• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Most technical / mountainous camino

klimmo

Time of past OR future Camino
Mozarabe: nov ‘19
Português coastal: oct-nov ‘21
Hi all,

My job granted my request for a month of holiday (mid october-mid november) and obviously my first thoughts were, now I can go back for another camino experience. I love mountain walking and hiking, and would like to pick your collective brain for your suggestions for the more mountainous routes.

Thanks all!
Love
Mo

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Maybe westward from Oloron but it is hardly technical. A 450km walk from Hendaye to Perpignan on the GR10 might fit your requirements.

Hi all,

My job granted my request for a month of holiday (mid october-mid november) and obviously my first thoughts were, now I can go back for another camino experience. I love mountain walking and hiking, and would like to pick your collective brain for your suggestions for the more mountainous routes.

Thanks all!
Love
Mo
Well, the San Salvador / Primitivo might meet your desire for mountain country but its only going to get "technical" if there is early snow-fall. The Camino Vadiniense y Lebaniego will take you across the Picos but, again, snowfall could be an issue. I did it in an early April back when my knees were young and spent two days in an Invierno wishing I had more sense

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all,

Thanks all!
Love
Mo
The Salvador / Primitivo combination will provide plenty of climbing - and typically that might take between 16-20 walking days - e.g.. 5 to 6 on the Salvador (Leon to Oviedo), then between 11-14 on the Primitivo (Oviedo to SdeC) - or longer, depending on how far you like to walk each day. I don't know how you'd define 'technical' but the Salvador has some 'tricky' sections.

The main towns where you could easily spend an extra day Leon - Oviedo- Lugo - Santiago de Compostela.

Weather could be a factor. You may also want to consider working the Invierno into your cominbation, as it's known as the Winter Way which might suit weather wise.

Best wishes.
EDIT - Oops, Similar recommendation above came in while I was typing!

Last edited by a moderator:
San Salvador and Primitivo are certainly in places more of a hike than a walk, but I wouldn't call them technical, either. Lebaniego looks like more, but I haven't done it.

Has anyone walked the sections from Switzerland to Le Puy? Maybe something there?

In general, Caminos do not tend toward the technical. That you are more likely to find in the hiking trails than the pilgrimage trails.

That said, the episode I am watching right now from Sara Dhooma's Camino Olvidado (Day 15) dies seem to have some scrambling in gorges.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks all!
Love
Mo
You might try the route from Chamonix to the Mediterranean sometime -- but not in Oct-Nov.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Has anyone walked the sections from Switzerland to Le Puy? Maybe something there?
I walked the Via Jacobi in Switzerland from Rorschach to Geneva and then the Via Gebennensis from Geneva to Le Puy en Velay France. 31 days walking averaging just over 27 kms a day.

Beautiful walking…good elevation Gains/Losses but certainly not technical nor I thought any more challenging then the Camino San Salvador/Primitivo combination. Cannot go wrong with either combination…great Camino walks.

Last edited:
The Camino Primitivo certainly would provide plenty of steep up and down mountain walking. None of it is technical but all is beautiful. However, that late in the fall you might carry instep crampons in case of snow. But check the website about the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria to Granada. Some challenging canyon walking and plenty of beautiful scenery. I would rather be there in November than on the Primitivo. Buen Camino

There is an ancient Camino route that follows an old Roman road up over the Pyrenees from Lescun, FR up over the Pass de Palo and down into the valley de Hecho. It then climbs up again in the Village of Sireso to a ridge which it follows until dropping down into the valley of the Veral River and proceeds to join the Camino Aragon just across from Berdun. It is occasionally waymarked GR 65.3.3 on very old markings. It can be done without tent since there are adequate facilities enroute.

Sone resources: http://vppyr.free.fr/pages_transversales/voies_aspe/aspe_lescun_hecho.php?etp=siresa_berdun

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am currently walking the Lebaniego- Vadiniense- Olvidado-San Salvador combination (about 14 days) and personally find it more challenging than the Primitivo. YMMV. It will definitely satisfy your desire to be in mountainous terrain.

If you aren’t confining yourself to Spain, the Way of St Francis from Florence to Rome might be of interest. Lots of climbing, though none of it is technical. If you want something more challenging try the GR20 on Corsica. Considered one of the most difficult routes in Europe. I’m going to have a look when there in September. Further south so perhaps less chance of early snow.

I am currently walking the Lebaniego- Vadiniense- Olvidado-San Salvador combination (about 14 days) and personally find it more challenging than the Primitivo. YMMV. It will definitely satisfy your desire to be in mountainous terrain.
Are you posting anywhere? This is the route I hope to take starting in September.
Email address removed by moderator. Please use private messaging to contact other members.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well, the San Salvador / Primitivo might meet your desire for mountain country but its only going to get "technical" if there is early snow-fall. The Camino Vadiniense y Lebaniego will take you across the Picos but, again, snowfall could be an issue. I did it in an early April back when my knees were young and spent two days in an Invierno wishing I had more sense
Loved the San Salvador. Did it in 7 days at 76 with knee replacement and back surgery. It was very doable.

San Salvador and Primitivo are certainly in places more of a hike than a walk, but I wouldn't call them technical, either. Lebaniego looks like more, but I haven't done it.

I'll let you know how it goes when I hit it in a month and I'm going over the top to Mansilla on the Vadiniense after it. The bit from Espinama to Portilla de la Reina looks to be seriously off piste (the bit from Fuente De especially looks like you summit at least one peak before you go down the other side) and both days after Potes have a 4 star difficulty on Gronze, but also a 5 star Landscape/Beauty level, which is kind of telling.

After that I will be on San Salvador and Primitivo. :)

Thanks all!

The Lebaniego- Vadiniense- Olvidado-San Salvador and then Primitivo ?? looks very interesting, and a new part of Spain to discover.

@Pathfinder075 and @pinkwadingbird : very interested to hear about your experiences, accommodations, guidebooks etc used.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Klimmo
I can't think of anywhere on the Spanish caminos that fits the desciption of 'technical' as is applied by mountain walkers or Alpinistes...
The Leb-Vad does go high, but it's simple walking and in truth a lot of it is on asphalt.
Salvador feels like the most remote one that I've been on. And for 2-3 days you really get that joy of being high in the mountains ('high' being a relative term, as I see you are from Switzerland...)
Old Hillwalker mentions the GR65.3.3. The part I came across on the HRP was on a 2000m ridge and I think that end of October and into November is not a good time to be up there. Certainly all the high staffed refuges will have been closed for more than a month by then.
EDIT If you haven't walked the Salvador and Primitivo then do these - they are great in their own right and you should just be in time to find enough accommodation. I think this is the best option.
However, I have a leftfield idea which is as follows - have a look at this thread
There have been some reports that some of the alternatives are technical in places and not for the faint-hearted. So you might want to go through the options and explore a part of the Norte coast with lesser known coastal and cliff paths. Cheers, tom

Last edited:
Someone on a thread a while back hinted that there might be a Camino Asturias. It follows the Viejo from Pamplona, then forks (off the top of my head) after Vitoria and goes higher up possibly on to the ridge line. I don't know how technical it would be, plus camino infrastructure is likely to be non existent (take a tent).

If you wanted to mix it up a bit, I watched a video of some guys going via ferrata up in the Picos, you could maybe create a new mountaineering camino route that actually involves mountaineering, or a variante aventurera. :p Of course they will say we are all crazy, but hey ho, find me a sane person (because no one is who lives life).

The “second half” Camino Olvidado, from Aguilar de Campoo to Ponferrada has more days of beautiful mountain walking than any camino I’ve walked on. The first half is nice, but nothing that would qualify as a mountain. The middle chunk of the Salvador is also spectacular.

Combining the two without missing some of the best mountain part is difficult. I know some who have walked Olvidado to Buiza and then onto the Salvador, or you can walk the Salvador to La Robla and then connect with the Olvidado, but as I said, both of those options cut out some beautiful mountain parts.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back