• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meeting Pilgrims who live in Portland, Oregon

Katkando

Time of past OR future Camino
planing/hoping 2013
Hi, I've just been bitten by the bug to walk the Santiago de Campostela. Two months ago I'd never heard of it, but all of a sudden, from out of nowhere, it started ringing my bell. OK, here I am.

I live in Portland, Oregon and would like to meet others who have walked this road. My thought is to fly into Paris, spend a few days there and maybe a couple of weeks in Chartres, then train down to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, and walk from there. I will likely be traveling on a very limited budget so am looking for ways to do all of this as cheaply as possible.
Kathleen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just curious, why so long in Chartres?

Newf,
Bend , Oregon

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
newfydog said:
Just curious, why so long in Chartres?

Newf,
Bend , Oregon

Because I've heard that the art and the architecture of the cathedral there contains the Gospel according to Jesus, and I want to spend some time there to see what I think.

I will likely be traveling on a very limited budget so am looking for ways to do all of this as cheaply as possible.

One thing that can save you a lot of money... camping! The vast majority of pilgrims aren't going to do that, and a lot of them will tell you that you're missing the "experience" of alburgues by doing so, but in my opinion, they're just trying to justify why they don't camp outdoors. I walked from Le Puy to Muxia last year and camped out about 50% of the time.

It has several advantages besides being FREE. Since you aren't in town, you can't spend money eating or drinking all night long. And there are some places I camped that are absolutely magical. Beautiful nighttime skies so clear that the Milky Way just seems to pop out of the sky. Camping on top of a hill was always nice because you could see the lights from villages twinkling all around down below. Those who never camp are missing out on a wonderful experience.

And--I know a LOT of pilgrims when I was hiking who'd complain bitterly about waking up at 4:00 in the morning to race into the next town in an attempt to ensure they got a bed, then be bored to tears for the rest of the day without anything else to do. A lot of alburgues would fill up when I did my walk, but I never had to get into that rat race. I could take my time, stop whenever I felt like it, and sometimes keep hiking late in the afternoon after the heat of the day died down.

And if there's a chance of rain, get into an alburgue. It's really no fun camping in the rain! And you'll still want an occasional shower just to clean up every few days. =)

-- Ryan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
falcon269 said:
they're just trying to justify why they don't camp outdoors
My justification:
if there's a chance of rain, get into an albergue
:D

But there's no a chance of rain EVERY night, so that's not a good excuse for *never* camping outside. =)

And, to be perfectly fair, I still camped outside even if it was supposed to rain. I carried a tarp that I could set up, but it's not a bad option to go lightweight and not carry any type of shelter at all and just go indoors if there's a chance of rain.

I made a point of going indoors when it was actually raining during the day so the ground (and myself) were already soaking wet. I hate setting up camp in the rain. Once I'm under a tarp, the rain doesn't bother me at all, though! So as long as it was dry when I set up camp, no problem. Otherwise, I headed indoors. Which was convenient since I did need to take showers and did want to have that "alburgue experience."

All-in-all, it worked out really well. I'm kind of surprised that more people don't do this!

-- Ryan

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.