• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lthnck55 off to SDC

lthrnck55

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances via Lourdes Sept/Oct/Nov 2022
Beginning my 2nd Camino - SJPDP to SDC *** Update *** My wife is going with me. She has been training, losing weight, tickets are bought, gear is being purchased and tested. I am excited.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Seven months. It seems like a long time. At least it used to seem like a long time. I can remember when a week seemed like a long time. Sixty years ago, when somebody said, "Christmas is only a week away!", I looked at them funny and with puzzlement. A week was like an eternity. Now, I am fully aware that the next seven months will go by all too quickly,

Very soon I will be in a little town in the south of France. A beautiful town. St. Jean Pied de Port is like stepping back in time. Nestled in the foothills of the Basque country in the foothills of the Pyrenees just across the border from Spain. A traditional starting place many pilgrims use to begin their journey to Santiago de Compostela. Wake up early in the morning, a cup of cafe con leche and a french roll before making my way to the ancient church for the Pilgrims mass. Properly blessed, I and many like me will begin the ascent up the mountains following a path that has been trod by millions over the last thousand years. Charlemagne led his army this way in 778 a.d. and participated in battles that inspired the Song of Roland, the oldest surviving major work of French literature. But the soul of this trail is the imprint left by the faith of uncounted pilgrims on their way to the Field of Stars to pay their respects to the relics of the apostle St. James the Greater. Their faith and courage blazed the path that led to the Reconquista of the Iberian Peninsula that drove the Moorish invaders back to Africa and very likely saved Christianity on the continent of Europe and ultimately the world.

Very soon I will walk into Pamplona. A city rich in history made famous by Ernest Hemingway in one of his early novels The Sun Also Rises. Each year in July, as they have for centuries, Pamplona celebrates the festival of San Fermin. The Running of the Bulls dating back to 1591. The people and atmosphere and food and spirit are palpable throughout the year.

After leaving Pamplona, I come to Alto del Perdon, the Hill of Forgiveness. What a view!

The Way continues through many towns and villages to the city of Burgos, the historic capital of Castile. The cathedral there is awe inspiring. Declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1984, it is a sight to behold and worth the journey all by itself.

Leaving Burgos, you find yourself on the Meseta. A plain of grass and fields that seem to extend forever with haunting endless span and beauty. As night falls and you walk into the evening hours you find yourself guided by the Milky Way stretching from horizon to horizon.

The Camino only gets better. The views, the people, the fellowship, the wine, the food and the blessings only become more welcoming as you make your way across Spain.

Seven more months.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
UPDATE --- My wife must have liked my post as well! She told me she wants to accompany me on this pilgrimage! God is good! :) Buen Camino To All!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.