• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Middle of September 2022

samrao50

Time of past OR future Camino
Via De la plata
Hello, I SCRao (73) and my wife Mari (68) would like to start VDLP Camino in the middle of September 2022.
We would like to join if any of you starting around the same time?
We are Americans and currently living in India.
Thanks a lot
SCRao

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know you live in India and it is hot there. It will be very hot on the VDLP at that time also. My friend walked it in 2018 and he started in mid September and he had temperatures of near or at 45C some days. He said he had to be off the Camino by 1:00PM at the latest. He left very, very early before the sun rose. I walked last year starting in Mid October. We had 30C+days out of Sevilla every day for at least 10 days. Very little shade. Bring one of those reflective UV umbrellas. I carried 3 liters of water (2 Frozen) with food every day. You need to plan ahead. Check to see if albergues are open or if you end up in a tiny village that there is a shop to buy food. Some nights I could not eat until 9:30 because that is when the bar would serve food. Met very few pilgrims during the day. Maybe 5 or 6 total. Usually there were a few in the albergues at night. There are long stages but if you plan you can do work arounds.
It is a very different camino to say the least. It took me a while after I got home to decide what I thought of my experience. I can't say I loved it or hated it at all. It was just really different and unique. I am glad I did it and actually would consider doing it again but starting in early March. Then, from what I have been told there are the rains to contend with. I am sure it can get messy then with all the little gulleys you walk through but for me it beats the heat any day!
Hope this didn't put you off but I didn't know how much you know about the VDLP. If you are into ancient history there is plenty to see. There are some very pretty towns to walk through. For me Merida and Salamanca were my favorites.
I think many will agree who have walked that this video although long will give you a good idea about the VDLP. He walked in summer. I doubt that the weather will be much different in Mid September. As you get much closer to Galicia I am sure temperatures will ease up alot.
Again these are just my observations of my personal journey. It could be very different for you and your wife. I am the same age as your wife and I just wanted to err on the side of caution as I do not know how much you know about the VDLP and how much hiking/camino experience you have. If you are not an experienced long hiker or have done a few caminos of course you can do it, but I would recommend doing a different camino. Also at least a working knowledge of Spanish is going to be important. I didn't meet more than a handful of people in restaurants or bars or albergues that spoke English. It is not a camino with good infrastructure like the Caminos Frances, Portugues or Norte. The local Spaniards are very nice but I never got the impression except for the albergue owners that they cater in any way to pilgrims as I do believe they saw the economic impact of their business from pilgrims was insignificant. As an example, and others may correct me, I could count on one hand the number of restaurants that had "pilgrim menus". But if you can do the VDLP you can do any of them. it is not the ultimate physical test but as caminos go I think this one, like many of the other long southern caminos are a big spiritual and mental test.

Last edited:
I know you live in India and it is hot there. It will be very hot on the VDLP at that time also. My friend walked it in 2018 and he started in mid September and he had temperatures of near or at 45C some days. He said he had to be off the Camino by 1:00PM at the latest. He left very, very early before the sun rose. I walked last year starting in Mid October. We had 30C+days out of Sevilla every day for at least 10 days. Very little shade. Bring one of those reflective UV umbrellas. I carried 3 liters of water (2 Frozen) with food every day. You need to plan ahead. Check to see if albergues are open or if you end up in a tiny village that there is a shop to buy food. Some nights I could not eat until 9:30 because that is when the bar would serve food. Met very few pilgrims during the day. Maybe 5 or 6 total. Usually there were a few in the albergues at night. There are long stages but if you plan you can do work arounds.
It is a very different camino to say the least. It took me a while after I got home to decide what I thought of my experience. I can't say I loved it or hated it at all. It was just really different and unique. I am glad I did it and actually would consider doing it again but starting in early March. Then, from what I have been told there are the rains to contend with. I am sure it can get messy then with all the little gulleys you walk through but for me it beats the heat any day!
Hope this didn't put you off but I didn't know how much you know about the VDLP. If you are into ancient history there is plenty to see. There are some very pretty towns to walk through. For me Merida and Salamanca were my favorites.
I think many will agree who have walked that this video although long will give you a good idea about the VDLP. He walked in summer. I doubt that the weather will be much different in Mid September. As you get much closer to Galicia I am sure temperatures will ease up alot.
Again these are just my observations of my personal journey. It could be very different for you and your wife. I am the same age as your wife and I just wanted to err on the side of caution as I do not know how much you know about the VDLP and how much hiking/camino experience you have. If you are not an experienced long hiker or have done a few caminos of course you can do it, but I would recommend doing a different camino. Also at least a working knowledge of Spanish is going to be important. I didn't meet more than a handful of people in restaurants or bars or albergues that spoke English. It is not a camino with good infrastructure like the Caminos Frances, Portugues or Norte. The local Spaniards are very nice but I never got the impression except for the albergue owners that they cater in any way to pilgrims as I do believe they saw the economic impact of their business from pilgrims was insignificant. As an example, and others may correct me, I could count on one hand the number of restaurants that had "pilgrim menus". But if you can do the VDLP you can do any of them. it is not the ultimate physical test but as caminos go I think this one, like many of the other long southern caminos are a big spiritual and mental test.

Thank you, So informative 🙏🏻

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back