• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prescriptions on the Via Podiensis

WayWalker

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016
What is the protocol for having a prescription refilled on the Le Puy route? I'm not sure my home pharmacy will give me enough to go 90 days. It's a low mg blood pressure med.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have no difficulty getting a 90 day scrip from my GP and no difficulty getting it filled at my local pharmacy. I always carry a copy of the scrip for the benefit of customs & excise or it’s European equivalent.

According to one debateable survey 80% of men over fifty are on one “heart” med or another. And it’s not as if they weigh much

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have no difficulty getting a 90 day scrip from my GP and no difficulty getting it filled at my local pharmacy. I always carry a copy of the scrip for the benefit of customs & excise or it’s European equivalent.

According to one debateable survey 80% of men over fifty are on one “heart” med or another. And it’s not as if they weigh much
As above - are you UK based? Requesting 90 days seems pretty standard. Some BP medicines are avail without prescription in Spain.

Last edited:
If you are in the US, you can ask for a "vacation override" for a medication if it is covered and paid for with your insurance. I only had to indicate how long I would be gone to get the additional dispensing.

Same here in the eastern US...just requested a travel override to get enough of my medications to last me the Camino. But I had to request the refill, have it denied by the pharmacy for being too soon, and then notify my insurance so they could apply the override.

And I *could* ask my doctor to write for 90 days at a time, particularly for my BP med.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you everyone I've got it figured out. It was an innocent question and I jumped the gun asking here.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In these cases it is always interesting to know where the country of residence is of a poster so we are able to give correct advice.
100% and few other topics too especially medical insurance! Europe and USA are a mile part in approach. Maybe bank fees!

Last edited:
What is the protocol for having a prescription refilled on the Le Puy route? I'm not sure my home pharmacy will give me enough to go 90 days. It's a low mg blood pressure med.
Probably with knowing the same of your drugs in Spain. Most drugs seem to have a ‘master name’ that often centre around the key medical name and then a different brand name by country or region. So mine had a totally different name in Spain. The pharmacy probably won’t know the brand name in your home country. I could get 1 of the 2 over the counter without prescription.

Most drugs seem to have a ‘master name’ that often centre around the key medical name and then a different brand name by country or region. So mine had a totally different name in Spain. The pharmacy probably won’t know the brand name in your home country. I could get 1 of the 2 over the counter without prescription.
Hi,

Just in case you need to refill, make sure to know the INN (International Nonproprietary Name) of your medication.
French equivalent : DCI (Dénomination Commune Internationale).

More on INN :
https://www.who.int/teams/health-product-and-policy-standards/inn/guidance-on-inn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you! I was able to get another 90 days from my pharmacy here in the US for a small fee over my insurance cost. I'm glad I won't have to worry about navigating this in France.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.