• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost Newbie on the forum

kuen74

Hi all,
Both excited and terrfied to be in this forum but here goes. Am a 36 yo Malaysian male currently working and risiding in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Prior to that I was in Singapore for 5 years, and was in Sydney for another 3.5. Guess that recent events in my life for the last few years has lead me to travel far and away from my comfort zone and leaving me needing in search of direction; and hence i always told myself i would least try to walk the Camino... even for the shortest route.
I am planning to walk the Camino in late Aug/ early September (though I could also do it later if need be), can someone advise on what should I do and prepare?
Really at a lost as from my readings (which seems extensive!) as the Camino seems like such a challenge. I am hoping to cover at least the 100km to obtain the pilgrim’s badge (though that is not the main reason why I am doing this, as do most people it is a personal passage I feel compelled to carry out at the current juncture in my life). As I will be traveling alone, and doing this for the first time; any advise is greatly appreaciated. And given the limited time I have, would least try to cover the 100km walk.
Can I understand where is a good place to start, to rest, sights to stop and take in the views (and perhaps view myself metaphorically speaking), and how long would it take to cover the min, 100km? I have done some general research to understand the type of gear I may be required to bring, but as I will be there around a week (at least or will make the required time to make it through the 100km walk), would appreaciate any advice on the amount of gear required as most ppl here are traveling for a much longer duration.
I will likely be flying in from Madrid and will proceed to travel from there on. Hence directions to make my way from Madrid to the Camino would be most appreciated. Cheers for the advise and help to this novice! Bless you all.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can go here to make a daily plan:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Read more threads in the Forum for information on preparation and equipment.

The last 100 km is approximately from Sarria to Santiago, and it can be completed in six days fairly easily, even if you are not in good walking shape.

You can take a bus from Madrid airport to Leon, or Madrid to Leon, then take a bus to Lugo, then a bus to Sarria. The Leon to Lugo bus leaves approximately every hour on the half hour, and the trip takes 3.5 to 4 hours.

You ask for the amount of gear required for a 7 day walk. You are in Galicia so some sort of waterproof cape/poncho which will cover your pack to. Shoes which you are happy to wear all day and have "broken in" for this part of the Camino lightweight trainer type rather than heavy walking shoes should be enough and you will be able to wear them afterwards plus a pair of flip-flops or whatever you call them. Trousers and shirts - lightweight ones which coming from the climates you have lived in seems likely - two of each or perhaps one pair of shorts and one long. A light fleece of the pullover type. Underpants and socks as few as you can but you will need to wash them and in Galicia drying time may be longer than ideal, say 3 of each. Wash kit, passport, money, camera/phone, etc.

You will need a small rucksack to carry this stuff in and for such a short journey this should be small enough to fit the airlines carry on regulations.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Starting in Sarria will give you about 115 km left to Santiago, which can easily be done in a week. I'd recommend Sarria to Portomarin (beautiful, white, odd town on a river), Portomarin to Palas de Rei, Palas de Rei to Ribadiso (cool, rustic albergue), Ribadiso to Rua, and Rua to Santiago.

That's kind of a fast track (only 5 days), so if you have more time you can take it slower. You can also stop just before Santiago in Monte del Gazo. There are tons of excited pilgrims there who can't wait to walk the last 5k together. I've heard it's a great atmosphere, and it allows you to arrive in Santiago earlier in the day. If the day you arrive is Sunday, the Cathedral and plaza will be packed with tourists and pilgrims - it's quite a sight.

Buen Camino!
Dylan

Thanks guys for offering me some pointers, did manage to look through some travel site to seem a basic itinerary as follow:
Day 2 Sarria to Portomarin (6h 23km +230m -300m)
DAY 3 – Portomarín to Palace do Rei (6h15 23km +340m -140m)
DAY 4 – Palace do Rei to Arzùa (7h 28km +140m -340m)
DAY 5 – Arzùa to Rùa-O Pino (5h15 18km +50m -130m)
DAY 6 –Rúa to Santiago de Compostela (5h20 19km +150m -186m)
DAY 7 – Santiago de Compostela
traveling alone should allow me the flexibility to make my way from Madrid to Leon and thereafter given that my flight should reach Madrid sometime around 10am. And thanks for the tip on trying to make it there on a Sunday, would definitely not want to miss the sight.
Any particular advise on places to stay for the areas i will be stopping by and places of interest to see. Well would definitely want to find a place at each stop where i can sit for a moment to self reflect and compose my thoughts and put them into my journal. Cheers for all the help

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.