• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Making a slide show of my Camino

EvleenMann

Time of past OR future Camino
april 19 2023
Apologies if this has been covered already, but I have made a 36 slide powerpoint of my Camino last year, Burgos to Santiago.
Naturally I took photos of pals on the way, but have not got contact details for all of them, to ask permission to publish online.
If I post it here, or on youtube, would I have to leave out their photos and their names? Or just their photos and leave their first names? Or maybe just initials?

I have a feeling I know the answer, no consent, no photo or names! Please don't shout at me if it is that obvious.

I assume it is ok to make my own private photo album with them in it as that will not be public? And can I make a copy for family and friends?

Best wishes
Evleen

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Please don't shout at me if it is that obvious.
No, nothing about this is obvious!

I am not a lawyer or particularly knowledgeable on this topic, but will merely outline what I understand to be the forum policy.

If I post it here, or on youtube, would I have to leave out their photos and their names?
You would need to ask YouTube about their policies. I am quite confident that you won't get a good answer. The internet is like the wild west. However, there are rules in some countries, and I expect we'll get an answer about the EU rules/policies soon on this thread. Then, there is always common sense and courtesy to fall back upon.

We don't encourage a lot of personal slide shows and videos on the forum, because let's face it, usually they are only of personal interest and they get repetitive after a few hundred. Those that are posted are under the section called Videos, Blogs, Podcasts and Photo Albums.

Rule #12 covers the forum policy. It puts the onus on the person who posts:

12) For photos uploaded to the forum (including the Photo section) the following rules apply:
  • Photos uploaded to the forum are the property of the person who took the photo.
  • Please only upload photos that are your own.
  • To use these photos in any other way, please contact the person who took the photo for permission.
  • If a photo contains images of people, it must be one that was taken with the knowledge and consent of those people (consent does not need to be written, it can be verbal or implied). If a photo includes children, the photo must have the explicit permission of the parent or guardian.
  • Photos should not be posted for the purpose of identifying or finding the person.
In some cases, Rule 12 also applies, as we don't want posts that serve mainly to increase traffic to other social media account.

I assume it is ok to make my own private photo album with them in it as that will not be public? And can I make a copy for family and friends?
I believe that is totally permissable. I have never heard of lawsuits or objections to people's private photo albums!

I gave a presentation about my Camino to a fellowship group of my church. it was recorded and the movie (3.5 hours) given to me; after which I did post it on YouTube in my channel.
There were no restrictions of any type as far as photos go. YouTube did check the copyrights of the music I used for the background soundtrack (mostly instrumentals from mid-70s) and found no issues with those as well so my Camino trip lives on in the Internet World.

I am also not a lawyer but I believe the rule is that if you are "in public place" your mug within reasons is a free game. As stated above - the property of the photo is a different thing but at the same if its your photo (i.e. you took it) then that's that....
... going back to public places - IIRC there was an issue (and an attempt of a law suit) concerning the Original Woodstock and numerous photos of folks swimming naked and other stuff. Reckon when "they came about from the MJ fog" they were embarrassed and when photos came out - they tried to stop them. Aain, to my best recollection, the suit didn't go anywhere because the gathering was deemed "public space" and thus "anything goes" as far as any permissions were concerned. Now, perhaps 60 years later something changed; that I don't know but I would still content that if I post a photo of a communal dinner from any given albergues I am not required to get a release permission from every person in it (not to mention that I don't know 1/2 of their names and where they are from)

in short - I would not worry too much as long as the slides themselves do not have anything, shall we say, disparaging.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The “right to privacy” rules in Europe are a bit divergent from those in the USA. @C clearly ’s post 2 above summarises but should be qualified. If the photo is taken with intent to publish express permission may be required. Photographing someone’s naked bum at Yasgur’s farm may not be unlawful but publishing the result is. The “public space” defence does not stand on private property. Just ask the Paparazzi.

“Hey, can I stick this on my blog?” might cover you unless you publish that one photo of that one person who definitely did not want to be found by one of Godgle’s exceedingly efficient bots. The bloke whose photo I use for my avatar has been trying to sue me for years. Luckily he has no idea what I look like 😉

Apologies if this has been covered already, but I have made a 36 slide powerpoint of my Camino last year, Burgos to Santiago.
Naturally I took photos of pals on the way, but have not got contact details for all of them, to ask permission to publish online.
If I post it here, or on youtube, would I have to leave out their photos and their names? Or just their photos and leave their first names? Or maybe just initials?

I have a feeling I know the answer, no consent, no photo or names! Please don't shout at me if it is that obvious.

Best wishes
Evleen
I think as long as it's nothing incriminating, likely to cause offence to the said person (in reasonable circumstances) or going on the front of the newspaper then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ironically, I see it a little differently...and I'm from the US. Let me explain.

I expect someone taking a picture with my face in it, particularly in a lodging or restaurant ( not quite a " public place") to ask me first. If I chose to stay in the picture, I will almost always ask you not to put it on public social media, and especially not to tag it with whatever variant of my name you may have.

If I chose to leave the picture, problem solved.

If you choose to try to sneak a picture, I'll move away. At that point, I figure you already know that you *don't* have my permission to make it public.

Obviously, what you do for private use is up to you.

BL: OP, only you know what circumstances you took your pictures in. But if you intended to publish them to You Tube or other public media ali along * and DIDN'T TELL THEM THAT at the time* ...well, you may not be in legal trouble. But you and your conscience might want to have a chat.

EvleenMann, I apologize for "shouting* at you. Nothing you posted deserved that response.

You already know the answer to your question. If you don't have implied or can't get explicit permission to make their faces/names public, you don't.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't know...I'm still having a hard time with this
I make a short video of all us Pilgrims enjoying communal dinner at Albergue du jour
I post it on "my" YouTube channel
Here is Tom from UK here is Harriet from Paris here is Yun from Korea...
What is the problem?

IMHO if I do not benefit financially from the video no harm done! Else, come on, all that crowd of people behind me on Plaza Obradoiro when I asked someone to take my photo... what? Am I to start running to each of them and get a written consent 🤔?

I believe your "consent " was given by implication when you agreed to be in the photo (if anything I actually did have situations when people politely declined to have their photos taken)

Last edited:
No, nothing about this is obvious!

I am not a lawyer or particularly knowledgeable on this topic, but will merely outline what I understand to be the forum policy.

You would need to ask YouTube about their policies. I am quite confident that you won't get a good answer. The internet is like the wild west. However, there are rules in some countries, and I expect we'll get an answer about the EU rules/policies soon on this thread. Then, there is always common sense and courtesy to fall back upon.

We don't encourage a lot of personal slide shows and videos on the forum, because let's face it, usually they are only of personal interest and they get repetitive after a few hundred. Those that are posted are under the section called Videos, Blogs, Podcasts and Photo Albums.

Rule #12 covers the forum policy. It puts the onus on the person who posts:

12) For photos uploaded to the forum (including the Photo section) the following rules apply:
  • Photos uploaded to the forum are the property of the person who took the photo.
  • Please only upload photos that are your own.
  • To use these photos in any other way, please contact the person who took the photo for permission.
  • If a photo contains images of people, it must be one that was taken with the knowledge and consent of those people (consent does not need to be written, it can be verbal or implied). If a photo includes children, the photo must have the explicit permission of the parent or guardian.
  • Photos should not be posted for the purpose of identifying or finding the person.
In some cases, Rule 12 also applies, as we don't want posts that serve mainly to increase traffic to other social media account.

I believe that is totally permissable. I have never heard of lawsuits or objections to people's private photo albums!
Thank you so much. I will err on the side of privacy as too much about all of us is online already.

I also feel a sense of relief!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back