• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Life Change Time

60LifeChange

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
For me, this is where my life changes drastically. My wife and I had thought that a hike on the Camino in 2024 would be a great way to see France and Spain, have healthy exercise, and have a chance to enjoy retirement.

However, that has shifted. My wife has been battling breast cancer for the better part of 16 years. And it is in the end stages, although to see her in action? You would think otherwise, as she is still zooming at 100kph. But it is in the end stages, and at some point, her body is going to give in, leaving me to walk this path alone for the rest of my years.

This is not a fishing expedition for sympathy, simply my observation of where life is heading at its current trajectory. However, the past 20 years with my wife have been my absolute best, with no complaints, no regrets, and a wonderful life lived. So if I am to walk this road, let's give those that have passed on, a life worth watching. Hence my desire to still walk the Camino. I am suspecting that next year will be my attempt to do the Camino Frances. More to follow as this journey begins.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The very fact that you posted this means the journey has already begun. I'm sure I speak for many when I say that a Camino is the best way to manage a challenging transition in life between the old way and a new, unfamiliar future. Give yourself time. The Camino isn't going anywhere. It will be ready for you when you are ready for it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The very fact that you posted this means the journey has already begun. I'm sure I speak for many when I say that a Camino is the best way to manage a challenging transition in life between the old way and a new, unfamiliar future. Give yourself time. The Camino isn't going anywhere. It will be ready for you when you are ready for it.
Thank you. Ready is a relative term, but it appears to be my gateway to many changes that are evolving in my life. Cheers.

I recently finished the Camino Frances. We met a woman whose husband had passed away and she carried a credencial for him, and had it stamped along with hers. In her own way, he was with her.
Linda, funny, my wife's name is Lynda... my intent is to carry small vials of my wife's ashes as I travel, and spread small amounts at places where I find peace and a sense of happiness. and the idea of taking her credencial along with? sounds like that too may be pretty cool to do. Just have to figure out how to pull off a credencial for a loved one who has passed. but thank you for the idea.

For me, this is where my life changes drastically. My wife and I had thought that a hike on the Camino in 2024 would be a great way to see France and Spain, have healthy exercise, and have a chance to enjoy retirement.

However, that has shifted. My wife has been battling breast cancer for the better part of 16 years. And it is in the end stages, although to see her in action? You would think otherwise, as she is still zooming at 100kph. But it is in the end stages, and at some point, her body is going to give in, leaving me to walk this path alone for the rest of my years.

This is not a fishing expedition for sympathy, simply my observation of where life is heading at its current trajectory. However, the past 20 years with my wife have been my absolute best, with no complaints, no regrets, and a wonderful life lived. So if I am to walk this road, let's give those that have passed on, a life worth watching. Hence my desire to still walk the Camino. I am suspecting that next year will be my attempt to do the Camino Frances. More to follow as this journey begins.
@60LifeChange . Thank you for sharing at this difficult time. At the moment, you are your wife's rock and I have great respect for her positivity and your support. The Camino will be there for you when you are ready and will give you space to grieve. You will find solace in strangers and company when you need it. Wishing you both a peaceful path to follow.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Linda, funny, my wife's name is Lynda... my intent is to carry small vials of my wife's ashes as I travel, and spread small amounts at places where I find peace and a sense of happiness. and the idea of taking her credencial along with? sounds like that too may be pretty cool to do. Just have to figure out how to pull off a credencial for a loved one who has passed. but thank you for the idea.
She requested it at the Pilgrim’s office in St. Jean and they said this was something they did and provided it to her. But I’m not sure if she had to show a death certificate or not. My best to you and your wife during this difficult time. I’m fortunate to be a breast cancer survivor for 22 years.

I cared for my lil Mom for many years and the last two were very challenging. Could not go on my Camino until her earthly journey had ended. Planning for April 2023. It’s bittersweet though as her passing is recent. Mixed blessings will be found on the path I’m sure and I too plan to bring some of her ashes with me. She so would have loved to be able travel to Europe. I was blessed to have a such a wonderful and inspiring role model.

Sending kind thoughts and energy to you and Lynda. Wherever your feet take you, your heart will never be alone. It will be full of love.

I feel blessed to have cried so many tears. It is a testament to the great love I have for my mother.

Recently rediscovered this poem from Albert Camus. I read it and feel strong. Ultreia y suseia ❤️ @60LifeChange

« In the midst of hate, I found there was, within me, an invincible love.
In the midst of tears, I found there was, within me, an invincible smile.
In the midst of chaos, I found there was, within me, an invincible calm.
I realized, through it all, that…
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back. »

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

God be with you.
I cared for my lil Mom for many years and the last two were very challenging. Could not go on my Camino until her earthly journey had ended. Planning for April 2023. It’s bittersweet though as her passing is recent. Mixed blessings will be found on the path I’m sure and I too plan to bring some of her ashes with me. She so would have loved to be able travel to Europe. I was blessed to have a such a wonderful and inspiring role model.

Sending kind thoughts and energy to you and Lynda. Wherever your feet take you, your heart will never be alone. It will be full of love.

I feel blessed to have cried so many tears. It is a testament to the great love I have for my mother.

Recently rediscovered this poem from Albert Camus. I read it and feel strong. Ultreia y suseia ❤️ @60LifeChange

« In the midst of hate, I found there was, within me, an invincible love.
In the midst of tears, I found there was, within me, an invincible smile.
In the midst of chaos, I found there was, within me, an invincible calm.
I realized, through it all, that…
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back. »
God be with you until you two meet again.

Buen camino to Dani7 and 60LifeChange.

Last edited:
Hello @60LifeChange what a lovely post paying tribute to your wife Lynda 🙏

Just wanted to add to others’ encouragement about taking a credenciale for your wife if that idea appeals.

In April 2022 while walking the Chemin du Piémont we met a Japanese pilgrim who carried his wife’s ashes and a credenciale for her. Like you, it was a Camino they had planned to walk together. We witnessed him explaining the ‘second credenciale’ to the hospitaleros at the gite and they did not hesitate to provide the stamp. By the time we met him he had already walked many hundreds of kms. Hs wife’s credenciale was filled with stamps. I would imagine this will be your experience too.

Best wishes and Buen camino to you both. 🙏

Yes we never know what's around the next bend.
In any case, I recommend you go to Pilgrim House when you are in Santiago.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
But please, don't expect the Camino to be a magical, transformational experience. It can be for some, but big expectations can result in bigger disappointments.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
But please, don't expect the Camino to be a magical, transformational experience. It can be for some, but big expectations can result in bigger disappointments.
Trecile, as with many things in my life, with zero expectations. I will wait to see how it all unfolds, which is the magic stuff of life.. the discovery of what lies ahead. And the memories of that left behind. Unfortunately, I also lost my first wife to cancer, so this is essentially reliving one's worst nightmare. The only transformation on this journey is me and will see where that all leads. one step at a time.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.