• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mary and Goody start walking May26

Mary_Atherton

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2016)
I've got my gear. I've been walking 4 times a week. One long walk and 3 shorter walks each week since October 2015. I started walking with my pack. I still wonder if I will be ready and in shape to take on the Camino Frances. That just worries me a bit. I thought if I wrote it down it would ease my worries. Actually I'm not too worried about the walk....I'm worried about the flight in, how to get to St. Jean Pied de Port from Madrid, my limited Spanish (I'm using Duolingo), and other things just pop in to my head. I've read many many many post on this forum, but I still worry. I truly do hope "the Camino will provide" as I've read so many times.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mary, hi

You are doing the right things at home. Without worrying you do try to get some hill work into your trips. And you may want to think about a few multi-day trips so you get used to where things are in your pack, and getting walking at a reasonable time (for you) each morning.

Take it easy the first few days as there is so much to get used to. The signs will be different, the manners, the food. But once you start I expect you will encounter friendliness.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You'll be fine Mary. :)
Have you figured out how to get from Madrid to SJPP?
I bet Whari can help you.
Thanks for the reply. Whari? Is that someone one the forum? I think I have figured it out. I've traveled to a lot of different places not knowing as much as I do for this, so I'm sure it will all work out. Still a bit nervous.

Mary, hi

You are doing the right things at home. Without worrying you do try to get some hill work into your trips. And you may want to think about a few multi-day trips so you get used to where things are in your pack, and getting walking at a reasonable time (for you) each morning.

Take it easy the first few days as there is so much to get used to. The signs will be different, the manners, the food. But once you start I expect you will encounter friendliness.
Thank you so much. Training here in SW Washington state in the US, I actually do have some hill work built in to my training plan. On my long walk training days I carry my pack like I think I'll be using it on the Camino. It helps to take stuff in and out and make sure I have things where I want. Everyone here has been so helpful. I wish I could make the nervous bits go away.

I have never gone directly from Madrid to St. John.
However, I fly every year from Portland, Oregon into Madrid, then hop on the bus to Pamplona (around €30) where I rest a couple of days and adjust to the time change.
From Pamplona, it's an inexpensive bus ride to SJPP (under €20) from the bus station.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wish I could make the nervous bits go away.

I am quite sure they will disappear into the background within 30 minutes of starting to walk, maybe sooner.

And if they do surface again, get on the way as soon as you can.

Currently I expect to pass through SJPdP late April/early May and take several days off when I get to Logrono. We may pass one another on the way. I'll try to remember to hold a glass (of cranberry juice, of course) to my lips at all relevant times so you might recognise me.

Kia kaha

Last edited:
Hi Mary I start my camino on 26th April after arriving on the 25th in sjpp.maybe our paths will cross. I have booked in for orrison for the 26th also. Hope we both have a buen camino ☺.rgds. ..franc

I am quite sure they will disappear into the background within 30 minutes of starting to walk, maybe sooner.

And if they do surface again, get on the way as soon as you can.

Currently I expect to pass through SJPdP late April/early May and take several days off when I get to Logrono. We may pass one another on the way. I'll try to remember to hold a glass (of cranberry juice, of course) to my lips at all relevant times so you might recognise me.

Kia kaha
Laughing. I may need something a bit......stiffer than cranberry juice, but I will look for you along the way. Thanks for the encouragement.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Mary I start my camino on 26th April after arriving on the 25th in sjpp.maybe our paths will cross. I have booked in for orrison for the 26th also. Hope we both have a buen camino ☺.rgds. ..franc
It looks like we may start on the 25th or 26th. Depending on how our flight from the US might be. It is going to be exciting to meet so many new folks along the way. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have never gone directly from Madrid to St. John.
However, I fly every year from Portland, Oregon into Madrid, then hop on the bus to Pamplona (around €30) where I rest a couple of days and adjust to the time change.
From Pamplona, it's an inexpensive bus ride to SJPP (under €20) from the bus station.
Thanks for the advice about the buses. I'm actually flying out of Portland,OR on the 24th and meeting up with my sister in Dallas, TX before we fly on to Madrid. Your information on the bus and cost is very helpful.

Hey, I'm in the same boat. We are beginning our walk on May 8th,2016. This forum has been great for information. I just read robscamino.com, it's a blog that Rob made during his pilgrimage last year at the same time we are going. It was really nice to see what the weather might be like and to see his journey everyday. I picked up good ideas and thought he did a great blog. Sorry to have no information about trains for you, but was excited to see you going the same time we are.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey, I'm in the same boat. We are beginning our walk on May 8th,2016. This forum has been great for information. I just read robscamino.com, it's a blog that Rob made during his pilgrimage last year at the same time we are going. It was really nice to see what the weather might be like and to see his journey everyday. I picked up good ideas and thought he did a great blog. Sorry to have no information about trains for you, but was excited to see you going the same time we are.
Good to hear from you. I think I will check out the blog you mention. I love this forum and have learned so much. I think I have the train/bus thing figured out based on some additional research and comments from Anniesantiago. There is really is a lot of good information here.

Hi Mary, sounds like you are well prepared. I too was stressing about getting to SJPP, really stressed (self created) but have that all sorted. I have gone from freaking out (posted 'Hot and Cold' early December) to being ridiculously impatient to start. My bag is packed and I have been training. Although I don't like to wish my life away, I am busting for April to arrive. I am sure there will be challenges but also sure I will love it and come home wanting to go aga in. As the lovely people advised in my first post our journey has already begun.
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Mary, sounds like you are well prepared. I too was stressing about getting to SJPP, really stressed (self created) but have that all sorted. I have gone from freaking out (posted 'Hot and Cold' early December) to being ridiculously impatient to start. My bag is packed and I have been training. Although I don't like to wish my life away, I am busting for April to arrive. I am sure there will be challenges but also sure I will love it and come home wanting to go aga in. As the lovely people advised in my first post our journey has already begun.
Buen Camino.
That is true..."our journey" has already begun. I don't know if it's an age thing or not, but I seem to stress about things that never bothered me a few years ago. I'm sure we are both going to have a wonderful time on the Camino.

[QUOTE="Mary_Atherton, post:. I don't know if it's an age thing or not, but I seem to stress about things that never bothered me a few years ago.
Funny you should say that, I mentioned something similar in my Hot and Cold post. Mid 40's I seem to have become overly anxious :confused::eek::oops: Hoping to improve that on Camino :);):D:rolleyes:

[QUOTE="Mary_Atherton, post:. I don't know if it's an age thing or not, but I seem to stress about things that never bothered me a few years ago.
Funny you should say that, I mentioned something similar in my Hot and Cold post. Mid 40's I seem to have become overly anxious :confused::eek::oops: Hoping to improve that on Camino :);):D:rolleyes:
Thank you for your comment. I'm sure we will improve those things on the Camino. I really am getting excited about it and can't wait to get started. It's all good. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've got my gear. I've been walking 4 times a week. One long walk and 3 shorter walks each week since October 2015. I started walking with my pack. I still wonder if I will be ready and in shape to take on the Camino Frances. That just worries me a bit. I thought if I wrote it down it would ease my worries. Actually I'm not too worried about the walk....I'm worried about the flight in, how to get to St. Jean Pied de Port from Madrid, my limited Spanish (I'm using Duolingo), and other things just pop in to my head. I've read many many many post on this forum, but I still worry. I truly do hope "the Camino will provide" as I've read so many times.
Hi Mary
Hope you have the travel to SJPP

Thank you for your comment. I'm sure we will improve those things on the Camino. I really am getting excited about it and can't wait to get started. It's all good. Buen Camino.

Hi Mary
Hope you have the travel to SJPP figured out and ready to go. I leave from Toronto May24 and start from SJPP on May 26 for Roncevalles via Napoleon if weather ok.
I am 72 with a 1 year old new hip but can go at a fair speed. On the flat ,11 minute Km so I am not too worried about the whole deal other than finding spare parts if the new hip goes on the Fritz!
Watch for a blue MEC pack with a Canadian flag luggage tag obscuring
an ancient old geezer heading up the hill.
You will love the whole thing...Honest, apart from this, that ,and the other. Lol.
See you on the trail.
Buen Camino

George

Hi Mary
Hope you have the travel to SJPP figured out and ready to go. I leave from Toronto May24 and start from SJPP on May 26 for Roncevalles via Napoleon if weather ok.
I am 72 with a 1 year old new hip but can go at a fair speed. On the flat ,11 minute Km so I am not too worried about the whole deal other than finding spare parts if the new hip goes on the Fritz!
Watch for a blue MEC pack with a Canadian flag luggage tag obscuring
an ancient old geezer heading up the hill.
You will love the whole thing...Honest, apart from this, that ,and the other. Lol.
See you on the trail.
Buen Camino

George
George, thanks for the comments. We will look for the blue MEC pack. I've got the Madrid to Pamplona figured out, but still haven't decided on the Pamplona to SJ
PP. we will get there. We are excited to start. Hope to see you on the trail.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.