• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

medical insurance

Jan and keith

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
The hubs and I have done a lot of traveling and have never purchased medical insurance. In April last year on our third day on the Camino , my husband broke his hip in the shower in Estella. Boy were our eyes opened quickly! We'd flown on a frequent flier ticket so no support from a credit card purchase of the flight either. Although he is not fully regained his ability to walk easily, we are very excited to be returning to the Camino in September. Anyone have suggestions for a medical insurance short term policy that is a good one?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I use my insurance that I have in the Netherlands. I don't know where you from, but the insurance you have back home , can you use the same insurance in Spain? ?? Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I use Allianz. That is the same company that is offered when I buy airline or Amtrak tickets. I don't buy thru the airline however as I can't see all that is offered on the policy at the time. I go thru insuremytrip.com, look at what they have to offer, and so far have always picked Allianz. I've never had to use it, and am probably paying a bit more, but it gives me peace of mind, so it's worth the cost to me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your best bet is to Google online health insurance offers in your country of residence. I would *never* travel abroad without being covered.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Look around, it is out there.
My walking buddy and I are very lucky as we have excellent travel insurance through our retirees association. Our one challenge is that any trip over 40 days requires a supplemental application and fee. Thus busy trying to plan a portal to portal Camino in less than 40 days - Thirty-nine steps?

We learned that the hard way and cringe at the places we've been and luckily didn't need it. Thanks for the info, I'll check that site. PS...university hospital (CUN) in Pamplona was outstanding! Public hospital in Estella, not so much so.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
university hospital (CUN) in Pamplona was outstanding! Public hospital in Estella, not so much so.
Sorry you've had to have first-hand experience of these places...but am glad you will be back on the road come September. Take care and may you both walk in very good health! Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum