• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camí de Cavalls in Menorca

laineylainey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
started in 2012, hooked ever since.
So, after good conversations with those who have walked the GR223 in Menorca, specially @Annette london , I am now travelling from Maó to Ciudatella to start a short 6 day walk. I arrived yesterday and found out the Island is celebrating Sant Jorge and La Feria de Libros while I am here, so Ciudatella will be a splendid place to be today and instead of walking to Punta Nati as planned, I might just join in the celebrations and start walking tomorrow!
I wasn't able to get a book on the GR223 but there was a great link in a previous post to an online guide, also this morning before leaving Maó I popped into the Tourist office and got a good guide and map for the route.
Being April not all the bus routes are running so I am sort of limited to walking the South Coast back to Maó. However that is my choice as I like to walk linear. I know from others there are many options to stay in 2 or 3 different towns and walk to and from those centres.
So I will post my short walk for anyone interested. There is also a company who offer tailored walking holidays here in Menorca along the Camí de Cavalls which would offer greater flexibility than my own walk. I will post link later.
So far just to say my brief time here is so positive. Maó is beautiful and the people are so so friendly.
Last night I stayed in Hostal de Isla, a reasonable and very comfortable place to stop in Maó.
More later or tomorrow.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I knew Camí de Cavalls meant the Horse Road but I didn't realise that in the early 14th century residents
of Menorca were tasked with using horses to protect the coastline of their Island. So there's a heap of history together with loads of work and restoration of the paths as well as the designation t o being part of the European GR footpath Circuit which means it is a special place.
I just love all the dry walls and old refuges for animals perhaps? Also the strange circular stone constructions which may have been some sort of storage or lookout many years ago?
The terrain is strange and a little hard work for me inSo today from Ciudatella to Son Xoriguer I walked a mixture of paths through small holiday resorts with beach inlets, then a lovely but rocky path from Cala Blanca to here along the coastal path. Though I love walking by the sea, so the rocky path is not a hardship at all.
Last night I stayed in a small hotel on the Camí Cavalls, Cala bona mar brava just outside the old part of Ciudatella and I was able to have a swim at the back of the hotel in beautiful clear salty sea water! Today I am treating myself to a hotel.part of the Sagitario Group here in Son Xoriguer.
A very different walking experience but lovely all the same. I love coastal routes so it is ticking a lot of boxes!

Today's walk was a mixture of lovely beach coves and then a short inland walk through some lovely rock formation and forrest from Cala Turqueta to here, Cala Galdana, including a short step ascent before which I had thankfully had an Aquarius which gave me a bit of energy! It really is a bit seasonally warm for the time of year, which locals have also confirmed. Having said that it is gorgeous to be able to walk in such warm weather in this lovely Island.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Today was my favourite day for so many reasons. It was only about 5 hours from Cala Galdana to Son Bou but it was such a lovely mixture of all the things I love about walking. Especially on inland forest paths with glorious spring flowers lining the route and birds, hidden from sight, but making the most gorgeous singing chorus. My idea of walking heaven.
I have so enjoyed this shirt walk for all the reasons I quote for walking any path wherever it is. A chance to see somewhere new, greet new people and sometimes culture, always be in nature, and just feel part of it and recognise my connection to it and everyone. Gracias xx

hi, it sounds lovely. i'm thinking of doing this in october. how did you organise accommodation? food? water? etc.

October this year should be lovely, in fact it could be very warm? I just used booking.com for accommodation ideas and then generally contacted the accommodation providers directly. There are lots of options, though they are not cheap I found as it caters for families/couples holidaying. As the path follows the coast you will have lots of options for meals, snacks as well as even the smallest coastal beach resorts have a cafe/restaurant. The stages are short so I wouldn't worry about carrying food, only some water. Hope you enjoy it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So, after good conversations with those who have walked the GR223 in Menorca, specially @Annette london , I am now travelling from Maó to Ciudatella to start a short 6 day walk. I arrived yesterday and found out the Island is celebrating Sant Jorge and La Feria de Libros while I am here, so Ciudatella will be a splendid place to be today and instead of walking to Punta Nati as planned, I might just join in the celebrations and start walking tomorrow!
I wasn't able to get a book on the GR223 but there was a great link in a previous post to an online guide, also this morning before leaving Maó I popped into the Tourist office and got a good guide and map for the route.
Being April not all the bus routes are running so I am sort of limited to walking the South Coast back to Maó. However that is my choice as I like to walk linear. I know from others there are many options to stay in 2 or 3 different towns and walk to and from those centres.
So I will post my short walk for anyone interested. There is also a company who offer tailored walking holidays here in Menorca along the Camí de Cavalls which would offer greater flexibility than my own walk. I will post link later.
So far just to say my brief time here is so positive. Maó is beautiful and the people are so so friendly.
Last night I stayed in Hostal de Isla, a reasonable and very comfortable place to stop in Maó.
More later or tomorrow.
Hi laineylainey
I’ve just seen this thread as recommended by peregrina2000 from another post
i can’t believe I missed your posts, I must have been hibernating or something
So glad you had a great time
Its a beautiful island and the walking is wonderful
Best wishes
Annette

hi, it sounds lovely. i'm thinking of doing this in october. how did you organise accommodation? food? water? etc.
I can’t remember how we booked the accommodation but the book the GR 223 The Cami de Cavalls was invaluable for the different stages and general information about the island …
The tour of Menorca in 10 days/ 20 stages
It has beautiful photographs too
It also has a 1:75000 Overview map of the island with the marked map
It was available in some touristy shop we passed

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
October this year should be lovely, in fact it could be very warm? I just used booking.com for accommodation ideas and then generally contacted the accommodation providers directly. There are lots of options, though they are not cheap I found as it caters for families/couples holidaying. As the path follows the coast you will have lots of options for meals, snacks as well as even the smallest coastal beach resorts have a cafe/restaurant. The stages are short so I wouldn't worry about carrying food, only some water. Hope you enjoy it.
Hi All: Just researching this path and found this site. I am in Ciutedella right now and looking to start this walk. Is anyone else in the area right now?

Hi All: Just researching this path and found this site. I am in Ciutedella right now and looking to start this walk. Is anyone else in the area right now?
Hi! I’m in Ciutadella now. I’ve done Mahon to here in four days. Weather is still very good, but logistically it’s a bit complicated. I’ve got my trip organised through camidecavalls360 and can recommend.

Above was just a quick reply to @DDKKBB.

Here’s my tripreport for my first 4 days on the Camí. Short: I’m absolutely loving it, the island is beautiful! The weather is still decidedly warm and there’s still a nice number of other walkers around.

That being said, mid October is when a lot of the touristic infrastructure closes down. I’ve walked through many deserted holiday villages and accommodation as are water and food require organisation. Between Maó and Ciutadella there was a bar open in Es Grau, bar/restaurant/hotel/supermarket in Arenal d’en Castell, good infrastructure in Fornells (2km off route) and Ciutadella. I’ve met a few people trying to wing it who had to stop early due to lack of water. I booked my trip due to mental fatigue in advance, and I’m happy I did. Other walkers I’ve met either are doing out and backs or have prearranged taxis or multiple cars.

That being said, it’s absolutely beautiful here. The walks are not too hard, apart from some shortish steep hills, all very doable. And the views!!!

I’ve done the first official 10 stretches in 4 days (38, 25, 28, 23 km) and that’s pushing it. Better take your time in 5 or 6 days to really savour the route and the recommended detours.

Walked into Ciutadella today, and tomorrow is a rest day, cleaning my stuff and sleeping in and hanging about. Monday I’ll set off again in the footsteps of @laineylainey to follow the south coast of this lovely island back to Maó.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great to hear @klimmo that you are enjoying the Cami de Cavalla. I would have loved to walk the North of the Island as well but due to 2 stages, without accommodation my only option would have been, like you, to use Cami365 as I believe they pick you up and take you to accommodation off track? I decided that wasn't an option for me, but I would not hesitate in recommending them as an option to be able to walk the whole Island. The other option for the North is to use taxis or car share as you mentioned. Even with the buses, I don't think there was a route along that Northern stretch ?
Enjoy the South ftom Ciutadella!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.