• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lunch on the road ideas

colinPeter

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-SDC (2009) Somport-Jaca, Burgos-SDC, Cee-Muxia (2012) Le Puy - Aumont-Aubrac (2014) SJPP-SDC (Oct 2015)
Very interested in the thoughts of those who've walked the Le Puy route, on how they managed their on the road food, throughout the day.
My understanding is that the GR65 is quite different from the "Camino Frances", where bocadillos and tortillas abound (not to mention café con lechie), and most places seem to have a supermercado to get bread & cheese ect.
Any advice or tips on the options on the Le Puy route?
Colin
upload_2014-3-28_10-9-52.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It really wasn't a problem. I kept a few power bars in my pack and never had to rely on them. Most folks just buy enough for lunch as they set out in the morning. And a little extra too.

Just use your Miam Miam Dodo. Buy cheese and sausage when you can and bread every morning, extra on Sunday. Just think a bit more than one day at a time.

A decent plastic container proved useful for carrying some items. I bought a knife en route.

Depending on your stages, you may find yourself sitting down to an omelette or a three-course meal someplace like Conques or Montréal du Gers, maybe pause for serious pastry in Condom or Lectoure. There are more than enough options.

It all just seemed to work. And be prepared to share you picnic.

One more item. Time and again I was not allowed to pay for my coffee or beer by French hikers. They'd raise their hands to say stop. Vous êtes en France! All I could do to return the favor was leave extra food in the gîte for whoever came by next. And buy a round of bread or such for a Canadian, German or Norwegian.

Bill

Hi Bill,
Yes, we usually get by with bread, cheese & sausage, from what I had read I thought even that might be a bit harder to arrange on the Le Puy route.
So, looks like we might not starve after all.
Thanks
Colin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Finding shops and bakeries open, early in the morning and late in the afternoon when you are in the towns, can be a dicey proposition. Finding them on, or near, the marked GR65 route adds more uncertainty yet. Factor in the known - and unknown - closing days; and lunch becomes a real gamble. So carry at least one if not two days' worth with you. I favored tinned fish (the tuna and sardines were terrific) and carrots (they travel better than apples). You can always get bread - from the breakfast table if nothing else. Shelled walnuts and dried apricots are another favorite of mine. Your gite host is the bes resource - check local closing days and nearby resources when you call ahead for reservations.

I always made sure that I had lunch in my pack for the next day on the LePuy.
I would get bread, cheese, fruit etc. the night before.
I always scouted for a bakery the afternoon before to see if it would be open in the morning.
Nothing more exciting than to learn that it would open early in the morning.
Not always easy to determine that with no French....but always possible. ;)

We had "Demi-pension" whoever possible so dinner and breakfast was usually covered - the only times we found this option not available was in larger towns with plenty of options. Lunch was never a problem due to my total inability to walk past a patisserie or charcuterie, and my husband's belief that everyone needs a second breakfast.
If you are relying on supermarkets

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Whoops! Cutoff In my prime. Shops are closed on Sundays AND Mondays, so if you have not ordered demi-pension, stock up on Saturday.

Thanks to everyone for the advice :)

And here is the "when in France" pattern that I observed:
when you carry your food to eat on the route, stop at 12:30,
but stop only where you can enjoy your meal with a beautiful vista view. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back