• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March 2012 anyone?

kiwichick

Hello to my new community!

I'm travelling to SJPP to start my first Camino on the 1st of March 2011 and although I've done oodles of research and am loving the forums for help and guidance, I'm still nervous about just starting. Thanks to the wonderful people who have posted re:
boots - I've got Merrell's now
backpacks - Caribee 40L
camelbak v bottle - have a camelbak already so will give that a crack
blisters - I have taken note of all of the information and will plan my strategy as I go (but will go for Vaseline as the first line of defence)
I would, however, like some advice re: sleeping bag v liner only. A lot of people have mentioned that a liner will be sufficient in March but if I could have some feedback that would be greatly appreciated.

There appears to be a few March 2012 starters in the forum so who knows, we could end up walking the walk together.

:D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would take a sleeping bag in March. I went in April/May this year and definately appreciated my sleeping bag, I would expect that March would be cooler.

Hi Sharni,
Oh I was so hoping you wouldn't say that! Now I need to go hunting for one!
Thank you for the feedback though - would be a dreadful time if I was freezing and not sleeping....when I have the snoring to look forward to.
x

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Kiwichick:

I would definitely recommend a sleeping bag at that time of year. Purchase something rated around +5c or 40f and lightweight around 1 1/2 pounds.

Ultreya,
Joe

I just picked up a Light Trekker Down sleeping bag that could probably scrunch into a liter bottle and weighs about as much as a newspaper, maybe less. If those are available in your area of the globe, definitely check them out. Hope to see you en route. Starting off on March 3rd!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I only came across this. I will be starting my walk on the 1st of March, maybe the 2nd depending if the long day travel before hand has worn me out. I'm really in the same boat. A ton of research, but I am getting really apprehensive :s

Go raibh maith agat, do chara trid Criost.

Is Mise

CrĂ­ostĂłir MacAodha

Will be on the Camino on 2nd March but starting this time in Burgos and only walking as far as LeĂłn. I am taking a lighweight sleeping bag. If any of you recognise me from my photo do come and introduce yourself.

Hi I would take a light sleeping bag liner as well as the normal bag, it is light, it gets quite cool at night and if by chance there is a sudden heat wave, you can just sleep in that no problems...for the very light weight that it is, it is worth it !

We walked part of the Camino last year in March ..it was a lot quieter than later in the year but still lots of fellow pilgrims to chat to as we walked, The weather was ok so have a wonderful pilgrimage and enjoy even the days that seem hard going..even if it is in retrospect !!!!

Buen Camino Sheila
PS I am envious wish it was me but will have to wait until next year before I can go again !!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Actually Sheila if I were not at the limit of what I can carry (I have medical supplies to take) I might consider taking the liner as well as the bag. At Gonzar in December 2010 the heating was so high I had to firstly move bunks and then sleep on top of my sleeping bag. I felt I was in Nigeria not Galicia. However at some point during the night the tempreture dropped and a liner would have been helpful. (It was up again by the morning).

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back