• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Morton’s Neuroma shoe choice

Maartje1

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2024
Hi all!
Looking very much forward to my Camino starting in April from Madrid. I do have a thing that needs fixing though. Hoping for some insights from you to help me along.
I have Morton’s Neuroma in both feet. In daily life they don’t bother me, but during a practice walk last weekend my forefeet started hurting at about 8km’s. I already bought big, wide shoes (Inov-8 Rocfly 350), but unfortunately they didn’t keep the pain away. Hopefully I can see a podotherapist soon, and look into orthotics. In the meantime I am wondering, a part from wide fitting shoes, what type of shoe worked for you with a Morton’s Neuroma? Trail runners, nice and cushy, or something more rigid? Maybe with a rock plate or something?
Thanks!
Maartje

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have it a Morton's neuroma in one foot. For me, the width of shoe does not affect the pain, nor does any particular type of shoe (I have many) or orthotic sole (although I'm told that for some people custom orthotics work; it's just that they didn't do much of anything for me). The podiatrist put triangular felt pads in all of my shoes below the ball of the foot. I used those until they wore out, but I can't say whether they really helped. Only relief was a corticosteroid injection at the site. It rarely bothers me now and when it seems to be flaring up, an anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen) and rest usually do the trick.

Last edited:
I have it a Morton's neuroma in one foot. For me, the width of shoe does not affect the pain, nor does any particular type of shoe (I have many) or orthotic sole (although I'm told that for some people custom orthotics work; it's just that they didn't do much of anything for me). The podiatrist put triangular felt pads in all of my shoes below the ball of the foot. I used those for until they wore out, but I can't say whether they really helped. Only relief was a corticosteroid injection at the site. It rarely bothers me now and when it seems to be flaring up, an anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen) and rest usually do the trick.
Thanks Jarrad, indeed ibuprofen is definitely on the packing list :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all!
Looking very much forward to my Camino starting in April from Madrid. I do have a thing that needs fixing though. Hoping for some insights from you to help me along.
I have Morton’s Neuroma in both feet. In daily life they don’t bother me, but during a practice walk last weekend my forefeet started hurting at about 8km’s. I already bought big, wide shoes (Inov-8 Rocfly 350), but unfortunately they didn’t keep the pain away. Hopefully I can see a podotherapist soon, and look into orthotics. In the meantime I am wondering, a part from wide fitting shoes, what type of shoe worked for you with a Morton’s Neuroma? Trail runners, nice and cushy, or something more rigid? Maybe with a rock plate or something?
Thanks!
Maartje
Hi!

I have dealt with a Morton's Neuroma for many years. Insoles, no insoles, podiatrist, physio, maximalist shoe, minimalist shoe, met pads, soft soles, hard soles. Etc, etc. I've been trying my best to avoid the needle/surgery as the doc isn't convinced it will help.

The Keen brand was the closest thing to comfort. And then I tried the Altra brand. Oh man, what a difference for my feet! I wear the men's Lone Peak 6, in size 9US/42.5EU (I usually wear women's 10-10.5US). I don't even have that wide feet, but they're very "bendy" and splay when I put my weight on them. No needs for metatarsal pads either. The most comfortable shoes ever, for me! I walked Le Puy Camino in my Keens and suffered so much, honestly thought my long-distance walking days were over. But then with the Lone Peaks, I walked the West Highland Way last year with NOT A SINGLE BIT of problem. Nothing. That particular model and brand is very popular with the long distance thru hikers/backpackers.

Good luck! It takes times but you'll find the combo that works for you.

Hi!

I have dealt with a Morton's Neuroma for many years. Insoles, no insoles, podiatrist, physio, maximalist shoe, minimalist shoe, met pads, soft soles, hard soles. Etc, etc. I've been trying my best to avoid the needle/surgery as the doc isn't convinced it will help.

The Keen brand was the closest thing to comfort. And then I tried the Altra brand. Oh man, what a difference for my feet! I wear the men's Lone Peak 6, in size 9US/42.5EU (I usually wear women's 10-10.5US). I don't even have that wide feet, but they're very "bendy" and splay when I put my weight on them. No needs for metatarsal pads either. The most comfortable shoes ever, for me! I walked Le Puy Camino in my Keens and suffered so much, honestly thought my long-distance walking days were over. But then with the Lone Peaks, I walked the West Highland Way last year with NOT A SINGLE BIT of problem. Nothing. That particular model and brand is very popular with the long distance thru hikers/backpackers.

Thanks Natcats, great you found your magic combo. After reading about them here on the forum, I also ordered lone peaks, but they are too soft/floppy for me.
Also tried the speedgoats in wide, and misc Salomons. Thinking now Ultra raptors in wide might be the go, or Topo. But before ordering yet again another shoe let’s see what the podotherapist has to say about it all. Fingers crossed :)

I too have a neuroma in each foot. I bought oversized HOKA Bondi 8 shoes. They very wide and VERY cushioned. I've not walked a Camino (or Camino distance) in them but they are very comfy to walk around in.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Morton’s neuroma, reared its ugly head on my first Camino over 10 years ago. My podiatrist recommended insoles with a pad, just behind the ball of my foot. That works for me.

The type of shoe, didn’t make any difference to Morton, but my feet seem to be happiest in Hoka. The cushioning spares me the burning soles that I used to have after a day of walking on pavement.

Morton’s neuroma, reared its ugly head on my first Camino over 10 years ago. My podiatrist recommended insoles with a pad, just behind the ball of my foot. That works for me.

The type of shoe, didn’t make any difference to Morton, but my feet seem to be happiest in Hoka. The cushioning spares me the burning soles that I used to have after a day of walking on pavement.
Hoping indeed for something like this as a cure!

Hi, I have found that zero or minimal drop shoes work best for my Morton’s neuroma. My favorites are Topo Athletic and I use Dr. Scholl’s running insoles in them. For me, the pursuit has been the most comfortable model. Since I find it’s important to avoid stress on my forefoot, I also use lacing techniques to help keep my feet from sliding forward on steep downhills and trekking poles. In the early, more painful days of the neuroma, I did get a corticosteroid injection about 10 days before a Camino which helped. Good Luck!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I also have a couple Morton’s neuromas. A steroid shot was the answer and got me through the Camino in 2022. Now it only bothers if I walk more than 8 miles. Heading to Portuguese Camino in the fall so we will see.

I also have a couple Morton’s neuromas. A steroid shot was the answer and got me through the Camino in 2022. Now it only bothers if I walk more than 8 miles. Heading to Portuguese Camino in the fall so we will see.
Good luck!

Hi all!
Thanks!
Maartje
I, too, have Morton's neuroma on my left foot. Was very worried about the walk. My orthopedist recommended these metatarsal pads and they were a lifesaver. Only had issue 1 time and it was because I
positioned the pad incorrectly.

1707234343154.png

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi all!
Thanks!
Maartje
I developed Morton's Neuromas in both feet while training to climb Kilimanjaro. Like you, normal every day stuff did not bother them but when I walked any distance the pain could get intense. Sometimes it would continue for a long time even after I stopped walking. My podiatrist got me through my Kili climb with steroid injections. After Kili, I had the neuromas surgically removed. There were no shoes that could help. Orthotics might help, particularly metatarsal pads. Unfortunately, orthotics didn't help me. Good luck. Neuroma pain can be unbearable.

Most people would benefit with Wide Toebox shoes and a Metatarsal Pad.
Placement of the metatarsal pad is very important to get it right.
I use the Pedag Small pads. They're bulletproof. I stick them underneath my orthotics. It does take some adjustments to do that, so I just use Scotch Tape to adjust it slightly until it feels right, then mark the placement of the pads with a Sharpie and then permanently stick them down.

Thanks Natcats, great you found your magic combo. After reading about them here on the forum, I also ordered lone peaks, but they are too soft/floppy for me.
Also tried the speedgoats in wide, and misc Salomons. Thinking now Ultra raptors in wide might be the go, or Topo. But before ordering yet again another shoe let’s see what the podotherapist has to say about it all. Fingers crossed :)
I want to chime in that, despite their popularity, i too find all styles of Hokas too mushy. I want to caution against Altras (though of course they may work for you); my podiatrist told me their "zero drop" heel (similar to Earth Shoes), while it intuitively seems like a good idea to take pressure off the front of the foot, is actually not ideal and somehow causes more stress on the front of the foot. They also don't offer any "spring" in your step. My condition is Hallux Limitus. I am presently trying some Brooks Ghost 15s. I hope your podiatrist is helpful; my experience is not always when it comes to shoes because it is so personal. You might try training in Teva Tirras, the top rated hiking sandals. Don't bother trying anything made by Xero - they have good marketing copy but their products are junk. Good luck and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My Morton neuroma manifested in my left foot when I walked more than a mile. Like many of you I tried previously mentioned solutions except cortisone and surgery. Keen hiking shoes and boots were best and now Topos also feel fine. Altras did not work for me. My best solution for many years was New Balance insoles for metatarsal support. Unfortunately they no longer seem to be sold. I have yet to try other insole brands for metatarsal support. If you find a brand that works for you, let us know. I think we each have very individual solutions, so good luck.

I want to chime in that, despite their popularity, i too find all styles of Hokas too mushy. I want to caution against Altras (though of course they may work for you); my podiatrist told me their "zero drop" heel (similar to Earth Shoes), while it intuitively seems like a good idea to take pressure off the front of the foot, is actually not ideal and somehow causes more stress on the front of the foot. They also don't offer any "spring" in your step. My condition is Hallux Limitus. I am presently trying some Brooks Ghost 15s. I hope your podiatrist is helpful; my experience is not always when it comes to shoes because it is so personal. You might try training in Teva Tirras, the top rated hiking sandals. Don't bother trying anything made by Xero - they have good marketing copy but their products are junk. Good luck and Buen Camino!
Thanks Euphoria, will look up the Tevas for sure!

My Morton neuroma manifested in my left foot when I walked more than a mile. Like many of you I tried previously mentioned solutions except cortisone and surgery. Keen hiking shoes and boots were best and now Topos also feel fine. Altras did not work for me. My best solution for many years was New Balance insoles for metatarsal support. Unfortunately they no longer seem to be sold. I have yet to try other insole brands for metatarsal support. If you find a brand that works for you, let us know. I think we each have very individual solutions, so good luck.
More than a mile, ouch that’s tough. I read a lot about custom orthotics vs off the shelf ones and that often the first ones work equally fine at a fraction of the cost.
And also read the other day something about shoe fit: yes of course wide fit for toes, and enough space. But if you overdo it in terms of size, your toes kind of clench down for stability actually putting more pressure on the foot. Thinking now this might be the case with my feet/shoes. As you say: very individual, many remedies and fails. Will keep looking!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Currex has recently come out with an insole the incorporates a metatarsal pad. Haven't tried yet, but will and happy to report back.

Hi all!
Thanks!
Maartje
I have Morton's Neuroma in both feet too (one in left foot, two in right)... I have the same issue with pain at approximately the 8-10 klm mark. Unfortunately, I've not found changing the shoe type helps the pain - I've worn the sturdier type hiking boots and as well as trail runners and light as a feather/soft trainers. The only respite I get is not so much an entire orthotic, but, a custom made insert that sits/sticks to the inner sole of my shoe and under the ball of my feet (front). They work a treat, though, when I get new shoes the problem slowly reappears and off to the podiatrist I go for new inserts...

Years ago, a few weeks before a long Camino and after a scan I was diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma in my left foot.
In desperation due to the pain after 8kms into training walks and being not interested in steroid injections, I accepted dry needling. I was very sceptical that it would work. However many years and Caminos later I have never had a recurrence. Go ahead and give it a try.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I have found that zero or minimal drop shoes work best for my Morton’s neuroma. My favorites are Topo Athletic and I use Dr. Scholl’s running insoles in them. For me, the pursuit has been the most comfortable model. Since I find it’s important to avoid stress on my forefoot, I also use lacing techniques to help keep my feet from sliding forward on steep downhills and trekking poles. In the early, more painful days of the neuroma, I did get a corticosteroid injection about 10 days before a Camino which helped. Good Luck!
Before my Altra Lone Peak, I was likewise wearing Topo Athletics. Mine were the men's model Ultrafly. I found them *almost* perfect, but after a time, the curled-up toe shape was creating problems for me. Short distances, they're fine, but for longer walks/hikes, I go with my flat Altra.

You mention that the injection helped. If you wish to share, would you tell me how long the benefits lasted? Was your neuroma totally pain-free or could you still feel the burn/click/pebble? Glad to know another Morton's neuroma sufferer found a combo that works for them. We should start a club, eh! 😊

It was several years ago now but I think the injections lasted ~2 months. I got it done before 2 different walking/hiking trips. I don’t remember if the pebble/tingly sensation went away entirely but it didn’t hurt or burn which was super helpful! It’s been at least 5-6 years now for mine and it doesn’t hurt much anymore. I definitely still have tingling and sometimes the pebble sensation. Weirdly it did hurt a bit on my fall 2023 Camino but not enough to limit walking. Fingers crossed for this spring! 🤞

I too have suffered from Morton’s Neuroma. I did have surgery to remove the neuroma from my right foot, but was able to manage the pain in the left foot with Hoka shoes. I walked the Via Augusta and Via de la Plata in 2021 (almost 1300 km) in Hoka Stinson trail shoes. I wear a Dr Scholls 3/4 foot bed with a Good Feet insert as well. I hike on rocky trails in Arizona all winter and experience no neuroma pain whatsoever.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all!
Thanks!
Maartje
I visited seven doctors before I finally got some relief. Three years of total agony! The second shot of cortisone, shot into the exact spot, helped. Wearing size 11.5 boots in a 9.5 size shoe helps keep it at bay. Two caminhos down and I'm still crossing my fingers. Best of luck to you as I know it's no fun.

Before my Altra Lone Peak, I was likewise wearing Topo Athletics. Mine were the men's model Ultrafly. I found them *almost* perfect, but after a time, the curled-up toe shape was creating problems for me. Short distances, they're fine, but for longer walks/hikes, I go with my flat Altra.

You mention that the injection helped. If you wish to share, would you tell me how long the benefits lasted? Was your neuroma totally pain-free or could you still feel the burn/click/pebble? Glad to know another Morton's neuroma sufferer found a combo that works for them. We should start a club, eh! 😊
Hi all!
Thanks!
Maartje

Hi all!
Thanks!
Maartje
I too have this problem. I learned that insoles work but a very cheap version, after using an expensive pair that pushed my foot forward in the shoe causing horrible blisters on my toes. First I bought a shoe half a size larger than I would normally wear, brand Topo. Then I used 2 pair per shoe of flat insole inserts with breathable holes. My second trip on the Camino was pain and blister free. These inserts can be purchased on Amazon, in a package of 6 that you cut to fit your shoe. They wear out but I walked about 300 km. with the same set.

I, too, have Morton's neuroma on my left foot. Was very worried about the walk. My orthopedist recommended these metatarsal pads and they were a lifesaver. Only had issue 1 time and it was because I
positioned the pad incorrectly.

View attachment 163555
Those are the pads I wear and I have also missed the “sweet spot” a time or two when applying.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Years ago, a few weeks before a long Camino and after a scan I was diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma in my left foot.
In desperation due to the pain after 8kms into training walks and being not interested in steroid injections, I accepted dry needling. I was very sceptical that it would work. However many years and Caminos later I have never had a recurrence. Go ahead and give it a try.
Interesting! This is new to me, will look into it, thank you

Hi!

I second this, my husband has a Morton’s neuroma and the lone peaks have been his best friend. He doesn’t have particularly wide feet either. He also went up a half size. We had tried 4 other brands prior and he suffered. Those sneakers are the only ones he will walk in.

Thanks Jarrad, indeed ibuprofen is definitely on the packing list :)
Ibuprofen is probably less expensive in Spain. I’m not sure, but everything else I bought was less than my low co-pay in USA. Meloxicam is more effective than ibuprofen but the doc told me to never useboth in the same day. I never tried to get it in Spain, but all my prescription meds were cheaper in Spain and did not require a prescription.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a Morton’s Neuroma on my left foot and finally had a podiatrist assessment before my last Camino. I got special orthotics that correctly support that part of my foot.
I found at the start of my last Camino it started to hurt around 18 km and then the ibuprofen and Voltarin would come out.
After a couple of weeks I could walk much further but couldn’t do consecutive long days.
I think doing some ankle, knee and hip strengthening exercises have also helped as I don’t walk so heavily on my feet.
Poles help (wouldn’t be without them) and watching out for the road or path gradient. If my left foot rolls too much to the left the pain seems to come sooner.
I wear Merrell Moab 3 Mids in a wide fitting and Bridgedale lightweight merino socks.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back