• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical care in Santander

sjdaotearoa

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo (2018)
Camino del Norte (2023)
Buenos días peregrinos. We are making our way to Santander this morning and one of our group needs some medical care. Are there any urgent cares clinics? Or any other suggestions please? Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That’s a very comprehensive list— does Ivar/we have an appendix here that includes this information?
I’m doing the Sarria to Santiago— do you have similar information for this Route?
Thank you.
If all else fails Google is your best friend!

Found on the internet in about the time it took to type “centro de Salud Santander”. I’ve no doubt that a similar search for any nominal urban area in Spain would produce similar results. The major hospitals in Galicia are in Lugo, Ourense and Santiago as I recall. There’s probably others but if you’re in need of their services you’ll likely get taken there by ambulance. The local Centros can and will deal with most Pilgrim afflictions

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Found on the internet in about the time it took to type “centro de Salud Santander”. I’ve no doubt that a similar search for any nominal urban area in Spain would produce similar results. The major hospitals in Galicia are in Lugo, Ourense and Santiago as I recall. There’s probably others but if you’re in need of their services you’ll likely get taken there by ambulance. The local Centros can and will deal with most Pilgrim afflictions
That’s good local experience in action.
If all else fails Google is your best friend!
Agreed—Google is ridiculously amazing— but also a massive data dump…🙈
@Tincatinker had a complete Handy List.
If we did have a Resource Area of basic Camino information as the last Pilgrim requested—it would be convenient. Why RE-invent the Wheel?

That’s good local experience in action.

Agreed—Google is ridiculously amazing— but also a massive data dump…🙈
@Tincatinker had a complete Handy List.
If we did have a Resource Area of basic Camino information as the last Pilgrim requested—it would be convenient. Why RE-invent the Wheel?
Mainly because we have no means of maintaining and updating such a resource. Unless someone reperformed the original research on, say, a weekly basis to check for changes. Googles little bots are all over the internet 24/7/365.

For most of us it is a matter of formulating an appropriate search term - a search for “medical emergency Santander” will lead you down a thousand rabbit holes. Searching for what you actually want to find and taking note of source and date of posting will deliver better results. I posted the pdf because it seemed to likely be of more ready use to the OP than a link to the Santander areas Health Authority or links to the various separate service providers

See attached:
Update: Tourist Información in the town centre rang one of the health centres under the green tab (Mon -Fri) on the list. They said pilgrims should go directly to the hospital as the health centres were for people who lived here. So that’s what we did. There for 2-3 hrs. All good.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mainly because we have no means of maintaining and updating such a resource. Unless someone reperformed the original research on, say, a weekly basis to check for changes. Googles little bots are all over the internet 24/7/365.

For most of us it is a matter of formulating an appropriate search term - a search for “medical emergency Santander” will lead you down a thousand rabbit holes. Searching for what you actually want to find and taking note of source and date of posting will deliver better results. I posted the pdf because it seemed to likely be of more ready use to the OP than a link to the Santander areas Health Authority or links to the various separate service providers
👏👏👏
I’m sure that was super helpful for them, especially when they are under additional stress/pressure of a medical situation 🫶🏻🫶🏻

Update: Tourist Información in the town centre rang one of the health centres under the green tab (Mon -Fri) on the list. They said pilgrims should go directly to the hospital as the health centres were for people who lived here. So that’s what we did. There for 2-3 hrs. All good.
Thank you for the feedback -
Since the Health Centres are probably more in numbers..
I can see easily walking into a Health Centre myself-and possibly losing crucial time in a medical situation — and then being more confused by a language barrier- I’ve minimal Spanish- but probably not medical technology—potentially making a minor medical situation more urgent 🙏🙏🙏

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.