee my pants 🙃

I would like to, now, ask a question of the group: in a no-privacy situation like, say, 6km of literally just field and maybe an occasional and very thin bush, what should a hypothetical person do on the Camino? I have several more days of Meseta, although I am hoping like hell this was a one time struggle.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Biophysics is an immutable part of the pilgrimage experience. Almost all of us has faced, or will face, the particular situation you described, and there can be no shame in that.

One option is to walk a few hundred metres off of The Way to do the necessary.

BTW I have much experience as a long-distance cycle-tourist and a moderate amount as a foot-pilgrim. That experience taught me to always carry with me a roll of toilet paper (perhaps known amongst the upper classes as "bathroom tissue") wrapped in a waterproof bag, and a pack of alcohol wipes.

This is the worst of it on the CF really without a suitable place to relieve yourself. Yes, sometimes you just have to go off and pee and most people will look the other way. If you are walking with someone they can provide a bit of a sight block, but mainly you are just letting it hang out.

Some women swear by those devices which let you pee while standing, but I never thought I could manage the hang of that without making a bigger mess. Other swear by walking in a dress or skirt for a little more coverage, but I'd probably get that wet, too.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Since I carry an umbrella I use it as a shield, heading off the main track, in this more open situation with no cover. I have a pee rag that I can wash out later (do not leave toilet paper behind!). But truthfully it's a skill to learn to squat in the open air and to stand up again unaided which is why so many female hikers suggest a few different methods that involve finding something to give support.

Best advice is to practice whatever method if you aren't experienced beforehand to see what you can manage, what works for you, and if you want to try some form of FUD to let you pee when standing definitely practice in shower first! So I hike a fair amount, but I know I find "it" most difficult with leggings to get them up and down etc, whereas my summer "running" shorts are easier, or a skirt

Yes, sometimes you just have to go off and pee and most people will look the other way
I was mostly worried about… I don’t know, offending someone’s sensibilities? By squatting in a field? Doesn’t make as much sense when I say it now, but at the time I’m pretty sure the pee had reached my brain.
But truthfully it's a skill to learn to squat in the open air and to stand up again unaided which is why so many female hikers suggest a few different methods that involve finding something to give support
I am not afraid to pee in the woods, but am admittedly unfamiliar with techniques that do not involve a tree or rock to lean against. More research may be necessary.

The Beloved suggests walking off-track for a reasonable distance and squatting facing the path. Your lowered clothing will hide hide your more private parts and you get a good look at anyone with the indecency to stare. That'll give you the opportunity to flop a glass of water in their lap should you encounter them again sat at a cafe or bar

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This may be my very most important Camino insight ever, and I want this to be super searchable:

Yes, Carrión to Calzadilla de la Cueza is almost 18km with little to no shade, and not great opportunities for water (there was a little coffee stand about 9km in but idk if that’s a permanent fixture.)

Here is my oh so important addition: no bathrooms, and not really any good bushes either. SO! Absolutely drink enough water to be happy and healthy. But do not be me. Maybe you all have pelvic floors made of steel, but I walked about 6km absolutely certain that I was going to pee my pants 🙃

I would like to, now, ask a question of the group: in a no-privacy situation like, say, 6km of literally just field and maybe an occasional and very thin bush, what should a hypothetical person do on the Camino? I have several more days of Meseta, although I am hoping like hell this was a one time struggle.
When I was in a situation I chose option 2 and it was a really close thing! In general, I go with option 4: Go before I leave the albergue and it is enough.

If 4 didn't work and 2 didn't look like it was going to, I would go with 1 rather than 3. If the route wasn't too crowded I would try and find a time when no one was in sight. If it was very crowded, maybe I would try and get pilgrims to form a human screen with their backs to me, but that is just hypothesizing because I've never been in that situation.

I remember a scene from the movie "The Way" … the girl had to pee and the boys were standing with their backs towards her. 😉
I don’t remember this scene, but I am more than happy to collect a gaggle of guys as my personal human shield. I’ll make a sign for my pack to begin advertising immediately 😂

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
IMHO, methinks this is much ado about nada. It's not like your fellow pilgrims are standing on the trail observing you in your awkward field positions to determine the number of 'style points' you should be awarded. No one is expected to clean up pee, but Mother Nature appreciates the use of a blue bag or other appropriate receptacle for # 2. Standing behind a cow and pointing a finger at her as if she's the guilty party for the mess you just made, will not get you those much coveted style points . . .

I was on my way to Carrion and had to pee just that bad. I squatted in front of cars driving by etc and got relief . I was 67 and less modest and a very small bladder.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I'm at home I feel like I pee every 20 minutes (I don't, but that's my perception) and I was worried about long stretches on Camino. I bought (and never used ) a she-wee for my Camino so I could stand to pee ( I was concerned about tipping over while squatting with my backpack).

If I absolutely had to and there were no trees/bushes to shield me, I would walk a few feet off trail and assume that everyone that saw me would glance and look away to be polite.

I’ve been part of a ‘shield’ before and have since asked the same of others successfully! On that very stretch from Carrion de los Condes, a woman asked me and another if we had rain ponchos. We did and she asked if we could open them up and create a blind around her, facing the path, so she could pee. It works well! A 3 person blind is even better 😁

I remember a scene from the movie "The Way" … the girl had to pee and the boys were standing with their backs towards her. 😉
Let's call it the "buddy system" and it worked just fine. But i'd advise to check a bit for a gap in the line of pilgrims.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's kind of how Pat and I work it.
She needs to pee every 10 minutes! Or it seems like it.
On that stretch she would use her pack or umbrella as a bit of a modesty screen.
Sometimes there is a slight dip in the trail which helps get you partly below others sightline.
Pick the timing so there is a bit of a gap between Pilgrims, even if only 50-100 m.
It's amazing how fast she could be..........

I remember on the Francis in 2018 having diarrhoea and being caught short of facilities on two occasions. There was no time to wander a few hundred yards off the path for privacy. I just had to drop my pants and go. About 20yards from the trail. People walking by just kindly looked away. Also with no shrub /tree to hold onto I found the rucksac a useful counterbalancing weight! Hope this helps.

Some women swear by those devices which let you pee while standing, but I never thought I could manage the hang of that without making a bigger mess. Other swear by walking in a dress or skirt for a little more coverage, but I'd probably get that wet, too.
There is no mess which is the point of them. It's basically peeing into a fitted funnel -- you can't miss. That said, if you are wearing pants, you will have to at least pull them down far enough to be able to use the device, so unless you are wearing a dress, you won't be incognito.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
First: if you see a pack at the side of the path, look away. It is a sign that a pelerine has gone off the path to do her business.

Second: Carry a toilet kit that has some toilet paper or wet wipes and doggie poop bags and a trowel is useful if caught with a bout of diarrhea. In the latter case, dig a hole and bury it, but if it is solid, pick it up in the doggie bag along with all the paper and carry it to the nearest rubbish bin. Leave nothing but urine behind.

Third: An umbrella makes a great modesty screen and I have used mine as such on many occasions.

Fourth: It is sod's law that as soon as you squat down, a cyclist, jogger, or a man with a dog will appear. I often have to go urgently only 30 minutes into a walk, and leaving in the dark one morning, I found a bush in the dark in a public park. I had just started my business when a dog walked right up to me, attached to the dog was a leash, and holding onto that was a startled man!

Fifth: In that long stretch there is a picnic area with a low wall and evidence that most of the pilgrims in the history of the walk have taken the privacy opportunity that it affords, and have not followed rule number 2. There is also a small thicket a few km further on.

Final thought: I would love to see a Friends group put in public toilets in stretches such as this one similar to the ones that were in most little towns on the Podiensis. They were composting toilets and you supplied your own paper. I tried to start a Rotary International Friends of the Camino, and our service part would have been to do just that, but I couldn't get enough support.

Fourth: It is sod's law that as soon as you squat down, a cyclist, jogger, or a man with a dog will appear.
Coming round a sharp bend in the path in woodland near Melide a few years ago I almost fell over a woman squatting right in the middle of the track with her trousers and underwear around her ankles and steam arising from a damp patch at her feet. Difficult to ignore and pretend you have not seen when you have to take drastic evasive steps to avoid a collision. Please at least step off the path by a metre or two so that we can all practice plausible deniability.....

Coming round a sharp bend in the path in woodland near Melide a few years ago I almost fell over a woman squatting right in the middle of the track with her trousers and underwear around her ankles and steam arising from a damp patch at her feet. Difficult to ignore and pretend you have not seen when you have to take drastic evasive steps to avoid a collision. Please at least step off the path by a metre or two so that we can all practice plausible deniability.....
That wasn't me!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I avoid that strip altogether by taking the bus. Problem solved!

This is the worst of it on the CF really without a suitable place to relieve yourself. Yes, sometimes you just have to go off and pee and most people will look the other way. If you are walking with someone they can provide a bit of a sight block, but mainly you are just letting it hang out.

also, you can get biodegradable pet poop bags just in case

One of the women I met did this. Her and her friend thought it was hilarious (her friend took photos). I thought they were both disgusting. Just step off the trail! GAH!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back