• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 2012 Camino with a baby

toddlermom

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2012
This May, my family plans to walk El Camino Frances from Burgos to Santiago. Our group consists of me & my husband, my 60+ parents, sister, and our 2-year old daughter. We know it will be a challenge to have our toddler on the trail, but our family has been through a lot in recent years and it is very important that we do this together. Therefore, I am looking for advice on 2 points…

1) We’d really like to carry our daughter in a 3 wheeled off-road hiking chariot rather than a backpack baby carrier (keeping those 16 kg OFF my back!). Do you know if this is possible or do we need the backpack instead?

2) Given that we are traveling with a toddler, we do not think that it is a wise idea to stay in albergues. Recommendations for places with clean, reasonably priced, private rooms are welcome.

Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have seen toddlers in back carriers and in strollers. Strollers are a bit more difficult on the narrow or muddy stretches of the path, but patience and two persons seem to solve any problems.

Accommodations at a reasonable price can be found everywhere. A good guidebook, like John Brierley's, will tell you where and the price category of each. The family groups I have encountered used both albergues and hostales. I did not notice that any children were a bother to other pilgrims, and were always quite popular. Have a great time.

Hi ,
Welcome to the Forum. I think it should be very possible for you all to travel together and to stay in albergues or the more reasonable private places. With five adults to one child it should be no problem. It will be a wonderful experience for you all.
Good luck with all your preparations. If you know no Spanish start to learn some now. Knowing even a little makes life so much easier.

Buen Camino to you all.

Lydia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes good luck from me too, let us know how it goes,
my girls are 20+ would love to have done this, sadly no,
However did milford track (NZ) with them on my own @ 10 & 11, they cursed me but loved it! :lol:

Great Bonding

David

Hello,
If you plan on staying in paid lodging, I would like to suggest you begin making reservations now. I've just booked a trip beginning in June and many places are nearing full. You might want to figure out which towns you'll be staying in and use something like http://www.booking.com where you can cancel most places for free in case you have changes.

I've seen people in wheelchairs on the Camino so I think the push cart would be fine in most cases. Where it might not work, you can always take a bus or taxi!
Good luck to you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
hmmm
having watched The Way movie
id go for a 2 year old any time
rather than the sullen 60 year old brat Sheen
toddlers are a lot more fun
and rewarding
they eat less
cost nothing for accommodation
dont argue (unnecessarily)
clothes are smaller to wash
will slot in with your early rise and early to bed routine
fit in with the Spanish way of life
will ensure you dont walk in the midday sun
will be admired by all the wrinkly old women in black
will be a great conversation piece
will get you free stuff and access to the front of the queue of about anything

Thanks for the advice and the confidence! Our daughter is a good traveler and loves to be outside, so we have some reason to think this might work. We'll get on making reservations soon though. Here's hoping for a dry May :)

I included a short chapter in my book for people wanting to walk with infants and children. Here is an excerpt:

Statistics
The number of children on the Camino is growing. More and more young families and individuals are doing the Camino together with their children. Unfortunately, there are no up to date statistics on babies or very young children but these stats for children from 0 to 12 years are from 2006 to 2009:

2006 – 930 : 2007 – 1 070 : 2008 – 1 093 : 2009 – 1 272

In the 1999 Holy Year 1 470 children were registered at Santiago and in the 2004 Holy Year 7% of the pilgrims registered at Santiago were from 0–10 years of age (925 children) and 11–15 years (15 967 children).

Useful websites

• The Family Adventure Project.
One of the blogs is about a family who did the Camino on tandem bikes with trailers.
pedallingpilgrims.blogspot.com/2008/08/set-in-stone.html Contact: mail@familyonabike.org

• The Littlest Pilgrim blog about an Australian couple who travelled with their one-year-old daughter. Read their very useful blog for mental, physical and spiritual practical preparation.
thelittlestpilgrim.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-09-14T00%3A30%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7

• Pint-sized pilgrims on the Camino. http://www.soultravelers3.com/

Useful equipment

Baby carriers, slings, chariots, mini-tents, all make it easier to trek with babies or toddlers.

http://www.trekandtrailsaltaire.co.uk/
http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/
http://www.kayak-canada.ca/Carrix/carrix.htm#features
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/family.php
http://www.chariotcarriers.com/

Good luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
toddlermom said:
1) We’d really like to carry our daughter in a 3 wheeled off-road hiking chariot rather than a backpack baby carrier (keeping those 16 kg OFF my back!). Do you know if this is possible or do we need the backpack instead?

2) Given that we are traveling with a toddler, we do not think that it is a wise idea to stay in albergues. Recommendations for places with clean, reasonably priced, private rooms are welcome.

Thanks!
Hi toddlermom,
1) Starting from Burgos you should be fine with the 3 wheeled hiking chariot for quite a while. One of the places that comes to mind where you may have difficulty is a stretch between Manjarin and El Acebo where it's quite rocky and bumpy. It happens to be one of my favourite parts to walk but many people take to the road at this point because it's so rocky. Also parts of the way up from Villafranca del Bierzo up to O'Cebreiro are quite rough and you may have to do parts of this on the road as well. The roads are apparently fine for walking as long as it's not the highway. Be sure to take really good sun and rain protection for the baby as it can be really, really hot in May. It can also pour rain!
2) If it were me I wouldn't be comfortable in albergues with a baby as I'd be worried about bothering other exhausted pilgrims. As well, albergues are not set up for babies to sleep, as there are only bunk bed with no sides to keep the child from falling out. A private albergue (known as a red albergue) may have more options. Lists of red albergues are available. In various trips I have stayed in a hostal (an inexpensive hotel-like room with your own bathroom, clean sheets and few frills), a pension (a slightly less expensive room usually with a shared bathroom or at least not a bathroom in the room), a casa rural (think B&B - usually quite nice, slightly more expensive but bathroom in the room). I never paid more than 35 Euros (the casa rural), usually 20 or 25, and never booked ahead or had problems finding a place at the last minute (2009 was my last time on the camino)
Buen camino. I hope this trip does everything to heal your family that you are looking for.
Cecelia

We just returned from an amazing month on the Camino where we walked from Burgos to Santiago with our 2-year old daughter. It was a true family trip with 3 generations making the pilgrimage together. There isn’t a lot of first-hand information available for people who are thinking about bringing a baby on the Camino, so I’d thought I post a follow-up here.

We had a very positive experience with our daughter, however I do not think bringing a child on the Camino is something that should be considered lightly. Before embarking on such an adventure, you must know yourself and know your child. If your kid cannot sit still and refuses to be confined in a relatively small space for 6+ hours a day, then walking the Camino is probably not a good idea. If you require a lot of alone time to recharge, it equally isn’t a good idea. While the solo peregrino needs to find things to do each afternoon and can choose when to socialize, we always had to be Catie’s parents first. She napped in the cart, so by the time we stopped for the day Catie was ready for the local playground. All we wanted to do was shower, drink a cold beer, and get off our weary feet. Between giving Catie a chance to play, doing laundry, shopping for the next day’s breakfast & snacks, eating, and getting clean, we never had a chance to rest. Even with all the extra hands, we were still busy every day. On top of that, regardless of whether you choose to carry your child in a backpack, baby carrier, or push them in a cart- you will be carrying more weight than the average pilgrim.

So, that said, here are a few ways we dealt with being pilgrim parents. Everything I’m writing here is geared toward traveling with a 1-3 year old. I suspect the experience is quite different for older kids or younger babies.

KID TRANSPORT. You have the option of carrying or pushing your baby. We tested several methods in the year before we made the trip. Initially we thought that I’d carry her in our baby backpack, but once we discovered that it would weigh ~35lbs fully loaded and that my husband would be carrying even more weight, we opted to push Catie in a Croozer Kid for 1. Not only did it allow us to push, rather than carry Catie’s gear, but pushing Catie in a cart allowed her considerably more freedom of movement than carrying her would have. She was able to sit, stand, lay down to sleep, eat, and play in the cart. Because she could move around so much, we were able to walk longer hours than we ever would have carrying her. The enclosed capsule also provided much better protection against the elements than a carrier would have.

Interestingly, the Croozer appeared to be the vehicle of choice on the Camino this May. Of the 4 families we met or heard about with young children/babies on the trail, 3 were pushing Croozers (the last was using a Chariot- better suspension for the kid, considerably less storage room for gear, much more expensive).

The base Croozer works, but I’d recommend a few modifications. Most importantly, I’d add a hand brake. Adding a brake would really reduce the strain on your back and knees going downhill. My husband built a wooden platform covered with a foam mat that provided a more stable surface for Catie to stand on. We used a padded sheepskin cover to protect her butt and provide her a comfy place to sleep. A rear bike bag provided extra storage as well as easy an easily accessible place for my water bottle, Catie’s sippy cup, and snacks. We added a clip-on stroller sombrilla in Spain since Catie disliked how the Croozer sun shade prevented her ability to stand up. Removable window stickers, books, a magnetic doodle board, and a variety of small toys provided entertainment.

THE TRAIL. The Croozer handled pretty much everything the Camino threw at it. For the most part, we stayed on the Camino or on the roads immediately adjacent to the trail. Occasionally, a former pilgrim would tell us about a particularly rough stretch or a bad descent and we’d opt for the highway. It seemed like bikers had the best knowledge regarding trail conditions. I’d recommend getting a bike guide in addition to the walking trail guide since they are more concerned with trail conditions. We had to carry the Croozer over a few streams, tree roots, and lots of stairs. We also had a tow rope that we used for particularly steep hills. My husband and/or father would pull, while my sister or I pushed. The Camino is doable with a cart or jogging stroller, but again, be aware of the challenges the added weight and width create.

PACKING & GEAR. We each carried our own gear and packed Catie’s stuff in a Deuter Kangakid backpack, which lived in the back of the Croozer. We figured it would serve as a good backup kid carrier and a day bag for afternoon excursions (again, life is different on the Camino with an active 2-year old!). The Kangakid was very useful when our original Croozer was stolen in Leon, however, if I were to do this again, I think I’d opt for a smaller Ergo-like baby carrier and a bunch of waterproof stuff sacks. Smaller bags would fit better and provide a little more flexibility. One woman we met managed to fit all her clothes, camping gear, plus everything for her 2 daughters into the back of a Croozer Kid for 2!

If you’d prefer to carry your kid, but need to reduce your total load, luggage transport service is available along the entire Camino. Jacotrans will deliver your pack to just about any private albergue or hostal for 7 Euros on the meseta and 3 Euros after Sarria.

I’ve seen a couple of questions about diapers and other kid supplies. We had no problem buying diapers and wipes along the Camino. They were easily found in pharmacies or grocery stores in every town. The only bad thing was that we typically could not find packs smaller than 50 diapers. That’s a lot of extra weight if you are carrying them on your back.

LODGING. Catie often has difficulty falling asleep in new places, so we figured sleeping in a different hostal each night was going to pose a challenge. That, combined with the fact that we travelled as a family of 6, made us decide to make reservations for private or semi-private rooms for the entire trip. We stayed in private albergues, hostals, pensiones, and casa rurals. We needed the peace of mind knowing where we were going to stay each night and didn’t want Catie’s presence to upset other tired peregrinos. Making advanced reservations turned out to be a very good thing for us, since we tended to get in a bit later than most pilgrims given the playground breaks, snack stops, diaper changes, etc., and often arrived in town after the main albergues were full. I know of other pilgrim parents who slept in the big albergues and one who camped a lot, so there are other options. If you choose the “normal pilgrim” albergues, just make sure to arrive early and be prepared for a few dirty looks. Not everyone wants to share a bunk room with a toddler, no matter how well behaved they are.

PEOPLE. We met loads of wonderful people along the Way! Most were interested and excited to see our daughter. We often joked that if we charged a Euro for every photo taken of her, we’d have been able to pay for the entire trip! We did run across a few people who disapproved of our having a child on the Camino, but those folks usually were nicer once they realized we were not sharing their bunk room. Others ignored us. But overall, Catie’s reception was very positive. I don’t think she ever got used to getting her head patted and cheeks pinched by every Spaniard she met, but she thoroughly enjoyed the sweets. Catie received more lollipops, candy, and chocolate from strangers along the journey than she’d eaten in her entire life!

Our most negative experience of the trip was having our Croozer stolen from the entry of our hostal in Leon. Everyone had been so wonderful to us, that we’d gotten lax with security. Do not repeat our mistake- if you push a cart, use a bike lock at all times. Luckily, we were able to order a new Croozer from a local bike shop the next morning. With only a 24 hour delay, we were back on the road (thanks, Bicicletas Blanco!).

FOOD. Catie has always been a good eater, however when we arrived in Spain it took us a few days to discover what she wanted to eat. Her typical diet of fruit, fresh veggies, and pasta was hard to come by. Luckily we discovered that she’d eat anything composed primarily of chorizo and beans- easy to come by on the meseta and then as caldo gallego in Galicia. The bigger issue was keeping her hydrated. She really didn’t like Spanish milk or water, the only beverages she drinks at home. Instead, she lived on watered down juice and ‘Bifrutas’ for the entire trip. If your child is a picky eater, I think the Camino would be difficult. The menu del dia/peregrinos menu gets old quickly and there really isn’t a kids menu at most places. Sometimes we’d cook, but often kitchens were not available.
So, can you bring a kid on the Camino? Yes. It is difficult, but very rewarding! We met so many people because we had Catie with us, and being able to experience a different culture with her was wonderful. Her cheers of “Buen ‘Mino” warmed even the stodgiest peregrino’s heart. We may have explored more playgrounds than churches on our pilgrimage, but the experience was priceless.

Attachments

• finished web.jpg
    finished web.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 128
Congratulations on making it to Santiago - how wonderful for your family!
Thank you for sharing this very useful advice. May I use some of it in my planning guide? It would be a great help to other parents of small children planning a Camino.
May the person who stole your Croozer go to the irritable toddler and baby section of heaven and spend all eternity there!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is it possible to rent such a croozer or did you have to buy one?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back