• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Minimum distance

twinkle2017

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2018)
Hello

First of all thank you for the help re SIM cards to use while on the Camino to all who sent thoughts and advice.

Is there a minimum distance that needs to be walked each day in order to get the Compostella. As in does one have to walk a minimum of 20 kms/ day. Also I think you have to walk the last 100 kms I believe, but is there a time limit on that distance. Like do I need to do it in 4 days or shorter etc. please let me know.

Thank you

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello

First of all thank you for the help re SIM cards to use while on the Camino to all who sent thoughts and advice.

Is there a minimum distance that needs to be walked each day in order to get the Compostella. As in does one have to walk a minimum of 20 kms/ day. Also I think you have to walk the last 100 kms I believe, but is there a time limit on that distance. Like do I need to do it in 4 days or shorter etc. please let me know.

Thank you

No minimum or maximum daily. Just do not forget to get two stamps aka sellos ( more is no problem either ) per day as a " proof " you walked the last 100 km to Santiago if you want to receive your Compostela.

No, no minimum daily km necessary nor do you need to do them "in a row". It is perfectly acceptable, for example, to walk 50km on one weekend and the next 50km on the next.

The stamps in your Credencial have to proof that you:

Walked towards Santiago in a continuous way, not somewhere on the Camino some km in some direction.
You need to get at least 2 stamps/day on the last 100km before Santiago.
How many km you walk each day is up to you, but make sure when you interrupt your pilgrimage that you re-start it where you left it.

Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also, remember not to intellectualize things too much. The last 100 km means just that. As stated well above, you must walk the final 100 km on any Camino route terminating in Santiago to qualify for a Compostela. On a bicycle it is the final 200 km (from Ponferrada generally)

For example, you might have walked 690 Km to Sarria from St. Jean Pied de Port before bailing at Sarria and taking the bus into Santiago. This does not qualify for the Compostela. Only the FINAL 100 km is considered. Those are the rules. This happened to me for medical reasons in 2016 coming up from Madrid, but I was aware of it and it did not bother me.

Before that, you can do pretty much whatever you wish. In regards to obtaining the Compostela, the Pilgrim Office focuses on the final 100 km very closely. That is why you are required to have at least TWO SELLOs each day for the final 100 km. Each sello establishes a data dot on a continuous line leading to Santiago.

The Pilgrim Office staff are familiar with every stamp in every albergue, hotel and cafe along these routes. They will call out and even deny a Compostela to a pilgrim who appears to be skirting the rules or outright cheating. Yes, you would be surprised at the number of pilgrims who show up with a handful of sellos in their Credencials del Peregrino, demanding a Compostela.

Sellos are easily available just about everywhere on the final 100 Km. So, plan ahead.

Separately, if you wanted the optional (€3 donation) Certificado del Distancia (Distance Certificate) that shows when and where you started and finished, you would still have to prove the distance covered with appropriate sellos. Sporadic taxi hops or occasionally skipping a town on a bus are seldom an issue. But wholesale skipping over a lot of territory to report that you "finished" the entire 799 km Camino Frances in 14 days, WILL produce a more exhaustive line of questioning and likely a refusal to issue the document.

Just sayin...

Hope this helps.

Hello

Thank you
100 km or 62 miles

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back