• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugues in March recovery walk

RowenaH

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues 2024
Hello! Recent lurker who is coming out to declare intent to make things happen. I'm considering the Portuguese from Porto to Santiago in March as I will be in Lisbon end February.

My reasons to take the camino will be to hopefully celebrate the management of an autoimmune disease. I used to be an enthusiastic weekend endurance athlete so the walk and mental journey of the Camino would have been something I would have easily taken in my stride. Now this will be a wonderful yet daunting challenge and celebration of getting some health back. It's great to use this forum to read other stories of people walking with an auto immune disease.

At the moment my challenges are maintaining health and energy levels across several and balancing work, so my Camino may take a long time or if my research reveals there's accommodation options, starting with the smaller Fatima as a test as it really calls me for spiritual reasons. This will also allow me to check out food options as this may also be a challenge. (Sigh)

While I'm a light packer (I only take a small carry on for 3 month trips) the 10% rule seems pretty tiny when you only weigh 50kgs! So maybe I need to work on weighing more 🤔 😃

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
While I'm a light packer (I only take a small carry on for 3 month trips) the 10% rule seems pretty tiny when you only weigh 50kgs! So maybe I need to work on weighing more 🤔 😃
Indeed, for lighter people it can be difficult. But there is no rule! It is at best a rule of thumb for summer packing, and if you are walking in early spring you might expect that you will need to be packing more than that. Perhaps from 25% to 50% more. While the basic pattern of what clothing and equipment you need is unlikely to change much, if at all, from a summer walk, the weight of individual items that you will need for early spring is likely to be a little heavier. That soon adds up.

Hello! Recent lurker who is coming out to declare intent to make things happen. I'm considering the Portuguese from Porto to Santiago in March as I will be in Lisbon end February.

My reasons to take the camino will be to hopefully celebrate the management of an autoimmune disease. I used to be an enthusiastic weekend endurance athlete so the walk and mental journey of the Camino would have been something I would have easily taken in my stride. Now this will be a wonderful yet daunting challenge and celebration of getting some health back. It's great to use this forum to read other stories of people walking with an auto immune disease.

At the moment my challenges are maintaining health and energy levels across several and balancing work, so my Camino may take a long time or if my research reveals there's accommodation options, starting with the smaller Fatima as a test as it really calls me for spiritual reasons. This will also allow me to check out food options as this may also be a challenge. (Sigh)

From a personal standpoint I can’t emphasise how important the weight you can carry is assessed before you travel. I can walk forever but have very poor upper body strength. Not quite sure why it is so bad!!! I weigh 90kgs but no way I could carry 9kgs. Luckily I travel extremely light so I max out at I would guess just a few kilos. I also like ‘being light’ for psychological reasons. Shorts only (no trousers) and travel light. That’s my mantra!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
While I'm a light packer (I only take a small carry on for 3 month trips) the 10% rule seems pretty tiny when you only weigh 50kgs! So maybe I need to work on weighing more
The simple solution is just double your weight. If you start your ice cream diet now, you might be ready for your Camino in time.🤣

Seriously, as dougfitz says, it is just a guideline. My own guideline is somewhat different. Take only what you need. Give everything a second and third thought "do I really need this". Then stop worrying. (Almost everyone, myself included, may have one or two exceptions to this "only absolute necessities" rule. So long as they are sufficiently light exceptions, that is okay. Rice cookers are not recommended.)

Exactly an ice cream diet might be fun. I could even be ready for a Channel Swim after 😃 How did you know my weakness is a rice cooker?! 😉
Luckily we live a lot on the road so I will be practising my weight carrying at the right time, while walking in Thailand.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back