• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Menorca and Mallorca - GR221 and 223

klimmo

Time of past OR future Camino
Mozarabe: nov ‘19
Português coastal: oct-nov ‘21
Hi all,

A few day before setting off for four weeks of walking, no official camino this year, but two long distance paths on the Balear Island in the Mediteranean. Both with a lot of history, nature and long and winding roads.

I choose these as I wanted something different, a bit more raw nature and also solitude. I'm doing it differently too, I've booked the whole thing and I have luggage transfer too. Why? I'm coming off a long period of work, slightly overworked, and just didn't have the mental bandwith to organise it myself. And I know myself, I get overwhelmed by choices and uncertainty and will just be anxiously standing still. Also knowing myself, I know I need to move, so I booked it. And now I am happy and looking forward to it all. So, yay!

Currently staring at my packing list, and going back and forth over lots of things. At the moment it's still over 25 degrees C on the islands, but things can change quickly. What to bring? What kind of shoes?

Has anyone been there in october/november and have any suggestions as to what to expect? Snow in the Tramuntana? Tips on where to go and stay between the trips? Must do's? Things to forget?

Thanks all, if anyone is interested I can do some updates / trip reports along the way.

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please post some updates, trip reports and maybe some reviews about lodging if you feel like it. We’re thinking about walking one of these routes next year.

Have a good trip, buen camino!

Hi all,

A few day before setting off for four weeks of walking, no official camino this year, but two long distance paths on the Balear Island in the Mediteranean. Both with a lot of history, nature and long and winding roads.

I choose these as I wanted something different, a bit more raw nature and also solitude. I'm doing it differently too, I've booked the whole thing and I have luggage transfer too. Why? I'm coming off a long period of work, slightly overworked, and just didn't have the mental bandwith to organise it myself. And I know myself, I get overwhelmed by choices and uncertainty and will just be anxiously standing still. Also knowing myself, I know I need to move, so I booked it. And now I am happy and looking forward to it all. So, yay!

Currently staring at my packing list, and going back and forth over lots of things. At the moment it's still over 25 degrees C on the islands, but things can change quickly. What to bring? What kind of shoes?

Has anyone been there in october/november and have any suggestions as to what to expect? Snow in the Tramuntana? Tips on where to go and stay between the trips? Must do's? Things to forget?

Thanks all, if anyone is interested I can do some updates / trip reports along the way.

Buen camino!
Would love to hear about this trek! All the best!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Late October it is starting to cool off and there’s a high chance it would be rainy. You would be very unlucky to have snow in the mountains. Many of the tourist hotels restaurants and bars in Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa (the areas I usually visit) will close for the season in early - mid November. Having had one very bad late November trip one year due to weather we now make a point of not going into November. Just back yesterday from 3 weeks there. It has been glorious walking weather- as long as you get off early to avoid the heat. The trails are generally very well used and maintained with good signage. There is a Rother guide to Mallorca walks with GPS info which I have used for years and find helpful thou the 221/222 routes are well marked.

Late October it is starting to cool off and there’s a high chance it would be rainy. You would be very unlucky to have snow in the mountains. Many of the tourist hotels restaurants and bars in Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa (the areas I usually visit) will close for the season in early - mid November. Having had one very bad late November trip one year due to weather we now make a point of not going into November. Just back yesterday from 3 weeks there. It has been glorious walking weather- as long as you get off early to avoid the heat. The trails are generally very well used and maintained with good signage. There is a Rother guide to Mallorca walks with GPS info which I have used for years and find helpful thou the 221/222 routes are well marked.
hi! thank you for your reply! so good to have some inside info. And a few less worries (snow and routemarking). I remember a very cold and wet Mozarabe, also early november. I'm going to make the most of this pack transfer and bring a set of warm clothes and hope for the best. There's always a plan b.

I have a few days at the end before I fly home, could you recommend some places with still a bit of life (but not too much) where I could stay and what to visit?

Thank you!!

I'm planning to hike the GR221 late November from Port d'Andratx to Lluc - just two of us carrying our packs. Making the stages as short as possible. Wikiloc has some good maps for this route. After the hike, we're staying in Sineu for over a week. It's on the rail line so great for day trips, and has one of the best markets on the island. Then taking a ferry to Barcelona from Alcudia. I'll look forward to your postings about the hike, weather, etc. Supposedly October is a bit rainier than November!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
hi! thank you for your reply! so good to have some inside info. And a few less worries (snow and routemarking). I remember a very cold and wet Mozarabe, also early november. I'm going to make the most of this pack transfer and bring a set of warm clothes and hope for the best. There's always a plan b.

I have a few days at the end before I fly home, could you recommend some places with still a bit of life (but not too much) where I could stay and what to visit?

Thank you!!
I think any non resort places will be good- I love Valdemossa and Pollensa and of course Palma itself is fascinating. There are walks thru vulture sanctuary areas in Tenelles near Pollensa and Valdemossa that are not on the 221 but nice walks. Alcudia old town and Arta are both interesting towns too especially on market days. Palma market has great snack bars!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.