• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 2013 - big change in my life

TricieSue

Time of past OR future Camino
wanted to April start but now late Aug-Sept 2013 start
I have gone through some major changes in my life.
I have wanted to walk the Camino for many years - I had the "want"
but it finally seems I have the spiritual reason ... it just "feels right" now

Part of what I've been through is an illness that I have dealt with and now I have lost 70lbs so far
Giving myself 6 months to continue this and training in walking

in preparation I am studying Spanish (ok I needed this to complete my degree as an adult - woo hoo)

I know when people lose a lot of weight - it can be a pressure on their heart - so I want to walk very slow - or at least with shorter distances
in addition, I love photography and would enjoy the time to stop and just soak it all in

I'm thinking of less than 10km per day (3 hours of walking?)

I am open to ALL tips and recommendations

I actually was considering biking for a portion ... then walking from Sarria into Santiago ...
thoughts on that?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi TricieSue!

Enjoy your prep! Knowing some Spanish will make a huge, positive difference to your experience. It's amazing how doors open sometimes.

If you have any health concerns have a chat with your doctor before you go, but remember that people of various ages and levels of fitness walk the Camino each year, and although there are some steep climbs from time to time you won't get altitude sickness or anything. I think most people would comfortably do 10km in 3 hours or so, especially once you get into your swing.

I'm not sure how you'd go about cycling part of the way, but it must be possible if you're keen. There are some stretches where you wish you had a bike so you could just speed through. In other places the last thing you would want would be a bike if you have to drag it up a hill etc!

Walking is probably more sociable as you regularly meet the same people along the way. Just find a good starting point and enjoy a beautiful time of year.

Buen Camino!

I too am hoping you picked the right time, because if you didn't nor then did I pick the right time for my Camino.
I have started at the beginning of July, that was a hot dry Camino, then again in at the start of June, that was near perfect weather, and more recently early May, that was my wettest Camino,

However the weather patterns from year to year are not consistent , my hope is to avoid the wet and the extremes of heat, I prefer the warmer time of the year because I don't need to carry heavier winter clothing and equipment.

Good luck with your Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello!
I am also walking in may with my daughter who will be just seven. I am a little nervous about it to be honest so our plan is to start from sarria around the 24th or so and about 10km per day also. Either that or walk from Santiago to finisterre. Hoping in the mean time to find people walking the same route with children. Or bike from Santiago to finisterre. Will see when the time comes. :D

Pollyappleseed said:
Hello!
I am also walking in may with my daughter who will be just seven. I am a little nervous about it to be honest so our plan is to start from sarria around the 24th or so and about 10km per day also. Either that or walk from Santiago to finisterre. Hoping in the mean time to find people walking the same route with children. Or bike from Santiago to finisterre. Will see when the time comes. :D
Hiya! If I were you I'd go for the Sarria option. You'll be well catered for in terms of accommodation and food stops etc. I remember seeing a lovely Spanish couple with their young daughter (just a toddler really) who were just ambling along and all enjoying the countryside animals and butterflies etc. Great to watch - they just looked so relaxed and happy. They had some kind of adapted stroller, which obviously you won't need, but I suspect the distances they covered might have been similar to what you're planning.

Buen Camino! :D

tyrrek said:
Pollyappleseed said:
Hello!
Hiya! If I were you I'd go for the Sarria option. You'll be well catered for in terms of accommodation and food stops etc. I remember seeing a lovely Spanish couple with their young daughter (just a toddler really) who were just ambling along and all enjoying the countryside animals and butterflies etc. Great to watch - they just looked so relaxed and happy. They had some kind of adapted stroller, which obviously you won't need, but I suspect the distances they covered might have been similar to what you're planning.

Buen Camino! :D
Aaaahhhh! Sigh of relief again :D thank you. I guess we can take our time and cycle or bus to finisterre. Thank you thank you! Happy Christmas :))))))

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.