• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest Days on the Podiensis

Cynthia Gwynn

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
I plan to walk the Podiensis and wonder if anyone has suggestions as to where I might spend a couple rest days enroute.
Thank you, Cynthia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It really depends on what you're looking for. If your idea of a rest day is dashing around visiting the many interesting sites such as you might encounter in a Pamplona or a Burgos, you might be disappointed, since the biggest city is Cahors, with only around 20,000 people. Conques, for example, is a cute place, about 10 days in, where many people stop, and the Abbey is wonderful, but the whole town is around 500 meters long, and after exploring the Abbey, there's not much to do other than kick back and relax. Ditto with the other larger towns: Figeac, Cahors, Moissac, etc., along with many smaller places which are wonderful, such as Auvillar. All of these towns will have interesting things to see -- churches, small museums -- but after seeing them, you're mostly going to be hanging out. Resting. Which is fine, too, of course. That's the beauty of the Podiensis. It's serene all the way. But big action there ain't. I would pick through Miam Miam Dodo, or Dave Whitson's new guide in English for ideas, and figure out what interests you. A stay in a pleasant chambre d'hote in the middle of nowhere could also make for a great rest day. With the emphasis on rest.

(Like others who have commented below, I'm also a proponent of taking an extra day when you find a place that you like -- and letting the Camino come to you, as it were -- but I understand this can be difficult if you've got your itinerary programmed out).

My wife and I took only one full rest day, and that was in Figeac, from which we took a local train to explore the wonderful medieval hilltop town of Rocamadour. It wasn't actually very restful, but we enjoyed Rocamdaour.

I expect @Pelerina might chime in. She's living in Lectoure, and always has good specific suggestions.

Last edited:
Have you considered taking a rest day when you need to rest and not planning them ahead? If you carry your pack then you can stop when you want where you want.

My idea of perfection would be extra days at Conques which is very special place and worth more than a mad dash in/out. Do read what fellow forum member Lovingkindness and I have written in this earlier thread re the glories of Conques.

Wherever/however you go Bon chemin..

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree with both @andycohn and @mspath It's great to be able to take the rest days when you feel like it - if that's possible.

I will also put in a plug in for my 'home for now' - Lectoure. It's a beautiful hilltop town where a stroll along the ramparts will give you fabulous views of le Gers and, on a clear day, the Pyrenees that lie ahead for you as you make your way to Spain. Whatever time of year, there are always a few cafes, restaurants and boulangeries open - it's not as sleepy as some other small towns. Also, there is a thermal spa - with sauna, hammam, and the opportunity for a pedicure, massage or other treatment if that is appealing.

It's fun to be in a French town or village on Market Day. It's easy to find out online when a particular town has its market day. They usually run from about 7.30 to midday. You can factor that in to your thinking. The Lectoure market is Friday morning. I think Cahors is Saturday ....

On the way from Le Puy, you'll mostly walk through small towns and tiny villages, so often there won't be much to see in a classic sightseeing way, and more opportunity to truly rest.

Personally, I'd always advice to rest when you feel like it. Any place with a nice garden and/or a calm atmosphere is always a good choice, in my opinion. Most places on this route are really nice, so it is difficult to choose a bad spot.

I see that someone else has recommended Conques. This shows how different needs can be. While Conques is stunningly beautiful, I never would have wanted to stay a second day, as it felt more like an open air museum, and less like a living village to me. No shop to buy reasonably priced food, only touristic restaurants, village completely dead once the day tourists had vanished (almost nobody seems to live there anymore, it's all cafés, hotels, gift shops...), not even a café or bar to sit down and drink a beer later in the evening (many pilgrims walked around looking for an open place after the cathedral tour, there were many sad faces!).

In my opinion it makes most sense to stay at a place you personally enjoy for a second night. You'll know where that is once you're there :)

Bon chemin!

Last edited:
The thing about taking a 'rest day' on the Podiensis is that you won't be resting much; you'll still be on your feet walking around, just without your pack. I've enjoyed extra time in Conques, Cahors, and Moissac.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,

Among other ones, Figeac (Musée des écritures), Moissac (abbaye), Navarrenx. I did and enjoyed.

All your comments are very helpful. I understand that on the Podiensis it is expected that you make reservations a few days ahead at the Gites so I am planning on doing that. If that is the case, it would seem more difficult to decide to stay over at the last minute in a place I am enjoying. Is that not the case? I'm at the point where I'm figuring out how many days to allow for the journey and there are some days in the Cicerone guide that have more mileage than I will probably want to do so I thought it would be helpful to know if there were known places recommended for a stay over (such as mentioned by responder, Burgos, Pamplona etc.) It sounds like on the Podiensis there are not such places that lend to stayover which is a benefit as you can be more free to go with the flow. I truly appreciate your responses! Cynthia

It sounds like on the Podiensis there are not such places that lend to stayover
Hi Cynthia. That’s not the conclusion I would draw. Some of the places mentioned - Figeac, Cahors, Moissac, Lectoure, Navarrenx - and others - would be delightful depending on what interests you.

If you are only calling a day or two ahead, then I think it’s perfectly manageable if you decide you do want a rest day.

If you find yourself somewhere and decide you’d like to stay another night, most gite owners will be very helpful in ringing ahead to defer your next booking - subject to availability.

Another option is to have a few short days - finishing earlier or starting later than usual 😎

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another vote for Figeac - our only full rest day. Although had planned on a day trip to Rocamadour we ended up just exploring the markets and town, forward planning, chores etc. Instead of further rest days we did several short days to spend the afternoon in town - Conques (stayed in Senergues the night before so only 10k to Conques) Lectoure (11k from Castet Arroy) - bought the pilgrim package (entrance, bathing costume, cap) to the thermal spa and Navarrenx (13k from sauvelade).

If you want to do some sight seeing on your rest day (and not just rest), then I'd suggest Figeac. A short bus ride will take you to Rocamadour which is a very cool place. Also Figeac itself has all the services you need like laundry, restaurants, etc.. Enjoy!
Bill, do you have a website for this bus? i can only find a bus that runs on weekends in September. Please let me know as we are on Chemin and needing to get to Rocamadour on a Monday.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And this for the bus

look under the Lot region, the bus 876 timetable between Figeac and Rocamadour.

This timetable is until 30 September.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Train, plus a walk/taxi, looks like a good option.

I see on Monday there’s a train at 7.23am and another at 9.55 and the journey is 33 mins 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Train, plus a walk, looks like a good option.

I see on Monday there’s a train at 7.23am and another at 9.55 and the journey is 33 mins 😎
I have taken the train from Figeac to Rocamadour when I walked in June a few years ago and didn't mind that rather short walk up to the entrance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I also made Figeac my only full rest day, although I had a few shorter days here and there. If a pilgrim is booking gîtes 1-2 days in advance (versus 2 weeks) and doing a good job listening to one's body, this should be fairly easy to do.

Note that Figeac has one very nice laundromat (here), and one evil one that ate more than 10 euros of my coins!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back