• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost Boots

hcsut

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning Sept 2014
This is a bit of a long shot, and not sure if it's the correct place to post this, but thought I would try!

We are currently walking Camino Frances, and last night we stayed at Albergue Camino del Person in Uterga. The albergue doesn't allow shoes upstairs, so we left ours downstairs on the communal rails. This morning (we were last out) there were a pair of boots left that looked like mine, but weren't! I had no choice but to walk in these today (gaining a few blisters on the way). They are bigger than mine (only half a size thankfully!) and a different design, and I hope that someone has mistakenly put mine on rather than having taken them deliberately.

We have spent our day asking people and passing on the message, but wanted to post here too in case that person was reading this, or anyone else that may have heard. Tonight we are in Lorca, and will be moving on slowly tomorrow. If anyone knows anything, I would really love my own boots back!!

Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wonder if wearing two pairs of socks would help your feet be more comfortable until you find your boots? The person wearing yours, that are 1/2 size smaller, probably has blisters worse than you do. There is a lot of information on this site with great suggestions for treating blisters that you might want to check out. When you catch up with your boots I hope that you can have a good laugh with the other owner over a bottle of vino tinto. I hope this all works out for you. Buen Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm so sorry this happened to you.
It is happening more and more, unfortunately.
There IS the chance that the boots were taken by mistake.
One of my clients did this in SJPP - got dressed in the dark - then on the way UP to Orisson, realized the shoes she had on were the exact same model and size, except someone had tipped the shoelaces in red fingernail polish! She was mortified. She never did run across her own shoes.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is common to leave boots at the door. To prevent mistakes, put your boots in a plastic bag on the rack, though that may not help if there is a thief. Since the purpose of leaving boots at the door is to keep the dormitory clean, once your boots are in a plastic bag, taking them to the room and putting them under the bed achieves the cleanliness objective. Rules-oriented hospitaleros may object, in which case, put the boots inside your pack, where they cannot see them!:)

As I was walking along the James River near Richmond, Virginia, a fellow walker noticed that on the outboard side of both hiking shoes (New Balance...very popular) ARN was clearly marked. To the question...WHY?
Quite pleased with myself, I mentioned the Camino and the "boot rack" situation.
To this the following question was asked, "OK, good if the lights are on. But what if not...then what?"
Thinking that through, I reached into my pocket and removed a small round plastic case. Contained there in were six sand spurs.

upload_2014-9-12_13-4-39.png
Hard to miss when placed inside the boot.
OK...OK, I'm just kidding. I wouldn't do that;).
Actually, I like some of Falcon's suggestions.
Buen "ouch, what's in my boot" Camino
Arn

Thinking that through, I reached into my pocket and removed a small round plastic case. Contained there in were six sand spurs.

Arn

Oh! We called those 'goatheads' when I was a kid, and buddy, they HURT!
This post made me laugh! lol!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is common to leave boots at the door. To prevent mistakes, put your boots in a plastic bag on the rack, though that may not help if there is a thief. Since the purpose of leaving boots at the door is to keep the dormitory clean, once your boots are in a plastic bag, taking them to the room and putting them under the bed achieves the cleanliness objective. Rules-oriented hospitaleros may object, in which case, put the boots inside your pack, where they cannot see them!:)

Falcon's advice here is so good, it is worth repeating.

I always felt uneasy about leaving my most important pieces of equipment (my shoes) outside an albergue door, far from sight, and after a few days I simply refused to do so. I did exactly what Falcon suggests, into a plastic bag and under my bed, or into my pack.

I trusted 99% of pilgrims along the Way. It's the 1% in need of shoes I worried about.

I trusted 99% of pilgrims along the Way. It's the 1% in need of shoes I worried about.

I sincerely believe that 90% of that 1% are fellow pilgrims picking up the wrong shoes as they leave...often so early in the morning they try not to disturb fellow pilgrims by turning on the lights. Hey, who in their right mind (oops, the pot and kettle thing) wants to take someone else's stinkey shoes.
Buen Camino,

Arn

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I sincerely believe that 90% of that 1% are fellow pilgrims picking up the wrong shoes as they leave...often so early in the morning they try not to disturb fellow pilgrims by turning on the lights. Hey, who in their right mind (oops, the pot and kettle thing) wants to take someone else's stinkey shoes.

You may be right, Arn. But the reason why shoes go missing is beside the key point, which is this: If you want to protect your equipment from thieves or innocent mistakes, follow the aforementioned advice!

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back