Looking for Wikilocs routes/codes for the Norte (plus any other advice) | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims

By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign
Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Looking for Wikilocs routes/codes for the Norte (plus any other advice)

Discussion in 'El Camino del Norte' started by Tom Morley, Oct 12, 2017 at 3:47 AM.

1. Tom Morley

Tom Morley New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Planning on the Camino Del Norte in 2018
    I'm preparing to walk the Norte next summer - July and into August - and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row. I've recently downloaded Wikilocs and am trying to filter the routes. Has anyone already done this? I'm also wondering about how far in advance I should be starting to try and book any of the Alburgues etc, or if that is even really a necessity. Other thoughts and advice are gratefully accepted.

2. NualaOC

NualaOC Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francés, Inglés, Finisterre/Muxia, Baztanés x2, Primitivo, Norte and hopefully many more.
    Hi Tom, wishing you well with your planning.

I've walked some of the Norte - from Irun to Llanes and found it to be well enough marked most of the time. I don't think you'll need GPS tracks, unless you plan to take some of the (wonderful) coastal and other alternatives. If so, have a look at @peregrina2000's excellent thread on that topic, as well as this one about the coastal route from Santander to Boo.

It's probably a bit early to make bookings. Although you're walking in the busy tourist season, I'd only recommend booking your first night in Irun (if that's where you're starting) and perhaps also San Sebastian. After that, you can figure out if it's necessary to book and do it on a day by day basis if needed.

3. Edward Awad

Edward Awad El peregrino

Camino(s) past & future:
    (SJPP-Logrono 2009), (Logrono-Santiago 2015), (Irun-Finistere 2018)
    Hi Tom,

You can find GPS tracks of the individual stages of del norte on this link: http://www.northerncaminos.com/updates.html. They 're supposed to correspond to the routes detailed in the Cicerone's The Northern Caminos guidebook. Buen camino!

4. Tom Morley

Tom Morley New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thanks, Nuala! I'll keep that in mind. Do you know of anyone whose taken the coastal route from Ribadeo to Ferrol? or who might have gps tracks for that section?

5. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

That wouold be the Ruta do Mar, maggie and alan on the forum have posted. I think Alan's tracks are on wikiloc. look for alansykes. Look here for discussions https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/ruta-do-mar-from-ribadeo.112/

And I HIGHLY recommend those coastal alternatives I posted (that Nuala linked to), they are so much more beautiful and so much easier on the feet than pounding along the national highway for km after km. It does make the stages longer, but doable,and if you have time, it's easy to break them up.

6. Thomas1962

Thomas1962 Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2010: Porto - SdC - Finisterra 2011: E4 on Crete 2012: Le Puy - SJPdP 2013: Camino Madrid -> Del Salvador -> Primitivo 2014: European Peace Walk. 2015: Amsterdam - SdC & Barcelona -Burgos. 2016:Norte & hospitalero
  7. Tom Morley

Tom Morley New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thanks, Peregrina! I will definitely explore those. I'm not a fan of road walking. If I'm doing the coastal routes, how much further per day are they? I'm figuring that with a little more training I cna probably safely manage 25 to 30 km a day (with some shorter or rest stages built in).

8. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

Well, I found that I arrived sometimes as late as 3 or 4 pm, which is way later than I like. You would just have to go stage by stage and compare (easiest way would be to take the coastal alternative track and compare it to the standard camino track, wikiloc has lots of each). I knew I was going to walk the coastal tracks and didn't pay attention to what the road alternative was, but I can tell you that some days were as high as 36 or 38. I remember arriving into Llanes at 3:30 or so, which is a lot later than most people who walk the camino arrived. It also made the day into Ribadeo a long day, but oh so beautiful! I am happy to offer specific suggestions on how to break up a particular stage if you tell me which ones would be too long. Buen camino, Laurie