• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Magna Via Francigena Sicily!

Junebug33

Time of past OR future Camino
September 15, 2023
Hello! I’m a single older female planning on walking the Magna Via Francigena Sicily beginning on September 15, 2023. I have so many questions, and notice that there are so few threads pertaining to this Camino! Is there a passport for this walk? Will there be others walking this trail in September? If anyone out there is planning on this hike, or has recently completed this hike, would you mind reaching out to me? I’ve only seen one guidebook for this pilgrimage- Terre publications 1st edition in English. I’m hoping that I can purchase a copy when I get to Palermo, unless there’s an app that has similar information? Any recommendations? This forum is a treasure box of information! Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can't be certain, but I hope @timr sees your thread as he may be able to offer some guidance...or at least point you in the right direction. Tim is very knowledgeable on all things VF, esp in Italy, as he extended beyond where most of us end (Rome).
Happy planning...& good on you!
👣🌏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello! I’m a single older female planning on walking the Magna Via Francigena Sicily beginning on September 15, 2023. I have so many questions, and notice that there are so few threads pertaining to this Camino! Is there a passport for this walk? Will there be others walking this trail in September? If anyone out there is planning on this hike, or has recently completed this hike, would you mind reaching out to me? I’ve only seen one guidebook for this pilgrimage- Terre publications 1st edition in English. I’m hoping that I can purchase a copy when I get to Palermo, unless there’s an app that has similar information? Any recommendations? This forum is a treasure box of information! Thank you!
There is an app, free - search for it in the App store or wherever. When I did the MVF in 2019 the signage was not particularly good, and I relied heavily on the gpx tracks. There is also a website, with lots of information, and you can purchase a credential. There will be people walking in September, and ti will still be pretty hot then. DM me if you'd like to ask any questions.
Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 15.07.24.png

Hi. https://pilgrimstorome.org.uk/
This link may be useful to you.
Buen Camino
Vince

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My wife and I walked this route spring 2018. It is a beautiful walk at that time of year with many flowers filling the green fields and along the roads. There is a passport for the route and we used the first edition of the Terre guide which was then only in Italian. We picked up the guide at book shop just across from the Cathedral in Palermo and the credential from a hostel in Palermo (might be in my blog). The book store is operated by nuns so you will know you are in the right place when you enter. Friends of ours walked the MVF last fall with the english version and commented that the way is now well marked through the towns and villages, which wasn't the case in 2018. It's still a seldom walked route and we only met a Swiss couple and a woman from Italy who has become a good friend and walked with me for a week last year on the Via Francigena. Our friends had a similar experience last year. Below you will see a link to my blog where you will find this route covered on a daily basis. We booked all our accommodations ahead using Booking.com plus some email contacts as well (using Google maps to source accommodations) as did our friends as there were no pilgrim specific accommodations. For a brilliant experience plan to stay at Casa Paradiso (budget permitting) and tell Francesca that you heard about her place from the Canadian couple who stayed with her in 2018.

We were apparently the first Canadians to cross the route which led to unexpected and fun meetings with town mayors and route organizers. It was pretty special! The local people were lovely and a number of our hosts went out of their way to show us around. I think you will have wonderful time, but make sure you are well prepared because there are lots of steep though manageable sections. Our friends said that there is a luggage transfer service available, though I have no information about that. Learn a few basic Italian phrases and your experience will be better, but this is the same everywhere. Have fun with your planning and enjoy your walk!

Last edited:
Hi there High Endeavours..... I can only see a link to Casa Paradiso in your post. Could you put the link to your blog please. I'd like to read about the MVF.
Cheers

Friends of ours, Anna and Michael, have finished it in the last few months and a written a great blog on it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can't be certain, but I hope @timr sees your thread as he may be able to offer some guidance...or at least point you in the right direction. Tim is very knowledgeable on all things VF, esp in Italy, as he extended beyond where most of us end (Rome).
Happy planning...& good on you!
👣🌏
Thank you for the info & encouragement!

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...ss-on-sicilys-most-recent-long-distance-trail

http://www.viefrancigenedisicilia.it/

If you are looking for info in English, you may use a translator to read the Italian webistes.

A friendly suggestion: Italians appreciate it if you take the trouble to take an interest in their language.
Thank you for the links and advice! I’ve been learning Italian (slowly!) through the Babbel app…hopefully I’ll be able to put it to good use by the time I get there.

Wow, thank you so much for the information and invitation to chat! I’ve been on the MVF website and opened it in Chrome so it could be translated. There’s great information there! I haven’t made any reservations in advance- that was one of the areas I was unsure about.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
My wife and I walked this route spring 2018. It is a beautiful walk at that time of year with many flowers filling the green fields and along the roads. There is a passport for the route and we used the first edition of the Terre guide which was then only in Italian. We picked up the guide at book shop just across from the Cathedral in Palermo and the credential from a hostel in Palermo (might be in my blog). The book store is operated by nuns so you will know you are in the right place when you enter. Friends of ours walked the MVF last fall with the english version and commented that the way is now well marked through the towns and villages, which wasn't the case in 2018. It's still a seldom walked route and we only met a Swiss couple and a woman from Italy who has become a good friend and walked with me for a week last year on the Via Francigena. Our friends had a similar experience last year. Below you will see a link to my blog where you will find this route covered on a daily basis. We booked all our accommodations ahead using Booking.com plus some email contacts as well (using Google maps to source accommodations) as did our friends as there were no pilgrim specific accommodations. For a brilliant experience plan to stay at Casa Paradiso (budget permitting) and tell Francesca that you heard about her place from the Canadian couple who stayed with her in 2018.

We were apparently the first Canadians to cross the route which led to unexpected and fun meetings with town mayors and route organizers. It was pretty special! The local people were lovely and a number of our hosts went out of their way to show us around. I think you will have wonderful time, but make sure you are well prepared because there are lots of steep though manageable sections. Our friends said that there is a luggage transfer service available, though I have no information about that. Learn a few basic Italian phrases and your experience will be better, but this is the same everywhere. Have fun with your planning and enjoy your walk!
Wonderful, wonderful information! Thank you so much! I’d been wondering about the pilgrim specific accommodation..and any albergues along the way. Right now I’m planning on carrying my own minimalist backpack, but I’ll keep an open mind if things get rough…I saw that the MVF website lists a couple of options for luggage transport.
I’m planning on an extra night in Castronovo di Sicilia, as that is where my grandmother was born & raised, so I’ll definitely check out Casa Paradiso and give Francesca your fond greetings!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm also a single older woman and did the Magna Via Francigena last fall by myself. As I have a sore shoulder I wasn't sure I could carry everything the whole way so did a self guided trip through Sloways. I was glad I did as the trail is not yet fully marked and I sure appreciated the app! All the people were incredibly friendly and the trail was wonderful. Feel free to get in touch.
Also, you can find info on this thread- https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...rancigena-opens-in-sicily.49958/#post-1125676

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi June, I am also a single older female that walked some of the Magna when I first semi-retired and came to live in Sicily in April 2022. It was AWESOME! A friend forwarded me your post and I would love to respond properly but it is very late - I am not sure how to send you a private message with my WhatsApp number. It needs a conversation, I think! If you know how I can send you my number or how to send me yours (WhatsApp) we can chat tomorrow. Good luck!

Moderator note: Please use the private Conversation feature to exchange contact information. Click on the person's avatar and then on "Start conversation".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everybody, and thank you so much for sharing all of your experiences and offering advice! I will reach out to everyone who offered to chat, but unfortunately right now I’m backpacking up in the high country and have no cell service! I just hit a spot with 2 bars so I wanted to reach out to everyone and let you know how much I appreciate you all! I should be back in civilization in about a week and will be back in touch then. Thank you all so much!!

@High Endeavours I just finished reading your blog on the Magna Via Francigena. Even though it's a few years old now, It's the most comprehensive and entertaining account of this walk I've come across. Thank you!

Can you compare the climbs to the climbs on the Italian section of the VF?

I was curious if it was necessary for hikers to arrange accomodations ahead of time on this route? We will be traveling the second half of June.

I was curious if it was necessary for hikers to arrange accomodations ahead of time on this route? We will be traveling the second half of June.
Hi! When I hiked this route last fall I would make my accommodation arrangements as I walked, on the day before I planned to arrive. Never more than 2 days in advance. That worked out fine for me…there was only one day that I had difficulty finding availability and that was because of a wedding in the village 😂.
I’m not sure how it will be in June, though.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi! When I hiked this route last fall I would make my accommodation arrangements as I walked, on the day before I planned to arrive. Never more than 2 days in advance. That worked out fine for me…there was only one day that I had difficulty finding availability and that was because of a wedding in the village 😂.
I’m not sure how it will be in June, though.
thanks for this info! And that sounds incredible!

Curious, if anyone having hiked during June/summer has any advice?

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Has anyone got information on the hospice (not the auberge) a Great Saint Bernard Pass? I've read their website, and I'd appreciate insights as to how comfortable it is, quality of the food, etc...
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.