• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

May statistics for 2012

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Fascinating information, Falcon. Those of us who have travelled the camino often wonder about those things. I have just had to abandon the VdlP and didn't meet another Brit. It would be interesting if the age group "over 60" might be extended to, perhaps 60-70, 70-80, over 80. One would expect the "over 60" to be high, as many folk 'do' the camino on their retirement.
Again - thanks so much for the statistics.
Buen camino!
Stephen

Hi Stephen

The month by month stats are available to everyone here:

http://www.peregrinossantiago.es/

You raise an interesting question about age and retired pilgrims. Have a look here where you can examine the full analysis of the 41,935 pilgrims who have arrived so far this year:

http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com.es/

You will see that 8,055 or 19% reported that they are over the age of 60 and 6334 or 15% reported that they are retired.

So only a minority of the total number of pilgrims are over 60 and this also applies to retired people.

I'll have a look at your question of the different age brackets above 60 when things quieten down - I'm interested in this because an hour ago I issued a compostela to a woman of 89 who had walked from Ponferrada with her family. I asked her how she had done it and she replied "slowly"

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

I love to browse through the website from the Oficina time to time : a very neat site too!
Applause for the lovely lady of 89!!! Hope I will reach that age in such good health and with the support from family and friends to make a pilgrimage of that kind.

Today there were 1,301 compostelas issued by the Pilgrim Office indicating that the summer rush has already begun. Friday and Saturday normally have the biggest number of arrivals because of those who start in Sarria five or six days earlier. Monte do Gozo has 800 beds, so the number of pilgrims far exceeded the capacity of the largest albergue on the Camino. Of course, most of the pilgrims scattered to other accommodations in Santiago, but it shows volume compared to capacity.

Most read last week in this forum