• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid April 27th to SJPP to Orisson

Missing Mike

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
Calling all Angels--Need help--just not enough brain power at this point after loss of son!!

Here is what I have/know--

Arrive April 27th at Madrid 2:10 pm on British Airways

1) My desire is to start from SJPP on April 28th if possible-- Then do what I need to do to book a night at Orisson to break the Napolean route in two

2) Another option I looked into was that I talked with AAA today and they said a train from Madrid to Pamplona on April 27th leaving at 7:35 pm and arriving in Pamplona at 10:40 p.m. would be $74. Does that price sound right to you? Is this normal or is there some reason why it is higher?

Then spend a night at Corazun Puro (if I can set that up.) http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

The nice people from Corazon Puro will pick you up from the bus or train, give you a meal (of course the first night would be to late for this) and a comfortable bed for the night and then take you to St Jean the next morning. This might be helpful after such a long flight. At this point I would have to spend the night of the 27th and 28th then arrive at SJPP on the 29th.

I would prefer option 1 if you wonderful angels could figure out a way for me to do it. Or is option 2 the best one to go with. Or Maybe there is an option 3 that is better then all of the other two. Please advise.
Thank you Angels

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Calling all Angels--Need help--just not enough brain power at this point after loss of son!!

1) My desire is to start from SJPP on April 28th if possible-- Then do what I need to do to book a night at Orisson to break the Napolean route in two

2) Another option I looked into was that I talked with AAA today and they said a train from Madrid to Pamplona on April 27th leaving at 7:35 pm and arriving in Pamplona at 10:40 p.m. would be $74. Does that price sound right to you? Is this normal or is there some reason why it is higher?

Then spend a night at Corazun Puro (if I can set that up.) http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

The nice people from Corazon Puro will pick you up from the bus or train, give you a meal (of course the first night would be to late for this) and a comfortable bed for the night and then take you to St Jean the next morning. This might be helpful after such a long flight. At this point I would have to spend the night of the 27th and 28th then arrive at SJPP on the 29th.

I would prefer option 1 if you wonderful angels could figure out a way for me to do it. Or is option 2 the best one to go with. Or Maybe there is an option 3 that is better then all of the other two. Please advise.
Thank you Angels
I got train tickets from Madrid to Pamplona for $24.0on April 17th through a site called Petrabax. You have to let Corazon know what time you arrive, so they know when to pick you up, of course. I think the extra day will help yu decompress a little and also help with the jet lag

Mike, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your son. I wish for you a beautiful, healing journey on the Camino.

A couple of things about your plan. I highly recommend a stay at Orisson. You may want to reserve in advance, to ensure you have a bed. You can do that here: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

As for Corazon Puro, in my experience they only pick up in Pamplona up to the time needed to get you to their place in time for dinner. A 10:40pm arrival is likely too late for them. You could plan to stay in Madrid and then go to Pamplona in the morning, in time to catch the 2:30pm bus to SJPP. Or if you do go to Pamplona on the day of arrival, you may need to book a hotel to accommodate your late arrival (the pilgrim's hostels usually close at 10:00pm). Then you could get the bus the next day or go to the bus station in the morning and look for other pilgrims to share a taxi to SJPP.

If you stay over in Pamplona, I can recommend Hotel Eslava. It is very pilgrim-friendly, has reasonable rates, and should be able to receive you that late. Available on www.booking.com.

I hope that helps!

~ Nancy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thank you Angels
Why not check into a very inexpensive flight from the Airport in Madrid to Biarritz? Inter European flights are usually quite cheap. I got a flight from Santiago to Madrid for $47 dollars. I got mine on Iberia airlines.

1410 - 1605 - Deplane and go from Madrid airport to Chamarin Renfe station. Take Cercanias from T4 or Madrid Metro from either T1T2T3 or T4. (Note this timing is dependent on your flight arriving more or less on time)

Take Renfe Train from Madrid Chamartin to Irun 1605 - 2151.

Stay at Irun or Hendaye for 27/28 April. Hendaye is across the border from Irun. Irun Renfe Station is 3 km from Gare d'Hendaye.

Take SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye to Bayonne 0650 - 0727 28 Apr (note there are earlier and later trains ... the 0650 is TER service and requires no reservations)

Take SNCF TER train from Bayonne to SJPdP 0745 - 0843 (note there are 4 trains daily ... you would have enough time to get to Orisson with the 1110 -1208 train)

One other option to get to SJPdP on the 28th April in time to walk to Orisson is to take a flight from Madrid to either San Sebastian EAS or Biarritz BIQ. EAS is located about 6 km from Gare d'Hendaye. In addition to SNCF there is Transports64 bus service from Gare d'Hendaye to Bayonne. BIQ has Chronoplus bus 14 service to Gare Bayonne.

There are ALSA buses from T4 or Avenida de America that go to San Sebastian arriving late. In the AM you can take a PESA bus from San Sebastian to Bayonne or Metro to Gare d'Hendaye.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got train tickets from Madrid to Pamplona for $24.0on April 17th through a site called Petrabax. You have to let Corazon know what time you arrive, so they know when to pick you up, of course. I think the extra day will help yu decompress a little and also help with the jet lag

Did you get the ticket in advance or purchase that day or a few days earlier?? My date is showing $41 right now.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thank you Angels
You didn't say where you're flying in from but if you land in Madrid in the AM go to terminal T2 and catch bus #203, it runs every 15 minuets. Take it to the Atocha train station and catch your train to Pamplona. Go on line to book your train ticket. I used the PETRABX web site. The Renfe site sucks. AAA is way over priced. I got mine for $36 on line. I'm catching a 1500 departure to Pamplona and, yes, I'm having Pension Corazon Puro pick me up. I would also recommend you book Orisson now. Send a email to refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr.

I arrive in Madrid at 0900, clear customs, walk to terminal T2 and catch bus #203 to the Atocha train station, according to Google a 60 minuets ride, catch the 1505 train to Pamplona and arrive there at 1830. Pension Corazon will pick me up and the next day transport me to SJPDP where I will spend the night. I will start my camino the next day walking to Orisson where I will spend the night. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

You didn't say where you're flying in from but if you land in Madrid in the AM go to terminal T2 and catch bus #203, it runs every 15 minuets. Take it to the Atocha train station and catch your train to Pamplona. Go on line to book your train ticket. I used the PETRABX web site. The Renfe site sucks. AAA is way over priced. I got mine for $36 on line. I'm catching a 1500 departure to Pamplona and, yes, I'm having Pension Corazon Puro pick me up. I would also recommend you book Orisson now. Send a email to refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr.

I arrive in Madrid at 0900, clear customs, walk to terminal T2 and catch bus #203 to the Atocha train station, according to Google a 60 minuets ride, catch the 1505 train to Pamplona and arrive there at 1830. Pension Corazon will pick me up and the next day transport me to SJPDP where I will spend the night. I will start my camino the next day walking to Orisson where I will spend the night. Buen Camino

Happy Trails
"SJPDP where I will spend the night" Why spend the night there and where? Is this your first camino?

"SJPDP where I will spend the night" Why spend the night there and where? Is this your first camino?
Our travel day starts in the AM on the 11th in Los Angeles and end in the PM on the 12th in Pamplona. We want to see SJPDP and are sure we will need a extra day to recover from jet lag. We have reservations at the Beilari Albergue in Saint Jean. This is camino #3. The long English Way was #1 and the short Portuguese was #2. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just paid $80aud for the same trip but in first class

Thank you Angels
st paid $80

Our travel day starts in the AM on the 11th in Los Angeles and end in the PM on the 12th in Pamplona. We want to see SJPDP and are sure we will need a extra day to recover from jet lag. We have reservations at the Beilari Albergue in Saint Jean. This is camino #3. The long English Way was #1 and the short Portuguese was #2. Buen Camino
We are on the same train on the 12th and also staying at Beilari.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We are on the same train on the 12th and also staying at Beilari.
Look for 2 old guys who look tired and are having too much fun. Both wear Tilley type hats. One is hair challenged and I'm not. Buen Camino

Happy Trails.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Look for 2 old guys who look tired and are having too much fun. Both wear Tilley type hats. One is hair challenged and I'm not. Buen Camino

Happy Trails.
Just realized we may be at Beilari on different nights. We are being picked up in Madrid by
Corazón Puro Pensión and staying there on the 12th. They will transport us to SJPdP on the 13th, so we will be at Beilari on the 13th. See you on the train....two old women, looking fresh after flight...with backpacks :)

Just realized we may be at Beilari on different nights. We are being picked up in Madrid by
Corazón Puro Pensión and staying there on the 12th. They will transport us to SJPdP on the 13th, so we will be at Beilari on the 13th. See you on the train....two old women, looking fresh after flight...with backpacks :)
If you are taking the 1505 train to Pamplona we will be in the same car to Pension Corazon Puro and to Saint Jean on the 13th. It is truly a small world:):D. Are you flying out of LAX on a United flight?

[TTE="Urban Trekker, post: 393456, member: 22821"]If you are taking the 1505 train to Pamplona we will be in the same car to Pension Corazon Puro and to Saint Jean on the 13th. It is truly a small world:):D. Are you flying out of LAX on a United flight?[/QUOTE]
That's our exact schedule. I am flying from Florida and my cousin-in law (husbands cousin) is flying from North Carolina.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back