• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please talk me off the ledge

Mikeylats

Time of past OR future Camino
August 8
Hey all,

I just arrived in Leon this afternoon to begin my solo Camino and I’m really getting into my own head. Sitting here in my albergue I’ve become excessively anxious, lonely and depressed. I’m so afraid of what’s ahead of me.

I’m worried about getting lost and whenever I don’t see a Camino trail arrow for a while that I’ll have been possibly wandering the wrong way for who knows how long.

I’m worried about making friends and having any kind of company during the walk. I’m a pretty social person but for some reason the culture and language difference here is throwing me off. How can you even tell whose a pilgrim? My credential isn’t out and displayed or anything so except for in rural areas idk how to even tell.

I’m worried about ordering at restaurants. Almost went all day today without eating because I didn’t know how to get a table or translate the menus.

I’m worried about eating and drinking in general and if there will be plentiful spots to grab both every day.

I’m worried about laundry because I’ve already sweated through my 2nd pair of 3 pairs of clothes I’ve packed. I have no clue how people even do it as my current albergue doesn’t have an option for neither machine or hand wash.

I’m worried about injuries because I have a bad knee. What if I can’t go on even after a rest day? Do people ever taxi forward through stages?

I’m worried I won’t make the timeline I need to make for my flight from Santiago to Barcelona to meet my gf for a post Camino vacation.

I feel soooo in over my head and so anxious and depressed that not eating all day didn’t even matter to me cause I never built up an appetite. Please talk me off this ledge because day 1 is tomorrow for this guy and I’m already thinking about quitting :/

Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One problem at a time.

"I’m worried about laundry" and having no clean clothes. As do all pilgrims, ha ha!

OK, so your ability to post to this forum evidences that you have access to some sort of computing device, which is good, and that you have chosen this site for help, which is outstanding!

Try opening Google Maps and searching using search string "laundromat" or "laundry" or just "laundr". That will reveal numerous coin-operated laundromats in central León. (Many Spanish laundromat washing machine cycles automatically dispense the detergent and sometimes softener, if not you can buy some detergent locally.)

While your clothes are getting clean, pick the next problem to be solved ... which might be food. Restaurants are one option but there will be grocery stores and shops too.

By the way, Google Translate can be of great help understanding menus and ordering food in restaurants.

Last edited:
Oh Mikey! I'm so sorry that you are having these thoughts that seem to disturb you a lot.

Where is your home, Mikey? Do you live in Europe, or Canada, or Australia, etc? Just curious cuz that info might help forum members better help you. I'm curious as to whether you may have had a long flight that has tired you out more than you expected.

For menu translation try the app "Say hi" or use Google translate. I really like "Say Hi". There are other great translation apps, too. I'm sure someone will jump on here to offer more ideas about translation apps.
You can ask the proprietor(s) of the albergue for assistance - they are usually quite helpful, To ask if someone speaks English say, "Hablo ingles?" .

Do you have any of the Camino apps on your phone (Wise Pilgrim, Buen Camino, Gronze, etc?) There is a wealth of info in those apps.

You can cross off the fear of not making it to Santiago in time for your flight to Barcelona - if you see you are running behind you can always take a bus or other transport to Santiago (it might mean you do not "qualify" for a compostella though as one must walk at least the last 100km).

You can also cross off the fear of getting lost. You won't.

Yes, people taxi, bus, or train forward through stages.

If you have "bad knees" just take it easy. Listen to your body. If your knees say stop, then stop. Don't overdo, especially the first few days!

Lots of folks express the same types of fears when beginning the Camino but find peace quickly. I believe the feelings you have will become less powerful once you start walking the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey all,

I just arrived in Leon this afternoon to begin my solo Camino and I’m really getting into my own head. Sitting here in my albergue I’ve become excessively anxious, lonely and depressed. I’m so afraid of what’s ahead of me.
One step at a time. That is how everyone walks the Camino.
You can do it!
Approach fellow pilgrims and locals for help on anything. People are very willing to help. The worst thing to do is stew in your own thoughts. Reach out and talk to people around you. You reached out here, so you can do it. Everyone around you has had anxiety over something new, so you are definitely not alone.
About taxis: yes, feel free to call one anytime! Most people do at some point. Nothing to be ashamed about there.
Buen Camino!

Oh no! What an awful feeling, and let me tell you, I felt exactly the same way before the Camino I'm on now! Worried about hiking alone, making friends, getting injuries, finding GF food in smaller towns.

It would be naive to think you won't have occasional challenges, but for me at least, it's been far outweighed by the joy of the experience.

As soon as I started hiking people said hello and started conversions, and throughout France and Spain there are a *lot* of pilgrims who can also speak english. Certainly harder to find english-speaking locals in the smaller towns, but make friends with a bilingual speaker and you'll be fine. At the end of a single day I already felt like I had a bunch of friends, even if I only chatted to them for 10 minutes. Note: often pilgrims have the shell on their pack as well. I've also asked a bunch of people if they're hiking the Camino and they weren't 😂 honestly, I think people like talking to pilgrims and hearing first-hand what it's like, so don't be afraid to just ask! Re: getting lost - LOTS of people on the hike, so it's unlikely. However you could also download maps of the region from Google maps and/or AllTrails. I check AllTrails if I'm ever a bit uncertain and it works like a charm!

As for injuries - I hiked a single day and had such bad blisters I had to return to the starting town, buy better (bigger) shoes, and take a couple of days off. Disappointing, but it's a long hike after all! Things are bound to happen and then you deal with them. And there's no harm in leaving early if you need to for an injury or for your own peace of mind. I spoke to someone who had to leave for 2 weeks and then came straight back.

This hike is for *you*, so if you do get an injury, don't stress too much about timelines or whether you can continue - you'll be okay, just adapt and do what you need to do (whether that's seeing a doctor, taking a rest day, talking it through with people on the forum for advice). You should be proud for even making it to Leon and planning on having such an awesome adventure, and by yourself too!

Re: buses/taxis, yes, people do move between them. If you care about getting the certificate in Santiago, then you just need 100km of walking, but if it doesn't matter, then you do what you want! Do what works for you. Plus there's the Compostel'Bus which appears to be very cheap and quick. It's there for a reason!

Last edited:
Of your list - pick an easy one and figure it out.

Way finding: at this time of year, from Leon - just follow the rucksack in front.

Pretty much any bar or restaurant on that stretch of the Camino Frances and a high proportion of albergue staff will function in English. Often very good English. Believe me, they get a high proportion of non Spanish-speakers. Many menus will be in English and you’ve got time to use a translate app.

There is categorically a sink in your albergue. Don’t monopolise it but you’ve got time to wash socks and underwear.

And so on.

I’m widely regarded as clueless, and I’ve walked caminos with people who I suspected must have evaded their full-time carers; nobody died, nothing caught fire and everyone got to Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
(my final statements, bear with me. I have lots to say haha)

Re: clothing...even after 1 day, people do smell quite a bit 😂 one trick I read online is that you can hand-wash with some soap in a dry bag, if you have one. (In case there are different terms for different countries - like a plastic/waterproof bag that you can buy from most outdoor stores).

In closing - you said it yourself, you're in your head about it. You're already right there, so there's no harm in trying a single day and seeing what it's like. If you don't like it, that's okay! It would be a shame to bail right before you start, and to be honest I suspect (being a fellow overthinker and worrier myself), that you'd probably give yourself a hard time about it if you left without trying.

I totally think you can do it and that you'll surprise yourself with a great time! Just remember to breathe when you're feeling anxious, that the forum is here if you need any advice, and that the Camino is full of friends you just haven't met yet. :)

I just arrived in Leon this afternoon to begin my solo Camino
Hooray !!

You will not be alone unless you need to be.
I’m worried about getting lost
You will get lost at least once ; and then you'll discover it's no big deal.
I’m worried about making friends and having any kind of company during the walk.
Making friends and finding compañeros is never guaranteed, but if you truly need them they will come.

If what you need is instead to be alone for a time, they may only appear after that time.
How can you even tell whose a pilgrim?
Oh don't worry -- once you're out in the sticks, it will be blatantly obvious !!

Then next time you're in a town or city, you'll know the signs almost by instinct.
I’m worried about ordering at restaurants. Almost went all day today without eating because I didn’t know how to get a table or translate the menus.
Along the Francès, eatery owners and staff frequently speak English -- and if you need more help with ordering than that, there are the other pilgrims.
I’m worried about laundry because I’ve already sweated through my 2nd pair of 3 pairs of clothes I’ve packed. I have no clue how people even do it as my current albergue doesn’t have an option for neither machine or hand wash.
At least hand wash is nearly always available, but León is a bit peculiar in that respect.
I’m worried about injuries because I have a bad knee. What if I can’t go on even after a rest day? Do people ever taxi forward through stages?
Have you set yourself an absolute unchangeable deadline for a return flight ?

Top Tip : next time, don't. It just creates anxiety, counterproductive hurry, and secondary problems.
I’m worried I won’t make the timeline I need to make for my flight from Santiago to Barcelona to meet my gf for a post Camino vacation.
So talk with her !! Sort something else out with her if circumstance demand it.
I’m already thinking about quitting :/
We've ALL been there ... :cool:

¡¡ Buen Camino !!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My first camino I started in Leon, and didn't really enjoy the day I arrived in Leon ( as lovely a city as it is) - i got myself worked up and nervous.
But the next morning heading out of the city I started to meet pilgrims (Easy to see with packs on looking for arrows) . By the time I arrived in the town I was staying that night I had had many conversations. And by day 2 I had met some pilgrims that I would celebrate with in Santiago and following the arrows didn't seem too daunting (day 3 I missed a turn but a local immediately set me back).

Hey Mikeylats!
You've come all the way from the US on your own;you can do a Camino !
All your fears are in your head!
You can overcome all of them.
Everyone is apprehensive on their first walk i was bricking it.
I hand washed all my gear in the shower /sink for free never used a laundromat.
Getting to meet pilgrims is not that hard; look for people with backpacks walking towards Santiago!
Getting lost have you got an app on your phone like Wise Pilgrim or Buen Camino!
They will give you enough info, plus the arrows to follow and of course other pilgrims.
Food as Pilgrim9 said Google translate helps as would google lens .
Also if you have no Spanish at all just ask Do you speak English if all else fails point at food you can see others eating or on a picture menu.
Just try and be logical and think how can i;and you will cope honest :)
It will all fall into place and you will love it.
I start my 2nd Camino from Leon on 6/9/23 this time my only fear is Ryanair cancelling my flight the rest is a blast just tell yourself i can do`it and you will!!!

Don't let your fears stop your heart from moving
Have a wonderful walk
Buen Camino
Woody

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Blimey Mikeylats !

It sounds like you've been reading my diary from my first night in Pamplona! Troubles hemmed me in from every side. Or so I thought.
My summary when I wrote it up several months later after having walked to Santiago.
"Sometimes I get nervous / When I see an open door / Close your eyes, clear your heart / Cut the cord"

I'll send you a link, have a read, It should either help you to sleep or put you to sleep

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Start out with one foot in front of the other and work from there.

So everyone else has covered most things. The key to camino is to not overthink it. Get a routine going and follow it.

So you arrive in your next albergue at whatever time (you choose how long you walk), so what i normally do is prep my bed, then do my laundry (and have a beer while I do it), then get it hung out. After that I get a shower and sort out food. Then drink more beer, chat to anyone who wants to, drink more beer, drink loads of water, go to bed. Get up at 6am, drink a litre of water, shower, prep/pack my bag, fill up water bottles and get on the road. Rinse, repeat. Once you get into a routine, it's really easy.

Talk to as many people as you want to, or don't. Oh and find an activity to do while walking, something interesting like go and look around churches, or if you see a variante route, do it. Make life interesting. But beyond everything else, enjoy yourself. It's fun.

Sorry to hear about these thoughts that are worrying you! I hope you can get some food and water into you, and a few hours of sleep, because jet lag and a strange environment can play havoc with your mood. You might find that the jet lag and interrupted sleep persist for a few days, so be patient with yourself.

Once you get out on the path tomorrow, I'm confident that things will look much better. Do you have a guidebook or an app on your phone?

Good luck and buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I feel soooo in over my head and so anxious and depressed that not eating all day didn’t even matter to me cause I never built up an appetite. Please talk me off this ledge because day 1 is tomorrow for this guy and I’m already thinking about quitting :/
As I write this early morning in Oz, you are hopefully getting a good night´s sleep. Things always look better in the morning. You´ll have noticed people with backpacks and walking poles click-clacking through town, you might have followed them into a café or onto the very well way marked camino and probably got into conversation about where they are from, how long they have been on the camino. Locals may have smiled and wished you ´buen camino´. You will at least have found your way out of the front door. This is how your camino begins. And whenever you feel down, try reading this poem:
Come to the Edge

“Come to the edge," he said.
"We can't, we're afraid!" they answered.
"Come to the edge," he said.
"We can't, we will fall!" they answered.
"Come to the edge," he said.
And so they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.”

Abridged.

Christopher Logue.

And of course, there are all these forum members urging you on as they sit at their computers wishing they were with you. Buen camino, friend.

The walk from Astorga to Ponferrada is one of the best stages after Leon. Also the bridge at Hospital de Orbigo is pretty sweet. When you get to Rabanal, try and stay at the CSJ albergue (opposite the church), they are friendly and the people that stay there tend to be friendly. Just go unwind and enjoy.

Of your list - pick an easy one and figure it out.

Way finding: at this time of year, from Leon - just follow the rucksack in front.

Pretty much any bar or restaurant on that stretch of the Camino Frances and a high proportion of albergue staff will function in English. Often very good English. Believe me, they get a high proportion of non Spanish-speakers. Many menus will be in English and you’ve got time to use a translate app.

There is categorically a sink in your albergue. Don’t monopolise it but you’ve got time to wash socks and underwear.

And so on.

I’m widely regarded as clueless, and I’ve walked caminos with people who I suspected must have evaded their full-time carers; nobody died, nothing caught fire and everyone got to Santiago.
Rule #2. Never follow another peregrino. They might not know where they're going either.

BREATHE

Everyone ahead of you or passing you on the trail wearing a backpack is a pilgrim. Say hello or Buen Camino to everyone you pass along the way. Some of those people will be willing to strike up a conversation.

Google translate menus. It gets easier every day.

My biggest fears were getting lost and not seeing anyone on the trail in front of me (I am notoriously bad at following a map), and of course the biggest fear of not being able to do it.

You can.

Wake up, grab your pack and go. One step at a time, one day at a time. It's all doable. Breathe. We're all here with you.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
The larger cities that we tend to start in are exceptions. It’s harder to make out who is a fellow pilgrim (as opposed to a backpacker/ traveller), the restaurants and bars are geared for locals, can be intimidatingly bustling, and many may struggle with English, people are going about their daily business and are not looking to chat or make friends, shops for specific pilgrim amenities are not obvious, way markers are harder to find, and the way out of Leon is not the best Camino introduction.

But rest assured that this all changes once you leave the cities behind and get out on the Way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey there!

First, I'm sorry you are feeling anxious. Getting stuck in your head sucks. But the good news is with a little bit of determination and perseverance, you won't stay there for long. I feel quite confident if you can board a plane to Spain and make it to your albergue, then you can pretty much conquer the rest of this stuff. Figuring it out is part of the fun, too (IMO). I can pretty much assure you, there will always be someone who will be ahead of you walking or behind you so you will never feel truly lost or alone. Plus the locals are very kind and will let you know if you are heading the wrong way and will point you in the right direction.

My 2 cents on how to abate some of your other feelings:

1) Download "google translate" and then you can show the wait staff what you wish to order and/or translate a menu The waitstaff are very accustomed to pilgrims from all over the world coming to order food so you don't have to fret and feel like you are standing out.

2) Buy a granola bar, banana or something every night at a store so you will have it in the morning. Not all stores/restaurants are open in the morning though many likely are...

3) Plenty of people will pass you while you are walking and some will want to chat and walk along side of you. It just happens naturally. And you can do the same with others. It's a very loving community IMO. And don't be shy about taking any open seat while dining. That's how you will meet the most amazing people and have the best conversations. Everyone does it. (I prefer to walk alone and went to most meals by myself and I still I met a ton of people and I had a blast!)

4) Strange about not having a place to wash your clothes... I don't think that will happen very often.

5) Getting injured or running behind- then go to plan B (assuming you are not hospitalized). Simply take a train or bus to Santiago. Lots of people do it (including me when I had to end my 1st Camino due to an injury.).

I think walking The Camino will be an amazing experience for you! Just walk and let the days unfold however they unfold. Truly it's all part of The Camino experience and journey.

Sending love and lots of "You got this!"

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi @Mikeylats - hopefully by now you're well on your way. I've no further words of wisdom beyond those previously offered, but perhaps in a few days you might give us all a bit of an update to let us know how you're going.

Buen Camino ...
I was always a loner and loved it from day 2 back when I was starting my first Camino 2003 when I was a young 65 ! I had neither the health or the wealth to do things in a oner so did things in chunks over the next 20 years! For what its worth I now have 3 Compostelas framed and nailed to the walls :) You have had a ton of advice already so you should be drowning in it :) Ignore the whole damn lot of it ! Jump ! You WILL fly and nothing is going to beat that first wonderful step YOU took :) Buen Camino my friend, the footsteps of thousands have made a Way for You !

Samarkand

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Mikeylats, you've picked a hot, muggy day to begin your Camino. It's cooking out there today!
I'm sure you'll feel more comfortable very soon, if not already, once the pre Camino nerves have gone down a bit. If you're walking the main route and end up in San Martin today and still feel uncertainties, drop me a reply and I'll treat you to a beer.

Hi Mikey
I just saw this thread, so hopefully still time to add a few 'useful' thoughts...
1. Try and take the time pressure off yourself. Start walking out of Leon when you feel you are ready. Take each hour and day on its own merits and don't feel that you have to walk all the way to Santiago - dial down the ambition if it's stressing you - you will still have an amazing time just walking along the route and learning about yourself as you go. You will get stronger.
2. English is the accepted language of the pilgrim on the camino Frances. Locals, hospitaleros, shopkeepers etc are used to dealing with a lot of pilgrims who speak no Spanish at all and that's OK. Just be polite and try and be considerate and you'll being doing better than many others - and that alone will be appreciated. If you can, preface what you say in English by saying 'Lo siento, no hablo español' as a courtesy.
3. Presumably you've got a smartphone? Download the Mapy.cz app. Select the outdoor map option. Zoom into Leon and you will see the camino route there. The app works on GPS so you don't use up data and you can see exactly where you are at any time in relation to the route. I found it 100% accurate in Spain. With this, you no longer need to worry about losing the yellow arrows again.
If you want, you can talk to us about your route planning - a lot of people here refer to Gronze as it's quite a simple tool for working out what accommodation options lie ahead at different distances. You might want to start with a couple of short days to see how your knee holds up - something like 11k to Oncina and then a further 10 to Mazarife the following day. If you want to reserve in advance at Oncina and check they have a communal meal, then try ringing - and see what happens.. the language police aren't going to come round and arrest you. But more importantly, people working on the camino want to help you.
Cities like Leon are a bit harder to acclimatise to - but on the flipside, if you are getting very hungry you can always go to Burger King - and order on a screen!
EDIT Gronze is in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome bowser it will translate to English

Last edited:
I haven’t read all of the other responses, but the ones I have read present good strategies to deal with specific issues or feelings you are struggling with.

My tesponse is give yourself permission to NOT walk the camino! It is OK to do something else. You intend to meet your girlfriend in Barcelona. Perhaps you can meet her earlier somewhere else?

You are in control! i f you still decide to walk…
Consider resting for a couple of days and taking a bus to Astorga. It is a more inviting place to begin. The city is small and takes you quickly onto a very manageable trail and very inviting scenery.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear, I wanted to share a lesson I learned when I was just 17. Privileged North American girl just arriving in Bolivia as an exchange student… there were no washing machines anywhere nearby! Among the many valuable lessons I was taught, hand-washing clothes was up there too. You can do it in a shower or bathtub, outdoor sink, bucket, or bathroom sink. First, turn the clothes so the dirtiest side is out. Then get the item completely wet. I leave everything submerged except whatever I’m working on. Take a bar of soap and scrub it on the dirty parts until you see suds. Work the suds down to the rest of the garment. Put it back into the water and do the next item. When you’re all done with all the clothes, drain the water and rinse out each item. Sometimes they get another submerging. Then wring out each item by twisting and rolling, and hang up to dry. Wrinkles not a problem if you hang clothes upside down (by the pant legs and hems of shirts). There are probably YouTube videos of this lol.

I hope you have a better day today! Buen Camino! 💕

Hey all,

I’m worried about getting lost and whenever I don’t see a Camino trail arrow for a while that I’ll have been possibly wandering the wrong way for who knows how long.

I’m worried about making friends and having any kind of company during the walk. I’m a pretty social person but for some reason the culture and language difference here is throwing me off. How can you even tell whose a pilgrim? My credential isn’t out and displayed or anything so except for in rural areas idk how to even tell.

I’m worried about eating and drinking in general and if there will be plentiful spots to grab both every day.

Thank you
Just get out on the Camino and everything will be fine, You will meet other Pilgrims, they are easy to spot lol Enjoy the experience! Buen Camino

Hey there!

First, I'm sorry you are feeling anxious. Getting stuck in your head sucks. But the good news is with a little bit of determination and perseverance, you won't stay there for long. I feel quite confident if you can board a plane to Spain and make it to your albergue, then you can pretty much conquer the rest of this stuff. Figuring it out is part of the fun, too (IMO). I can pretty much assure you, there will always be someone who will be ahead of you walking or behind you so you will never feel truly lost or alone. Plus the locals are very kind and will let you know if you are heading the wrong way and will point you in the right direction.

My 2 cents on how to abate some of your other feelings:

1) Download "google translate" and then you can show the wait staff what you wish to order and/or translate a menu The waitstaff are very accustomed to pilgrims from all over the world coming to order food so you don't have to fret and feel like you are standing out.

2) Buy a granola bar, banana or something every night at a store so you will have it in the morning. Not all stores/restaurants are open in the morning though many likely are...

3) Plenty of people will pass you while you are walking and some will want to chat and walk along side of you. It just happens naturally. And you can do the same with others. It's a very loving community IMO. And don't be shy about taking any open seat while dining. That's how you will meet the most amazing people and have the best conversations. Everyone does it. (I prefer to walk alone and went to most meals by myself and I still I met a ton of people and I had a blast!)

4) Strange about not having a place to wash your clothes... I don't think that will happen very often.

5) Getting injured or running behind- then go to plan B (assuming you are not hospitalized). Simply take a train or bus to Santiago. Lots of people do it (including me when I had to end my 1st Camino due to an injury.).

I think walking The Camino will be an amazing experience for you! Just walk and let the days unfold however they unfold. Truly it's all part of The Camino experience and journey.

Sending love and lots of "You got this!"

Buen Camino!

Hey there thanks for the reply! I think part of my issue is I feel kind of trapped here. Like there’s no escape in case I need to get out. Almost like claustrophobia. In #5 you mention taking a train or bus if need be. Is that feasible regardless of where I am in my pilgrimage? Any place I can look up bud and train schedules?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey there thanks for the reply! I think part of my issue is I feel kind of trapped here. Like there’s no escape in case I need to get out. Almost like claustrophobia. In #5 you mention taking a train or bus if need be. Is that feasible regardless of where I am in my pilgrimage? Any place I can look up bud and train schedules?

This is a good tool.

Or you can ask us here for more information if needed.

Good luck Mikeylats.

I hope you're feeling less overwhelmed than when you posted yesterday evening.

As others have said, look at one little challenge at a time, one step at a time. (As the joke goes, how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time).

I have not walked a camino yet, but I've done quite a lot of solo motorcycle touring in Europe. I used to dismiss as hippie nonsense the idea that "the road will provide" but I've had enough serendipitous experiences and encounters when travelling alone (from friendly Italian truckers giving directions and tips on motorway biking etiquette, to a biscuit factory with a gift shop and spotles toilets, when I was really in need of the latter), to think that there's some truth to it. (The religious folks on here might regard it as God providing). Travel with an open heart and mind.

Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation - if others turn out to be fellow pilgrims, you'll have something in common to start with. If you stay in albergues, I expect this is more likely, and if there's a communal meal that will be an opportunity to compare notes. On hikes in the UK and even a short one in Japan earlier this year, I've fallen into conversation with someone ambling along at a similar pace for a while.

Take each day as it comes. If you're having a bad day, tell yourself this too shall pass.

Remember, this is your camino. If the right thing for you is to take a few days off walking and catch a bus/taxi/train and stay in one town for a while do it.

Buen camino!

This is a good tool.

Or you can ask us here for more information if needed.
In addition, alsa.com is one of the main bus companies leaving Leon. It travels to Astorga and then on to Ponferrada. Many albergues have bus schedules available or posted.

Where are you currently staying?
If you are feeling overwhelmed in Leon, my suggestion Is to get a cab to the bus station if you aren’t close to it. Take a bus to Astorga stay there overnight. During the day, get your bearings. and find the trail to the end of town. Return to your accommodations. Then the next morning start walking. Plan where you will stop that day/ overnight. It doesn’t have to be a whole section, just start.

However, I would also like to you to consider and even encourage you to NOT walk at this time. If you are not eating and sleeping properly and still anxious, why not listen to your body feedback and do something that you might feel more comfortable with or fun!! Plenty of people have come and found that the Camino wasn’t for them.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi again, I hope today was a better day for you! You won't be trapped. Spain has a lot of resources/modes of transportation to get you anywhere you need to go. Like the others shared above, www.rome2rio.com is a great resource. I used it myself and I also just asked others for help. It was fairly simple. In my situation, the albergue I stayed at directed me to a pharmacy /clinic and also showed me where the bus station was. I took a bus and then train to Santiago. Everything worked out fine and there were others on the bus/train who also ended their journeys early for various reasons or simply wanted to jump ahead a town or two to make it to Santiago faster. This is your journey. You can stay on The Camino as long or as little as you like. If you find it is simply not your thing, then go to plan B. There are no judgments. As an aside, when I went Santiago, a woman in the bunk above me, ended her journey very early on and also made her way to Santiago. She stayed in the same albergue for several weeks while she waited for her plane out of town.

I wish you so much peace and happiness in whatever you do. Everyone is here for you. :)

Buen Camino!

In terms of feeling trapped, others have posted Rome 2 Rio. Based on my recent experience, it is a good start, but there are even more options. So if Rome 2 Rio shows two buses each day from the village you are in to the nearest transit hub, and you follow the link on the Rome 2 Rio site to the bus company website, you may find even more. That happened to me when I wanted to get from the little village of Muxía to Santiago de Compostela. Rome 2 Rio showed two buses, one much earlier than I wanted and one much later. But when I followed the link to the bus company site I found one that was just right. :)

And, of course, there are always taxis. But if you can walk to the nearest village you will find there is quite a robust transit system in Spain. It is really possible to leave the Camino at any point.

If you are still in Leon, there are a ton of options from there. And chances are if you aren't, you aren't too far from Leon.

Generally, though, I'd advise on giving it until the next morning before making a decision like that. You can, but there is no hurry. Things often look better in the morning. And often knowing that you can is enough so that you don't need to.

Hi Mikeylats, if you have the free Wise Pilgrim app, you can see which towns have bus or train service. Then use rome2rio, alsa, or, for trains, renfe to get detailed schedules. Buses and trains are comfortable and fast. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey all,

Thank you
I think every emotion that you have described, we all have had those same feelings of doubt , stress and anxiety. I know I did. Getting lost , I missed the 3 foot yellow painted arrows in Burqette. ( walked right over them)!My friends ( yes you will make friends) told me at the end, that if left alone I would probably end up in Russia.
As I get ready to walk my second CF, I have vowed to just let go and trust.
Please trust yourself, you got this!
Chuck

You know the old saying that every journey begins with a single step? That's not quite accurate. Every accomplishment begins with the decision to try. So go out there and try. For one day. Ask the first few people you see with a pack on their back "Are you as scared sh&$less as I am?" My guess is that by the end of the day you'll have met some people, had some laughs, and have stories to tell.

Hey all,

Thank you
In the end everything will be fine. I wish you much wisdom, strength and beauty.

€46,-
One other possibility if you want to ease into the walking. Bus back to Sahagun and walk back to Leon. 3-4 days, pretty easy walking. After that, maybe bus to Astorga and do the stages from Astorga to Ponferrada and see how you feel. If you want an alternative to the hustle and bustle at Sarria, head to Ourense (by bus or walk the Invierno from Ponferrada to Lalin or Monforte and bus down from there).

Have a couple of days in Ourense and sit in the hot springs and chill out, then head up to Santiago at whatever pace you want. Oseira monastery is worth a look and you can stay there. You can dive into Lalin if you want something more busy the day after or stick to the route. I prefer Ourense to Santiago over Sarria to Santiago, it's just much more pleasant.

Hey all,

Thank you

Hey all,

Thank you for all the support! Have made it from Leon to Astorga the past 2 days. The walks have been hard but physical pain isn’t something I harp on too much. While the heaviness in my chest seems to slowly be dissipating I can’t say I feel normal yet. I’ve barely eaten a full meal since my last post which is a tell-tale side effect of anxiety for me. I feel as if it’s the new environment, culture, routine and strenuous activity that’s been throwing me off. I see all these things I love around me like friendly social people, physical activity, etc but I can’t seem to really embrace it because of this heaviness. I hope over the next ~11 days to Santiago I won’t be dealing with this anymore but 2 days in I can only say it’s gotten better but not gone. Are people surprised I’m still feeling like this after 2 days of hiking because these waves are really weighing me down?

Buen Camino

Hey all,

Thank you for all the support! Have made it from Leon to Astorga the past 2 days. The walks have been hard but physical pain isn’t something I harp on too much. While the heaviness in my chest seems to slowly be dissipating I can’t say I feel normal yet. I’ve barely eaten a full meal since my last post which is a tell-tale side effect of anxiety for me. I feel as if it’s the new environment, culture, routine and strenuous activity that’s been throwing me off. I see all these things I love around me like friendly social people, physical activity, etc but I can’t seem to really embrace it because of this heaviness. I hope over the next ~11 days to Santiago I won’t be dealing with this anymore but 2 days in I can only say it’s gotten better but not gone. Are people surprised I’m still feeling like this after 2 days of hiking because these waves are really weighing me down?

Buen Camino

The camino is often touted as a journey of love, joy, peace and harmony, and fun, fun, fun.

But, that’s not always the case.

Sometimes it brings inner turmoil, tears, and terror of the unknown.

Glad you are feeling better and striving onwards.

Allow all these feelings to guide you wherever the way wishes you to go.

Buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are people surprised I’m still feeling like this after 2 days of hiking because these waves are really weighing me down?
Hell no. I'm not in your shoes, let alone your head, and I don't envy you.
But it will get better.
And you've already completed 2 days - that alone is an accomplishment.
Buen Camino compadre

you might actually want to consider looking further than your own thread here - you are very, very far from alone in this.
Good point! I have tagged this thread (under the title at the top) with "mental challenge". If you click on that tag, you will get a number of threads that address various types of mental challenges and how people manage them.

€46,-
I’ve barely eaten a full meal since my last post
Can you try to get some nutrition, at least through frequent healthy snacks, even if a full meal seems too much?
Are people surprised I’m still feeling like this
Not really. Jet lag, lack of sleep, and poor nutrition can affect mood for days.

Hey all,

Buen Camino
Hey Mikeylats,

I started my Camino Frances on July 23- I’m currently in Castrojeriz which is about 8 stages behind you- but while reading your post it reminded me of the first week or two of my journey. I flew to Paris and like you, did not eat anything because of the anxiety. I saw the happy people sitting outside drinking coffee and eating delicious food but I felt too nervous to partake in it. I was so jet lagged I basically did nothing for the first few days but walk around tired and slightly stressed. The worst part is the jet lag- once you are adjusted to the time zone it gets a lot better.

However, I had the luxury of not having to walk all day while jet lagged because I was in Paris so don’t worry if you still feel bad for a little while longer.

I remember the first time I ordered food in Spain, the morning of the second day on the Camino. I continually spoke to the guy in English who became irritated because he didn’t know English. I felt like a horrible American tourist and eventually sat down with my coffee feeling like crying, and searched ‘being miserable on Camino de Santiago’ and came across this forum. There I learned that it doesn’t have to be all sunshine and rainbows, and a lot of growth can come from being frustrated with yourself. I started to feel better the third or fourth day, once I learned how to order food in Spanish ( just say ‘quiero’ and add whatever it is you want to eat onto it. If you don’t know what it is just say ‘quiero esto’ and point at food. It means ‘ I want this’). Spaniards are very direct and it’s not rude to be up front with your request.

You describe a heaviness in your chest, which is exactly how I would have described that first week in Europe. I was alone, nervous and in a completely new environment which I had expected to be some nirvana but instead triggered some anxieties I wasn’t expecting to deal with.

I hope things get better for you, but also know that there are also going to be more challenges along the way, and that’s okay. You’re not alone. Hopefully you can sit down, order a Menú de peregrino (pilgrims menu) and enjoy a good, filling meal. Nobody cares if you sit alone in a corner and eat by yourself, almost everyone I’ve ordered meals from have been friendly and understanding. Once you bite the bullet and do it, you’ll never look back.

I don't have anxiety issues, but it usually takes me about a week to get acclimated to Camino life - and that's after 7 Caminos! So no, I'm not surprised that you are feeling a bit lost after only two days. And remember that most of the other pilgrims that you are seeing have been on the Camino at least a week longer than you have - in fact those who started in SJPdP have been walking for 3 weeks or so already. So you can't compare your comfort level against theirs.

Hey all,

Buen Camino
It’s getting better - not worse? Well, there’s cause for celebration.

Now - food.

I do (believe me) understand how anxiety can affect your appetite. I also understand how never in the history of psychotherapy have the words ‘pull yourself together’ ever resulted in a positive outcome; but …

You need the calories in to provide the calories out. Make this a priority for the next day or two.

Otherwise; good job. Keep going.

I see all these things I love around me like friendly social people, physical activity, etc but I can’t seem to really embrace it because of this heaviness. I hope over the next ~11 days to Santiago I won’t be dealing with this anymore but 2 days in I can only say it’s gotten better but not gone. Are people surprised I’m still feeling like this after 2 days of hiking because these waves are really weighing me down?
Hey again! I'm glad you started your journey out of Leon! I forgot starting in a larger city could likely make one feel very uncomfortable bc the pilgrims are hard to identify amongst all the locals. And simply being in a foreign county, let alone a foreign city, can make anyone feel very overwhelmed. Heck, many Americans who visit NYC get overwhelmed and they can speak the language!

My first few days on CF were really hard for me physically and I was in great shape (or so I thought). I almost ended my journey on day 2 in Zubri bc I felt ill. Then an angel found me (a nurse from the US), she brought me dinner in bed and gave me an ibuprofen (btw, Spain's OTC ibuprofen is prescription grade in the US). The next day I woke up and felt like my old self again. Not only was I feeling better, but I was literally sprinting past everyone who had passed me the day before. It was crazy! And the next few days were even more enjoyable because I started to see familiar faces and just get in the swing of it like figuring out when to stop and change my socks, making sure I had TP for bathrooms, having food in my pack, washing clothes, eating menu del dia, etc. Anyway, I hope each day gets better for you, too!

We are all cheering for you!

Buen Camino!

Hey all,

Buen Camino

Hey everyone,

Well as you all predicted the experience has completely changed! I still don’t quite love staying in hot albergues with strangers in bunk beds but I’m getting use to it. Everything else is amazing! I’m now on day 4 of 13 and staying on pace to make my flight. I’ve met a group that I’ve been pushing forward with and we’ve become fast friends. The scenery is constantly improving stage to stage and some of my pictures are out of this world. Here’s a picture of my stupid happy mug with my new friends (I’m on the left).

Thank you everyone for talking me off the proverbial ledge. Your positivity and advice helped immensely. As always Buen Camino!

Attachments

• 3B44F0FB-87A9-442E-B15B-318BF9A4B8E4.jpeg
    3B44F0FB-87A9-442E-B15B-318BF9A4B8E4.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 42
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey everyone,

Well as you all predicted the experience has completely changed! I still don’t quite love staying in hot albergues with strangers in bunk beds but I’m getting use to it. Everything else is amazing! I’m now on day 4 of 13 and staying on pace to make my flight. I’ve met a group that I’ve been pushing forward with and we’ve become fast friends. The scenery is constantly improving stage to stage and some of my pictures are out of this world. Here’s a picture of my stupid happy mug with my new friends (I’m on the left).

Thank you everyone for talking me off the proverbial ledge. Your positivity and advice helped immensely. As always Buen Camino!
I am so happy for you!!
Chuck

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey there! So happy for you and thanks for keeping all of us posted! Love your mug and your friends! You are an inspiration to me!

Buen Camino!

Oh no! What an awful feeling, and let me tell you, I felt exactly the same way before the Camino I'm on now! Worried about hiking alone, making friends, getting injuries, finding GF food in smaller towns.

It would be naive to think you won't have occasional challenges, but for me at least, it's been far outweighed by the joy of the experience.

As soon as I started hiking people said hello and started conversions, and throughout France and Spain there are a *lot* of pilgrims who can also speak english. Certainly harder to find english-speaking locals in the smaller towns, but make friends with a bilingual speaker and you'll be fine. At the end of a single day I already felt like I had a bunch of friends, even if I only chatted to them for 10 minutes. Note: often pilgrims have the shell on their pack as well. I've also asked a bunch of people if they're hiking the Camino and they weren't 😂 honestly, I think people like talking to pilgrims and hearing first-hand what it's like, so don't be afraid to just ask! Re: getting lost - LOTS of people on the hike, so it's unlikely. However you could also download maps of the region from Google maps and/or AllTrails. I check AllTrails if I'm ever a bit uncertain and it works like a charm!

As for injuries - I hiked a single day and had such bad blisters I had to return to the starting town, buy better (bigger) shoes, and take a couple of days off. Disappointing, but it's a long hike after all! Things are bound to happen and then you deal with them. And there's no harm in leaving early if you need to for an injury or for your own peace of mind. I spoke to someone who had to leave for 2 weeks and then came straight back.

This hike is for *you*, so if you do get an injury, don't stress too much about timelines or whether you can continue - you'll be okay, just adapt and do what you need to do (whether that's seeing a doctor, taking a rest day, talking it through with people on the forum for advice). You should be proud for even making it to Leon and planning on having such an awesome adventure, and by yourself too!

Re: buses/taxis, yes, people do move between them. If you care about getting the certificate in Santiago, then you just need 100km of walking, but if it doesn't matter, then you do what you want! Do what works for you. Plus there's the Compostel'Bus which appears to be very cheap and quick. It's there for a reason!
Always buy bigger shoes.

Well as you all predicted the experience has completely changed!

Hey, stranger!
What a wonderful transformation! Good to hear that you started to enjoy yourself. Obviously there lies more strength and resilience in you than you thought!

Here is perhaps useful advice about understanding anything written in a foreign language:
Google Translate has a function where you hold your mobile phone over the text you want to translate: Google Lens.
Search "google translate" in your phone's Chrome browser and chose the language you want to translate: Spanish > English
There is a symbol on the right side within the ''enter text''-field that looks like a square with a dot in the centre.
Tap it, and it activates your phone's camera.
Now simply point your phone over the Spanish text.
The English translation appears. It's like magic!
There also is a Google Lens app.

Be proud of yourself and enjoy your adventure!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just to add a tiny bit more on 'getting lost'...
1) in nearly every small village, the old abuelas in the windows will yell, point, and set you back on course
2) if you feel that you're alone on a path for a long stretch in the woods, duck into the trees to pee...poof! instantly there will be 100 pilgrims walking by

truth!
Glad to hear you are finding your stride...that courage and adventure was there all along ( remember this, it's your Camino lesson learned for life )

Sending you hugs (((Sophie )))

Wait. Did they say they couldn't find a place to do laundry? I missed that one. Google maps "laundromat". Big cities are the best for that! Usually 8-10 Euros total for wash and dry. Usually like a 5-10 minute walk. They mostly have change machines. Some of the cooler ones these days allow you to pay with credit cards using the terminal on the wall...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey all,

Thank you
Mickeylats!
I hear you.
Stop, calm, breathe deeply and get moving.
You've got this.
You really do. Worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere.

You are ready for this.

Go in peace!

Hey, stranger!
What a wonderful transformation! Good to hear that you started to enjoy yourself. Obviously there lies more strength and resilience in you than you thought!

Here is perhaps useful advice about understanding anything written in a foreign language:
Google Translate has a function where you hold your mobile phone over the text you want to translate: Google Lens.
Search "google translate" in your phone's Chrome browser and chose the language you want to translate: Spanish > English
There is a symbol on the right side within the ''enter text''-field that looks like a square with a dot in the centre.
Tap it, and it activates your phone's camera.
Now simply point your phone over the Spanish text.
The English translation appears. It's like magic!
There also is a Google Lens app.

Be proud of yourself and enjoy your adventure!
And to add to this Google Translate will allow you to download language packages. If you download the Spanish package it will translate Spanish when you don't have a data connection.

I wasn't asking for advice in my post here.
I don't think NYSE was giving you advice. I think they were reinforcing what you said when you talked about having an injury and needing to buy bugger shoes. Obviously, at this point after having bought bigger shoes you don't need advice to buy bigger shoes. Rather, they were piggybacking on your report to echo what you were saying about the need for bigger shoes.

(Personally, I've never needed bigger shoes but I recignuze some do.)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back