• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical Problem

barryoglick

Time of past OR future Camino
bogg1000
Are there any hospitals or doctors for peregrinos? I am in León with a broken rib. I would like an x-ray just to make sure the rib isn’t poking into any organs. I do have medical insurance through Allianz.

I know at home it can take up to three weeks to get an appointment, so post is probably moot, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you have a smart phone do a Google / Bing search for 'centro de salud near me.' These are neighborhood health centers. They will triage you and send you to the hospital if necessary.

Alternatively, present yourself to the A&E (Emergency Room) at the local hospital.

You can ask at your hotel or albergue for help. They will help you sort it out. Take the extra rest day at Leon to sort the matter, as Leon has far better facilities than down the road.

Hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I went to the hospital called the San Francisco (St Francis). They were wonderful and my travel insurer paid for everything- X-rays, consultation, pharmaceuticals etc.
I had Spanish friends with me...that helped a lot with language.

Are there any hospitals or doctors for peregrinos? I am in León with a broken rib. I would like an x-ray just to make sure the rib isn’t poking into any organs. I do have medical insurance through Allianz.

I know at home it can take up to three weeks to get an appointment, so post is probably moot, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
It depends on whether you're from an EU country and have an EHIC card. If so you can go just about anywhere.

Thank you!!! Rib is doing better with Ibuprofen, so I am less worried, but excellent info to have! Thanks again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Possible broken rib? Possible puncturing of internal organs? Treating it with ibuprofen?
I'm not sure an internet chat forum is the right place to be seeking advice and treatment information.

Call the 24 hour worldwide assistance number on your ID Card. They should have trained reps to help you find a local doctor. Most assistance companies allow you to call collect as well.

Thanks!
Go to a pharmacy and get a recommendation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you!!! Rib is doing better with Ibuprofen, so I am less worried, but excellent info to have! Thanks again.

As a health care professional, if you’re ok to sit around and talk on the forum, I’d say your organs are fine. It’s very difficult to puncture an organ with a rib (believe it or not) and if you had, you’d know about it long before wanting to be checked out.

However Ibuprofen won’t cut it for long, you will need stronger pain relief soon enough, as you will start coughing soon. Due to shallower breathing thanks to the pain, you’ll not be clearing your lower lung well and the cough will make it harder. While you can, 8-10 times a day, take a deep breath and cough out.

Hope you feel better soon and are back on the way

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.