• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Insurance

montyhiker

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2024
Currently looking at getting Travel Insurance for my Camino starting April 23, 2024 until ? (Probably around beginning of June). I’m young, at 59, and have a pre-existing illness (although I don’t think that’s covered anyway). Any thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? Gracias.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Currently looking at getting Travel Insurance for my Camino starting April 23, 2024 until ? (Probably around beginning of June). I’m young, at 59, and have a pre-existing illness (although I don’t think that’s covered anyway). Any thoughts? Experiences? Opinions? Gracias.
ALLIANZ seems to cover it if you pay for your trip within 14 days of booking. Check out this info:

I usually get insurance with my plane ticket. We have gotten insurance after the fact and it was much more expensive.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I typically get AXA for travel insurance but sometime compare prices using Squaremouth.

I’m young, at 59, and have a pre-existing illness (although I don’t think that’s covered anyway).

ALLIANZ seems to cover it if you pay for your trip within 14 days of booking.
Many companies will waive pre-existing conditions if the insurance is purchased in the first two weeks of making your first payment towards you trip.

I am now an AXA fan, since they reimbursed me 100% of my medical costs when I broke my arm in Portugal.

I have made quite a few posts about it, here's one:

I can recommend AXA insurance. I bought it through SquareMouth.com. If you decline coverage for prepaid expenses (flights, hotels, etc.) it's quite inexpensive. You will still be covered in case of flight delays, lost luggage, etc. I bought it because it is primary medical coverage - you aren't required to submit the claim to your regular health insurance first.

I bought the Platinum policy last year, and it really paid off when I broke my wrist in Portugal and had to have two surgeries there. They reimbursed me for 100% of my claim. It did take a few months to receive the check, but it saved me thousands of dollars.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We have an annual subscription to Faith Venture and they are excellent $60.00 annually. They covered 4 days for me in ICU on one trip and covered my wife's lodging and even taxi to hospital. Last October we were in Israel when the war started . We were told by the Israeli government we needed to evacuate. FV set up our emergency flights, hotels and every thing it took us 5 days to get back home. They even paid for our travel meals.

I used Berkshire Hathaway in 2023. Very reasonably priced. I didn't have to claim anything so can't speak to that process, but mentioning this firm as another option for folks. Im a solo female, aged 59.

As stated on may similar threads - my travel insurance is Travelex
pay the 1st "installment" if you will within 5 days of making your initial payment for the trip (be it hotel, plane, train or a combo if any)
Make sure the policy limit fully covers the expense (i.e. if the cost is say 1,000.01 - DO NOT purchase and insurance for 1,000.00) and you can always add the coverage in chunks of $500 if you prepay more.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We purchase additional travel insurance on every overseas trip and have used a few different companies, although have never yet made a claim. This year we upped it a bit and added in "cancel for any reason" for the highly unlikely event of another pandemic or wars possibly preventing overseas travel in mid April when we leave. Adding it to the type of plan we normally choose was not much more in cost.

My experience and counsel to you is simple... you get what you pay for... when I went in 2021 I bought Allianz... not the cheapest but...... I used them again in 2023.....they are exceedingly communicative and professional... and will deliver the 'goods' in the unlikely case you need them..... their 'sales' people will explain in great deal all of your coverage concerns..... Buen Camino !

My experience and counsel to you is simple... you get what you pay for... when I went in 2021 I bought Allianz... not the cheapest but...... I used them again in 2023.....they are exceedingly communicative and professional... and will deliver the 'goods' in the unlikely case you need them..... their 'sales' people will explain in great deal all of your coverage concerns..... Buen Camino !
It sounds like your experience with Allianz was much different (better) than this one:

I have used Allianz for my international travel trips (Thailand, France, Spain) for the past 12 years. In my recent trip to Thailand, I had a relatively small incident that required 5 stitches in my forehead. Total cost was low (about $400 US), and I provided all hospital receipts. Now Allianz is asking for not only my airline itinerary and receipt, but also proof that the credit card used for the tickets was paid. It is getting ridiculous, and appears to be a stalling technique - every time I submit one document, another is requested. Furthermore, their operation seems to be completely offshore now - I'm not able to talk with anyone for whom English is their native language.

I'm leaving for Spain in less than two weeks to walk the Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres and I'd like to have travel insurance.
What is a good travel insurance that is not Allianz? HTH Worldwide? Seven Corners? Others?

Thank-you and Buen Camino!
--james--

To close the loop on my problem with Allianz travel insurance from my trip to Chiang Mai, Thailand last winter: I received yet another inquiry asking for proof of payment for my medical bills. I was in Spain walking the Via de la Plata (with travel insurance from AXA), so there was a delay. I called Allianz when I returned home. I told them for the third or fourth time that the bills are clearly marked as PAID in red and I had paid in cash. They then asked me how I got the cash, did I have ATM receipts or other proof of how I got the cash? I kind of lost it then. I told them that it was clear that they did not want to pay the claim, so they should just cancel it and I will never use Allianz again - I will NEVER use Allianz again.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I wonder if you have ever tried to make a claim with Allianz. I have and if you would like to do a search on Allianz on this forum you may see that their complete lack of customer service and support for customers with serious medical issues is not only my experience but is also shared by others.

My experience was so bad that at one stage an Allianz employee, seemingly operating out of a remote call centre, probably in the Philippines phoned the hospital where I was being cared for and fraudulently pretended to be my wife, calling from Aotearoa New Zealand just so that they could bypass the strict EC privacy legislation and talk directly with my doctor.

If you want to spend your money with Allianz then that is your prerogative but I will choose to spend my money with a company that is more prepared to support their customers.

I used to purchase travel insurance from Alliance, but never needed to use it. After reading a number of negative claim reports on the forum, I decided never again.

I used to purchase travel insurance from Alliance, but never needed to use it. After reading a number of negative claim reports on the forum, I decided never again.
I was hospitalized in Ireland for 5 days pre walking camino days. Allianz insurance was initially very supportive on the phone, but it took them a year to pay the hospital and doctor in Ireland and I had to persistently contact them and sent them documentation numerous times, including certified mail, till they finally paid the bill! I would not use them again!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From my experience, I would rather purchase a policy from an actual person. Sure it's convenient to buy a policy online but if I need to file a claim, then I want to be able to call and speak with somebody who knows me. When you call Allianz or Travel Guard or AIG, AXA, or any other large insurance carrier, you speak to some random person who answers the phone and doesn't know who you are. And if you have to make multiple calls, then it seems like you have to explain your claim to each new person that "helps" you. I want to have an insurance agent that I can call, who knows who I am and can help me. There is no additional expense when you purchase it from an insurance agent and you get invaluable customer service when you have to utilize your policy. If you need a recommendation, then please don't hesitate to ask me. All the best :)

We have an annual subscription to Faith Venture and they are excellent $60.00 annually. They covered 4 days for me in ICU on one trip and covered my wife's lodging and even taxi to hospital. Last October we were in Israel when the war started . We were told by the Israeli government we needed to evacuate. FV set up our emergency flights, hotels and every thing it took us 5 days to get back home. They even paid for our travel meals.
When I looked into Faith Venture, it asked for my Ministry name and website. It won't let me advance to checkout without it. Are you a part of a ministry group or is there a way around this?

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.