May or September 2012?

Ria Mattheus

Sep 13, 2011
Hi, We, 2 Females from South Africa plan to do the Camino next year again! We did the Camino Frances in 2007 and it was such a experience - so we are going back! We are not sure which Camino to do, but are looking at the Camino de Norte perhaps? But now we have a bit of a problem - what time of the year will be the best? We know that June, July and August is VERY busy and hot and that accom at the albergues can be a problem. Now which month will be the best? May or September? Is it raining more in the month of May than in September? And Temp wise? Is it still cold in May? We had absolutely wonderful weather in Sept 2007. Only one day of rain and the temperatures were great!
I will be glad to hear from the "fundies" of the Camino!
Regards
Ria

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dec 15, 2010
North West England
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2004.SJPP-SdC-Finisterre)(1998-2012 completed in sections). Norte (2006.122km) Inglés (2009)
Hi Ria.

I have walked the Camino Francés in both May and September.

In both months I encountered rain, sun, cold, heat and about the same numbers of pilgrims.

It's down to the geography, the elevation, the terrain. I have noticed that there is evidence that climate change is hitting the Camino. Early October of this year was reported to be very warm. I walked Sarria to SdC last December and as well as heavy rain I also experienced two days of very warm weather. One local said it was March weather.

The CSJ in London recommends September as the best time to walk, though I think May is lovely.

Toss a coin?

I cannot speak for the Norte because I have ony undertaken the last 113km on it and that was late September. It was in Galicia so very wet on a couple of days and with warm days the rest of the time.

Perhaps others will be more definiate but I would say either would be fine along the Frances and the Inglés.

Other routes, especially from Portugal, Seville or Madrid will require people who have walked those Caminos to give you an informed opinion.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

jennysa

Feb 8, 2009
Durban, South Africa
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
Ria Mattheus said:
Hi, We, 2 Females from South Africa plan to do the Camino next year again! We did the Camino Frances in 2007 and it was such a experience - so we are going back! We are not sure which Camino to do, but are looking at the Camino de Norte perhaps? But now we have a bit of a problem - what time of the year will be the best? We know that June, July and August is VERY busy and hot and that accom at the albergues can be a problem. Now which month will be the best? May or September? Is it raining more in the month of May than in September? And Temp wise? Is it still cold in May? We had absolutely wonderful weather in Sept 2007. Only one day of rain and the temperatures were great!
I will be glad to hear from the "fundies" of the Camino!
Regards
Ria
Hi fellow South Africans - I walked the CF in May this year and found it very crowded, especially the first 100 kms from Roncesvalles and the last 100 km from Sarria. There was always the stress of whether there would be accommodation at the albergue and I was sorry that I had not started earlier in April. However, it is a beautiful time of the year with the spring flowers and I only had 1 day of intermittent rain. I am planning to walk in September next year, but haven't finally decided on which route.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.